Sunday, April 02, 2023

Snow Over the Tulips

I do most of my blog commenting on my tablet from my chair in the monirng. So, I use the word, morning, sometimes in my comments. Yesterday, people were posting about April 01 and weather and spring and so on, and I felt obliged to inform them that it was looking pretty darn bleak out my window that morning.

You may recall that I recently posted that moring is one of the words that I consistently mistype. Well, I still do. I noticed that I typed it wrong three consecutive times yesterday before I got it right, and I think that I mistyped it differently on each of those times. I have also used the word four times this monring (er, five times now), and I have typed it incorrectly 2 (now 3) of those times. This wasn't done on purpose, but I admit that I wasn't being careful either and was just giving my fingers free reign. I left the typos deliberately this time, just for you dear folk.  

What is it that I have against the word? Maybe it's because mornings come so darn early in my life, often when it is still rightly night.

Yesterday morning was very grey and uninspiring, and I mentioned that in the comments that I made about what I was seeing from my easy chair. Rather that just talk about it, I got up to take pictures. Of course, you can't drop pictures in Comments, so here they are, one day late.

The plastic on the left pane is our rainbow-throwing prism plastic

As I sat at my chair, all I could see from that angle was snowy rooftops and grey grey skies, so I got up to take a fuller picture. It had snowed a little overnight, but the day would actually warm up to 12C/54F. But it is crazy-weather time of year, and the nighttime temperature plummeted to -10C/10F overnight. Sheesh!

I have also mentioned somewhere or other that we once had tulips blooming under the snow. Sue has no recollection of this. Was I right or wrong? Memory being highly untrustworthy, I began to doubt myself.

I found a post from April 04 2008, and sure enough, I wrote about clearing snow and finding plants growing underneath. But they were crocuses and not tulips, and they were from Sha's garden, and not ours.


I was fairly sure that I remembered digging snow from over our garden and finding tulips underneath, and I thought it was from that same year. Did I, or did I not, uncover tulips growing under our snow, or was it a false memory? I scrolled past the April 04 post, where I had found the above photo, all of the way to April 18 of the same year.

Yes, it was that warm here yesterday. Once summer arrives, it's shorts and tees for me. Do you see the tulip plants? Nikki Dee does. They were almost that tall under the snow two days ago. I know because I decapitated a few while trying to uncover them.

Here is the picture that I posted along with those words. I was holding Danica, and there was still a patch of snow that late in April. You can see the tulip plants in the garden.

That was the spring after we removed the sick tree in the previous year. We had another tree planted that summer, and I enlarged the garden around it somewhat. This newer tree isn't the healthiest either. We are close to bedrock, so maybe that is the reason.

I did find a photo of me digging out snow from over the lawn on April 03 2008. I would toss it on the pavement to get it melting, just to speed up the process. It was crazier that year than this year. We have quite a lot of snow again this year, but I am now 75 and not 60, so I won't commit to clearing much of it.

It looked bleak that April, and it will look bleak this April too, but this ↓ is what the garden looks like in late summer.




19 comments:

Ed said...

You should try spreading top soil across the top of your snow pile. I was listening to a report about how as glaciers melt, dirt and debris become exposed and their dark colors only increase the speed the glacier melts. Perhaps the soil will melt the snow faster and then help your tree and tulips by building up the layer above the bedrock.

William Kendall said...

Crazy weather is apt for this time of year.

Marie Smith said...

We still get snow every day but it’s not staying long. Still some to go from a long winter but you have us beat with depth this year, AC. As your last photo shows, this too will pass, though slowly.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We don’t have any snow in the forecast, but last night were treated to a lightning show with thunder and downpours, which may have been Mother Nature’s idea of an April 1 joke.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm with you, there is only so much energy, and I let it melt.
The snow protects the leaves, as the spring bulbs raise their cold arms to the sky!

My word is expecially!

Boud said...

I like your random typos, but don't envy the snow. We've had practically no measurable fall, which I don't mind at all.

Agnes CF Lee said...

nice scene of snow..that's a lot of snow to clear.

RedPat said...

It is so nice to see the flowers. This has been a crazy weather winter.

Barbara Rogers said...

With my poor eyesight (soon to have cataracts removed and hoping it gets better) I have to kind of guess at what words are, with or without typos. Interesting that poor little plants do push up through snow. I'd have thought them smart enough to wait till it melted. But I don't have any to watch...like you do!

DJan said...

I am thinking how nice it will be to dig my hands into the dirt and plant some pretty flowers for later. You sure have plenty of snow left! ;-)

Red said...

there are some very hardy plants that respond to light through the snow. The word I mistype is diffeent.

Granny Sue said...

I have been seeing posts from many friends about snowfall yesterday, even here in West Virginia where higher elevations got a few inches. We had very high winds but thankfully no snow. But yes, we have also had snow on tulips! As for typos, I have many. Tbe instead of the is a regular. I sometimes fix, sometimes just leave it. I figure my friends know what I mean, as we know what you mean too.

gigi-hawaii said...

What nice pictures! The homes in your area look beautiful.

Margaret said...

We're having some strange weather too. Snowy in some places! Spring hasn't fully "sprung" yet. My tulips are starting to bud but not open yet. Seems late!

Kipper said...

Your mistyping made me chuckle, I thought about Officer Crabtree in Allo Allo! Have you watched it?

The Furry Gnome said...

Wow, what colour!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Clouds shapes here in North Idaho, keep changing.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Anvilcloud said...

@Kipper: I do watch some British tv on Britbox and Acorn, but I haven't seen that show. We mostly watch mysteries.

Jeanie said...

That photo of Lacey -- for a minute I thought it was an Andrew Wyeth painting until I realized he hadn't painted anything with such current windows and view. It's beautiful.

I've had daffs under the snow. Tulips? Yikes...