Sunday, April 23, 2023

Chips and Chinese

Sue's latest photo prompt has led me to another blog post: one that I almost wrote several days ago, but now I am reminded of the topic, and I also have more grist for the mill.

Yesterday's food prompt led us to the nearby town of Almonte where a chip truck has re-opened after the long winter. As far as I know, it is the only chip truck that has opened so far this spring. More will probably get set up shortly as May approaches.

Sue decided that she required fries for her daily photo post, so off we went.

I ordered the smallest container possible but two such orders cost $13.50, believe it or not.

We took them to a nearby park by the river, and Sue got her photos.

Left: your humble blogger orders the smallest fries possible.
Right: the top of the bag along with the whole scene.

Do they look good?

They weren't.

The first clue that they weren't exactly scrumptious was that AC didn't finish his order. You see, AC is not one to leave a single chip behind.

The next clue was that both of us felt bloated and gassy for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

This is the second time this week that ordered food hasn't sat well with us, for after that birthday dinner at the Chinese buffet, we both endured Mao's Revenge: particularly me with painful cramps two nights later.

It's a bit disappointing because, aside from coffee and donuts, we are not frequent diner-outers, and these occasions were both pricey in their own way. With tax and gratuity, the buffet came to $80 for two, and that was with the seniors' discount factored in. Then came the shocker of $13.50 for two orders of fries, which was the smallest size available.


23 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We have come to the point, due to digestive issues, where we rarely eat out. The costs now are ridiculous too but we’d bite the French fry occasionally if we could eat it without repercussions. This getting old business is not fun in a number of ways!

Boud said...

that's outrageous pricing. It's a long time since I dined out, since when you cook it yourself you know what you're eating, and the price is right. Better bring your own picnic as Marie does.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh those are awful prices! Enough to send one back to the kitchen, indeed! So sorry they also had digestive prices. The fries did look pretty on the photo at least. High priced photography!

DJan said...

I happily ate out last week and didn't have any digestive issues, and I'm older than you. I had fish tacos that were delicious. Sorry you had such a tough time.

Vicki Lane said...

Dear heavens, that's costly!

MARY G said...

Price of the chips made me gasp. Our truck is open in Lanark Village, but I am not sure I will indulge.
And yeah, indigestion. But sometimes worth it. Our ED brings me amazing precooked soups and the spices can get me, but the soup is so good that it makes the subsequent problem a mere bagatelle. come to think of it, maybe a bagel would help.
;-D

Jeanie said...

Ouch. Restaurant prices are up everywhere but when they go up, you expect that you will get something tasty for that. That's a chunk of change for bad fries, and all the worse with after effects. Especially if fries are a treat and not a regular thing -- when I do that, I want GOOD! Sorry about that.

Margaret said...

They look delicious so what a disappointment! I don't go out often and am always excited to do so--which makes any issues especially frustrating. I wonder what they put in the fries to make you gassy and bloated. Ugh.

Marcia said...

We do not go to Chinese buffets after I had a horrible experience with one many years ago. The food sits out too long despite what they say. Didn't you visit this chips truck last year and come away dissatisfied then?

Ed said...

The joys of getting older I suspect. I could eat anything without consequence when I was younger. Now I have to be more picky and better with my timing.

RedPat said...

The price for the chips is staggering. I worry about preservatives on the food at buffets so try to avoid them.

Anvilcloud said...

@Marcia: I think you're right, but we needed fries for the shoot, so there wasn't much choice. The nearby park was a good site for a photo. Ah well.

Arlene whitehouse said...

We don’t go out very often and especially for Chinese dishes. I am allergic to seafood and 4 times I had an allergic reaction even I wasn’t eating seafood. Come to find out many places use the same oil for everything. Recently after fasting all day for tests we stopped at a little Italian place near the hospital .since it was pricy we decided to share an entree and a salad and we each had 1 pop .even sharing our bill with tip was 63.00 .which is why we very seldom go out anymore. And know they add service fees and card fees if you use a card.

Jenn Jilks said...

I scolded JB the other day for complaining about prices! I told him he is just like my ancient hospice clients, citing bread prices of 10 cents in the good old days!
I don't think people are over charging these days Costs for everything is up. That said, when it tastes awful, or gives you indigestion, then it's a pain in the... well, you know.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been ages since I been to Canada. But back in day, it seem like Canadian dip their fries in vinegar.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

William Kendall said...

Chinese food once seriously disagreed with me, so I avoid it at all costs.

PipeTobacco said...

Ouch! Pricey, indeed. Eating out used to be fun, but now is often stressful.

Anvilcloud said...

@Dora: Many of us douse our fries with vinegar.

Joanne Noragon said...

This is awful. Everyone should be ashamed of their offerings.

Agnes CF Lee said...

food is getting pricier each day..same over here.

Red said...

$13.50 for a small fries? They're crooks.

Liz Hinds said...

The price of fish and chips has gone up ridiculously. And even the small size is big. Better to have fewer chips costing less? That said, I too always manage to finish my chips but I am finding that the smell is often more pleasurable than the eating these days.

Christina said...

Yikes! I hope your tummies have resumed normal service. Nothing more disappointing that an un upset stomach after a pricey meal. I have to admit, I have no idea how much a portion of chips retails for here but $13.50 does seem a lot, considering the cost of the raw ingredients.