Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Trimming the Tree

We call it a party, but it is just a little family get-together in which we trim (aka decorate) the tree. There are just the five of us now. It was never much more, but in the old days, it used to be seven — Sue and me, my parents, our kids, and one friend, Val.

My parents and Val are gone, but there are still three generations. Sue and I are now the grandparents, and Shauna is the parent, and the kids are the kids.

By our best recollections, Sue began this tradition about 40 years ago. For us, it became the beginning of the Christmas season, and later, the seven of us would gather again at actual Christmas. I think it began when my parents moved to our city in the early 80s. Even after Shauna moved here to Ottawa in the late 90s, she would sometimes return from across the miles for the tree party. Then, in 2005, we moved to be near her, just as my parents had once moved to be near us, and now we go to her house for things Christmas.

Without going into the whys and wherefores, pictures there are tough due to the low light. I am forced to set the camera to auto, fire away, and hope for the best. Here they are.

First thing: decorate the tree.



For many years, my mother smocked two ornaments, one for each of our two children. She has now been gone for 19 years, but a few of her ornaments come out. I don't know how many we have but this year, these four were hung on the tree.


Job well done. I think I only hung two ornaments, but in my defense, it's a narrow space, and I do take pictures.


Sue decided to celebrate by dancing with the kids. I don't think they knew what to make of it.



We always seem to get one picture of JJ on the ladder. Here he is having a bite to eat after the trimming and before heading to his hockey game.


Peace reigned once JJ and Sha were off an Danica was upstairs. 


The tv on the left displayed a very Christmassy scene and played seasonal music throughout the afternoon.. There are now many such offerings on YouTube, and Sue often has one playing at this time of year. I can't find that exact one right now, but I am embedding one below.

24 comments:

MARY G said...

What a wonderful tradition. Ours is cutting a tree somewhere on our property. The kids (and grandkids) locate one, usually before the snow flies, and it gets cut and hauled to the house in the two weeks before Christmas, hopefully on a sleigh because there is enough snow. Some years it has been tractored, if the weather did not cooperate. This year the ED has located two for a choice and they are still out there in the bush, waiting.
The light may have been poor, but you nailed the grandkids so kudos to you.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's great being so close to one another!
Caitlin still has COVID, and her MIL is visiting for a month. Upsy downsy world.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Some traditions are worth continuing through the generations and nice to see that tree decorating is one in your family. Seeing photos of your grandchildren is always amazing as they have grown up in life and your posts. The 🌲 looks lovely.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful family activity...and I loved how the kids were in hats. I have a puzzle though, what's the pretty blue lit decoration behind the ladder in the pic of JJ snacking? It reminded me of a Menorah. Or maybe a tree?

Anvilcloud said...

@Barbara. They are decorative, lighted branches bunched together.

Boud said...

Wait, wait it's still November! I get Christmassy later because I leave everything up till twelfth night. Nice family pix, especially the hockey player up the steps.

Marcia said...

From Fiddler on the Roof "Tradition, tradition!" Nice to keep those special times the same.

My tree not decorated yet. It's up and lights coming on each morning on timer but haven't tackled the task. No traditions involved with that.

Marie Smith said...

We always have a decorating day with the grandkids too. Fun times!

JJ is getting so tall!

Margaret said...

I love that tradition! We used to have my late husband get the tree; he would bring it in, put it in the stand, then string the lights. We girls would decorate it, usually with Xmas music playing. Now if I do a tree, it's by myself so not as much fun.

NGS said...

I love decorating the tree and I'm glad to hear that your family has such a good time while doing it!

RedPat said...

I will drag out the decorations this weekend and start putting things out. It looks like you have all done a fine job there.

Red said...

Keep up the traditions. It connects family together.

roentare said...

Looks like a happy hour on your end. Everyone is smiling.

Christina said...

Such a beautiful tradition, and one going for so long. Thanks for sharing this very personal post.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well done!

Vicki Lane said...

A lovely tradition and great pictures!

William Kendall said...

Quite a tradition.

DrumMajor said...

All of that jolliness looks fun. At first I thought you were trying to decorate your tree like the one on TV, but I think your tree is much better! Linda in Kansas

Debby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby said...

So very nice! I haven't got mine up, but I do have most of my shopping done. I'm awfully proud of myself.

Patio Postcards said...

I love Christmas traditions & you have established a good one with the kids & grandkids.

Jeanie said...

I love that tradition -- and thanks for the link! It looks like such a fun time and so wonderful to be with the family, enjoying all the festivities! Beautiful in every way.

DB Stewart said...

I think the dancing made this especially perfect.

Kay said...

You all have so much fun together. We are a little slow this year in getting started. Art put up the small artificial tree, BUT for some reason we haven't been motivated to decorate it. I think you have given me the motivation.