Saturday, April 08, 2023

The Day After

The storm had had its way with us, but had left us in its wake by Thursday morning. Thankfully, we didn't lose power. You may recall that we were sans electricity for four days last June, and that we lost some shingles. This time the cover was somehow blown off the bbq, but at least the bbq wasn't turned over, which has happened before. At one point, we even had a rock on top of the bbq to secure the cover, but it too went sailing.

It was foggy when I awoke, and as you know, fog always interests photographers. But I was also waiting for the grocery store to open and was, therefore, biding my time. By the time I left the house, the fog had dissipated somewhat.

The first thing that I determined to shoot was our neighbours' tree, which bears cherry-like fruit, but it most certainly isn't a cherry tree. The driveway was still quite icy, but I persevered with my longest lens and got these shots. My photos are never tack sharp when I handhold that long lens, but sometimes it is what I have to do.


When I got to the park, I was pleased to see that quite a bit of fog lingered on there. That was good because fog softens the background houses that otherwise can be very distracting. I had kept my long lens on, so compositions were tight and not always the best, but I am okay with the photos regardless.

This first photo was taken from near the park entrance. I wanted to get what I could of the path leading to the tree with the broken branches.


The next photo shows the same bridge on which I posed in red two posts ago, and that is the same tree that I had leaned against on a much more spring-like day.


Finally for today, but not an absolute finally to the topic, we have a long distance photo of the other bridge, the one beyond the pond and that leads to the trail that travels alongside the river. Through the fog and just beyond the bridge, we see the root ball of a tree uprooted by the storm. The distance was so great and the fog so subduing that I couldn't see that until I got the image onto the computer.


I took one or two more photos before leaving to do the grocery shopping. I did return later, but the photos weren't as good by then. However, there shall still be a reveal.

I was somewhat fortunate that the store was open, for the traffic lights were out along the major road leading to it. I was also lucky that the hordes hadn't yet descended. for I have discovered in times past just how crazily crowded grocery stores can get before Easter. It is often said to be worse than Christmas.

15 comments:

William Kendall said...

Beautiful foggy shots.

DJan said...

I like the misty look to these shots.

Debby said...

I also love the foggy shots. Looks magical!

Tom said...

Nice ... especially like the last shot.

Jeanie said...

I think these beautiful photos are the lemonade from the storm. And I just LOVE that you did this!

RedPat said...

You were brave to venture out in those icy conditions. I would be afraid of falling on the ice.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love the foggy bright morning shots, and the icy twigs and bloom. Glad you got to shop without problems. I had forgotten that pre-Easter rush, and thought I might stop in my local grocery today...now will see how I can surely make it till Monday! Many businesses here don't close on Good Friday, but do so on Easter Monday - something I wasn't familiar with and wonder if it's a new twist in how employees really hate Mondays...or perhaps just a local thing in western NC.

Marcia said...

the berry encased in ice is stunning. lucky no outage this time.

Margaret said...

The ice covered fruit(?) looks amazing. I have a weakness for the quiet and peace of foggy shots; there's something about the blur that makes me feel calm However, DRIVING in fog never makes me feel calm!

troutbirder said...

Catch it up to your beautiful photography as always. I've been out of blocking for a while after my wife's passing and now my own medical issues butSettled in and better.troutbirder shall return to blogging and likely doing some book reviews take care along the smaller Mississippi. Ray

Celia said...

The fog is magic. Such a dreamy quality to those photos.

The Furry Gnome said...

Great photos!

Marie Smith said...

Moody, mysterious, like seeing nature through a veil. Love these AC! Glad you didn’t lose power.

Granny Sue said...

Beautiful! That last shot is my favorite.

MARY G said...

Also praising the last shot the most. The ochre reeds are a fine addition.

You were lucky with the power. Rural is not good. At one point there were three Hydro trucks in a line on the next concession road over from us with a helicopter above them spotting, we think, for downed lines because the lines leave the road there and go through the bush. That was Friday. We got hooked back in late Saturday.