Saturday, November 05, 2022

Game 3: Internecine Warfare

Game 3 was a meeting of the two town teams. Our guys were designated as the visitors, so they got to wear their dark, away uniforms. That was a nice change for for me since I don't travel to the away games. 

The game was fast and furious, seemingly more so than usual, because I expect that each town team desperately wanted to prove themselves better than the other. Hence the title: Internecine Warfare, using the first definition below, with thanks to Merriam-Webster. Watching British tv can enhance one's vocabulary, for I learned the word on A Touch of Frost, many years ago.

The speed made the photography challenging, but the other challenge was the haze in the air. Apparently, spectators didn't notice, but I could see it when I peered through the lens.

In one of my first photos of the game, the boys lined up nicely for the camera and mostly facing it.


If possible, I must include at least one JJ pic per post. Here he is leading the chase after the puck which has disappeared from the scene.


Two very focused faces ↓ watching the play, plus raised sticks.


Gotta move that puck up the ice, away from danger.


I think the goalie's stretch makes this my favourite image of the game.


While there is officially no bodychecking at this level, the games are fast and furious. There is jostling and pushing, and there are collisions, sometimes verging on intentional. Players seem to be instructed to stay down on the ice when they feel they may have been injured. The other players then retreat to near their respective benches, and the trainer comes out. Both teams tap their sticks when the injured player gets up and skates to the bench. I have never seen an injured player not get up and skate off under his own power.


That was the last play of the game. Although there was just over a minute remaining on the game clock, their allotted ice time of one hour had expired. The result couldn't have been better in my opinion. for the game ended with the two town teams sharing a 2-2 draw.


13 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The action shots you always capture of this fast and furious game are always wonderful to see, AC. Glad to bread that no one has been seriously injured to not be able to skate off the ice. That young man in the last photo looked a bit dazed.

DJan said...

Love seeing the boys enjoying themselves so much! I do hope nobody gets hurt in this active sort of game. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Nothing more thrilling to adolescent boys than internecene warfair on the ice. Great photos.

NGS said...

You do such a great job with sports photography. It's so hard when things are happening so quickly - I'm impressed with all the shots you get that work out.

MARY G said...

I lie the third up photo the best. A perfect illustration of a turn, with puck in the foreground. You are SO good!

Marie Smith said...

That is a great shot of the goalie in the middle of the action!

Margaret said...

These are great shots. I'm happy for all the protection they wear. Those sticks! As I've probably mentioned before, I have trouble following the puck in hockey which makes the game a mystery to me. I loved "A Touch of Frost" although I cried my eyes out over that last episode. :( It was beautifully done, but it did me in.

RedPat said...

Love the action in these shots. These kids really know how to skate!

William Kendall said...

Terrific action shots.

Celia said...

Such great photos. Hockey is my favorite sport to watch. Amazing how you captured all the action.

Tabor said...

Those young men look healthy and serious. What great talent and what great fun you seem to have taking these photos.

Tom said...

I came over here because I thought your title was referring to the Phillies vs. the Astros. Oh well, hockey is good, too, esp. youth hockey. I like your blog, so I'll be back.

Vicki Lane said...

Terrific shots and how good that they tied! I love the bit about tapping the sticks when a downed player gets up.