Wednesday, November 09, 2022

Blood Red and Beaver Moon

I was reminded early Monday evening that the blood moon, or blood red moon, would be happening that night. So, I took my phone out front, checked the appropriate app, and saw that the moon would still be visible at 6, which would be the hour of the total eclipse. Of course, it would be out back.

Not knowing what the conditions would be like at 6, I nevertheless began to prepare. I attached my longest lens, 100-400mm, set up the camera more or less how I might need it to be for the eclipse photo, and set the camera on the table by the back door.

Then, I went out front to the car to retrieve my tripod that lay in the trunk. The Beaver Moon was bright and full over the buildings on the other side of the street. Not only that, but there were lovely clouds all around it. I scurried inside to get the camera, but when I got back outside, just a few minute later, the clouds were gone gone gone.

I took a photo anyway, and I am happy with the result. I have photographed full moons before, but I have gone somewhere with good sightlines to get in context with the surroundings. Otherwise, one just takes a photo of the moon, which is more or less the same as everyone's photo of the moon from everywhere. Nevertheless, I am pleased to have done it this once, especially at the last minute, and just outside my front door. Of course, the image is well cropped because my zoom lens isn't all that long compared to some that other photographers might possess..


Sue also endeavoured to shoot the moon, as it were, with her phone, but some pictures using phone cameras don't work out very well. She did get this ↓ photo of me, however. How lazy of me just to shoot from my driveway! The green cast is from the light over the garage, and the bright light on the right edge is the moon. I was using my headlamp to help me see the camera settings in the dark, which accounts for the white light farther down the driveway.


I didn't set an alarm, but I did start waking up at 5 in the morning. We have a view from the upstairs bedroom window that showed the eclipse in progress. At the time it was something like a dim crescent moon and not very impressive, so I went back to bed. Of course, I didn't get back to sleep, so I checked the progress of the eclipse again around 5:30. The picture hadn't changed much.

After making coffee and doing some computer stuff, I checked the progress of the eclipse again but remained unimpressed.. At 6, however, the eclipse was complete, and upon seeing a very faint red circle, I decided to head downstairs and outside in the 1ºC cold. 

My first photo attempt (not shown) from the lower, more spacious part of the deck included a wire right through the middle of the moon. I then stepped back onto the higher, narrow level right next to patio door. I could put the tripod on the edge of the ledge and just manage to peek around the corner of the house to get a more unobstructed photo.


While the eye is better than the camera in almost all cases. this is one time in which the camera could see the moon brighter once I adjusted the settings. and I am rather pleased that the image is as good as it is. At first, the photo was noisy (grainy) due to the very high ISO that I was forced to use, but I was able to amend some of the noise in Lightroom. There are some newer, magical programs that both reduce noise while sharpening the image at the same time, but I don't have one of those, and I am happy enough with this result.

I did take another photo to purposefully get some tree branches in the photo for context, but they are nebulous enough that I prefer the former photo. I don't think that you are seeing the branches at this resolution, but if you click to enlarge the image, you might see them on the right side of the photo.


I am fairly pleased with both the regular, full Beaver Moon, photo of the early evening as well as the two blood moon images, especially since they were all just taken out my front door and back door respectively.

As an afterthought, I took the first red image that I showed you and cropped it more, a little more like I did with the bright, full, Beaver Moon.



21 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thank you for getting up early and more so for showing the results of your blood moon photo captures. Admittedly, we didn’t even try to watch or capture any photos but remained blessedly 😴.

Marty said...

Gorgeous! I was too lazy to go out on my own search. I had no idea it would be so spectacular! Thanks for sharing.

Marie Smith said...

It was a clear night here but I slept through it. Sigh! Great photos!

Barbara Rogers said...

I already knew my iPhone camera was bad at capturing moons. So thanks for doing the work! I am surprised that your last blowup of the eclipsed moon shows dark areas in different places than the first one. I had thought the moon shines the same surface towards the earth all the time, but apparently there's a bit of rotation from moonrise to moonset...the length of time it took to travel from your front door to your back door!

gigi-hawaii said...

That's really amazing! Wow! I have never seen a red moon in my entire life, so these images are special. Thanks.

DJan said...

Wonderful photos of the eclipse! Thank you for sharing them.

Debby said...

We got up, discovered that our best view was outside our own bedroom window, and so we pushed our bed in front of the french doors and watched the whole thing tucked up in bed.

I see your picture and get the craving for a nice camera. A point and shoot is not doing it for me anymore.

Vicki Lane said...

These are great! I was pretty sure that the Blood Moon would be out of sight behind the mountain, but I checked at 5:30--yep, no joy. We have a great view of the east but none at all of the west.

Ed said...

I was up and knew about it but didn't even go outside to look. On the side of our house where it was to happen are large trees that would have blocked it and I wasn't up for just taking random moon pictures from the middle of the street. I instead prefer to let others like you do the work and just look through your pictures. My favorites are usually the ones where people get a long ways away from a foreground object so that the moon looks extremely big in the resulting context.

William Kendall said...

I didn't even know there was an eclipse until the following day.

Boud said...

Thanks for the pictures. Here I couldn't see because of trees and buildings, so though I was awake, I wasn't taking pictures.

NGS said...

Those are great photos! I'm impressed with your dedication to get out there so early and track it.

Karen said...

I was so looking forward to getting a shot at it with my new camera. I'm usually awake between 5 and 6. Guess what, I slept in and missed the show! Will enjoy others photos.

RedPat said...

I went out a few times during the night but by the time the eclipse started the moon was hidden by buildings for me. You shot is great.

Celia said...

Wonderful photos. I admire your persistence and skill. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

MARY G said...

Cheering from the bleachers. These are top entertainment. I slept in.

Margaret said...

Wonderful photos! Thanks for getting up so I didn't have to. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

These are awesome pictures!

Red said...

It's a good thong that you got some good shots. It's all I'll see of the eclipse. It was cloudy here.

Kay said...

I knew I could rely on you to get awesome photos of the Blood Moon. We considered it for a few seconds and decided to go to sleep. I haven't used my Canon in such a long time.

Jeanie said...

I'd hoped to get this but between cloud cover and sleep (and the wrong spot as the moon began to sink beyond the tree line) it was an epic fail. Unlike you -- splendid work!