Friday, April 21, 2023

Birthday Morning

You may recall that our clan celebrated Danica's birthday on Tuesday evening, but her birthday was Wednesday. When I checked on FB, her mother had posted this ↓ collage. It's amazing what you can pull together in minutes with a phone and FB. Accomplishing something like this would would be time-consuming using my old-fashioned methods.


For this actual day Shauna had another surprise for Danica.


A company came in and installed it in the muddle of the night, so that it would there on the morning of her birthday.

I rushed over with my camera, and I don't know why. I don't mean about rushing over there but about bringing my camera and not just relying on the phone. When it's a rushed job like this before everybody headed off for the day, the phone arguably does the job easier and better with its rather advanced software.

Nevertheless, I took the above photo with my camera, and her dad took this. ↓


It wasn't long before, Danica posted her learner's permit. As soon as she turned 16, she was right in there taking the test. She said that dad let her drive in a new, quiet subdivision for about 20 minutes. It's a start.


But when we posted those photos ↑ in the family chat, poor JJ was a little hurt that he didn't get to participate. The shoot was pretty much unplanned and only took a few minutes, but it looked like a good time, and he felt excluded. 

He should have been included, so, we picked him up for lunch as compensation.



Those 16 years flew by, I tells ya, but I appreicate having been around for them. 

22 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great birthday surprise Shauna planned for Danica both with the collage and that signage which was wonderful. Also nice that you and Sue treated JJ to an afternoon out.

Patio Postcards said...

I really like that lawn sign Shauna had made - what a way to start the birthday day. Yes, to have been able to be present in both the grand kids lives is a gift for you & them.

Jenn Jilks said...

Where do the years go...

DJan said...

What a lucky girl she is! A fine set of photos, too, AC. That is quite the surprise, BTW.

Marie Smith said...

You are so fortunate to be able to enjoy life with these two beautiful grandchildren, AC. You make the most of life with them for sure.

Boud said...

I like the touch of the consolation lunch! And quite a spectacular birthday wish.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, a big yard sign to surprise her! Super idea. Especially if she has friends who would be driving by. The lunch must have been really a good energy boost, if the doughnuts were the "icing on the cake."

William Kendall said...

Time does fly.

Bindu said...

You have a beautiful family. It was a good idea to take him for lunch. The photos are great.

gigi-hawaii said...

I had to laugh when I saw JJ's woeful face in the photos. But, I just loved the one with you, Sue and Danica. Very nice.

Debby said...

Those years do fly by.

Vicki Lane said...

I've enjoyed watching her grow up. Happy Birthday, Danica!

RedPat said...

You have a fine family.

Margaret said...

How wonderful! Love that collage. Great idea to invite JJ out for lunch--a win/win for everyone. I'm hoping to live long enough that my grandchildren remember me.

Red said...

Great that you recorded all the celebrations.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Such a special time in her life. The years fly by and they grow up fast. Nothing we can do about that, except try to be there.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like the nod to JJ as a valued member of the family.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Happy Birthday to Danica and that doughnut looks good.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Jeanie said...

Now THAT is a celebration! Happy Birthday, Danica!

roentare said...

What a beautiful day of celebration. So good and heartwarming

Liz Hinds said...

What great grandparents! And beautiful children.

MARY G said...

Yeo, your grandclone. Love the sign - that's a fun gift.