Monday, November 07, 2022

It Was How Hot?

Saturday night, time change night, I decided to stay up longer than usual. I generally trundle off to bed around 10:30, but I already get up so early, that I determined to stay up longer and, thus, get up later. I have been arising at 5-5:30, and I didn’t want to get up a whole hour earlier on the standard time clock. It worked out well enough, for I was able to stay in bed until the new 5:30, praise be.

As usual, I did waken several times during the night to pay my respects to the porcelain bowl. If I recall correctly, one time was at 2:30. I realized that my watch would have computed for the time change by then, so I began to think that it was really1:30, old time. As I mulled it over in my twilight state, I realized that it really would have been 3:30 DST. That made me feel a bit better, for it meant that I had slept for the best part of four hours by then. I thought I would be able to get some more sleep to get me nearer my preferred six hours, and it worked,

It’s only an hour change, but my wee brain does have difficulty computing how that hour works. For example: Sue keeps adjusting the timer in the living room for the light to come on when it is dark. I suggested that she wait until after the time change. She said that it would come on whenever it got dark. I argued strenuously that it didn’t work that way. As I later cogitated upon this assertion, I realized that she was correct. Why does this confuse me so much?

On the same Saturday night, via Alexa, I had noticed that it was 20 degrees outside (or 68 in that other system). How weird for the temperature to be 20C at 10pm on November 05 — in Canada of all places! That is simply crazy.

Also, when I did get up for that 2:30 trip to the loo, I noticed that Sue had no covers on and was on her back. I deduced that the lady was having a hot night.

She confirmed my supposition when she got up the next morning, for she had endured a rough night. Aside from the heat, she had been awakened by a howling wind. She couldn’t stand the noise, so, despite the heat, she got up to shut the window. After awhile, she opened it, but then it poured, so she got up to shut it again. When I arose at the new 5:30, the window was cracked open, and I could see that it had rained. 

During the night, I had been oblivious to both the wind and rain. Every so often, it works in my favour to be so hearing impaired.

But Sue hears everything, especially when she is already struggling to sleep in the heat that she was feeling  By then it was only 16C/61F degrees out, which is not exactly torrid, but she was feeling the heat anyway. Sometimes I wonder if the lady might spontaneously combust.

Addendum: The next day Sue heard music. She investigated. It was the ice cream truck — on November 06.

14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Sleeping is a chore for a lot of elderly people for sure. It is certainly true in our house! Have a good week, you two!

DJan said...

I slept through our windstorm, but I couldn't stay in bed past my usual waking time. Instead of getting up at 5:00, it was 4:00 when I started my day. Time change doesn't come easily for old folks like me. :-)

Patio Postcards said...

Ice cream truck - now this person knows his audience. I'm with Sue on wind in the night, it is very unsettling. I cannot believe that we reached +24 on Saturday in November!

Barbara Rogers said...

You all sure are having a time of it, adjusting to time and climate changes. I hate warm days and rain at night, for the unit to cool/heat the bedroom in the southern wall has been over heated, and if the rain does leak into it, it feeds some lovely mold...so I will be observed by the night fairies turning on the ac, till it's dry enough humidity inside, then the heat for just a bit, to counteract the chill. Why can't life be simple!

Boud said...

I'm glad to have the ability now to just get up with the light as usual, whatever the clock says and gradually work into the change. Such a treat compared to work hours, animals and small children not observing the time!

Ed said...

There is actually a chance that your southern neighbors may go to one time all year round in the next election cycle. A bill has passed one house but needs to pass another and get signed before becoming true.

Also, I won't respond in depth here but did so on my blog post. Rest assured that there is no way your DNA can tell you that you came from caves in France unless it was something voluntarily done in the last 200 years by your ancestors.

gigi-hawaii said...

Haha. Well, to us in Hawaii 68F or 61F anything in the 60s is FREEZING!!!

RedPat said...

The weather on the weekend was glorious. It always takes me a few days to adjust ti the time change and I hate that it is dark by 5:30. I love the long evenings during the summer when we are on DST.

MARY G said...

That wind knocked out our internet for a whole day and the power cycled enough that clock resetting became a fine passtime. At some u holy hour Sunday night my phone rang and a huge English training rescheduling took,place to accomodate the school strike. And on Monday, no internet to,check the changes.
I am with you on the confusion. Maybe I need Sue?

Red said...

Really like your last sentence to emphasize how warm it has been.

William Kendall said...

The winds the last few days were tremendous.

Margaret said...

Those temps are indeed crazy, in Canada of all places! Sleeping isn't easier as we age, is it?

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The time change actually worked on our favor as we had watched a couple of movies and instead of it being later than usual bedtime, We remembered the time change. It really would not have made a difference as we would have just slept in later. Weather here is like spring not late fall.

Jenn Jilks said...

It really is time to stop this time change thingie!