Thursday, November 10, 2022

A Force of Nature

We do get birds in our tiny, town backyard: robins, blue jays, gold finches and others. But that is all during the summer. There is little reason for them to visit in winter. One winter, quite long ago, we tried to entice them with a heated bath, but that didn't draw them. Perhaps it was too close to the house. I don't know.

This year as autumn closed in more and more, we observed a pair of chickadees hanging about. There is a long-standing pole-hanger out back, so we purchased some suet and hung it there.

Lo and behold, it was being consumed.

Sue: I don't see the chickadees when I look, but I know they're there.

Then, we also saw a pair, or the same pair of birds, out front. In an excited state, we went out and purchased a pole-hanger for the front along with more suet.

We rubbed our hands in gleeful anticipation and waited for the cuteness that surely would come to ours.

Then . . . darn it all. ↓


As we watched, we saw a second gray squirrel . . . and then a black . . . and then two youngsters.

This is a neighbourhood where there were no squirrels for all of the years that we've lived here — until very recently. I really only began to notice them this year, and now we saw five of the blasted rodents in our little backyard within a few minutes.

They've since emptied a second suet block, so we will likely desist for now and try again in winter when the squirrels will, hopefully, be hunkered down into their nests. I said, hopefully, but in the core of my being, I do know that the squirrels will win, for they are an unstoppable force of nature.

Meanwhile, in addition to a few extra suet blocks, we have that brand, spanking-new hanger out front. The squirrels haven't got to it yet. but neither have the chickadees.

17 comments:

Boud said...

I think whatever you do, the squirrels will win!

Debby said...

Little acrobatic stinkers is what they are.

Barbara Rogers said...

The rodents have to survive as well as birds. Isn't it strange that we aren't happy to see them as well? I totally agree with you, being of the same species that somehow hates rodents. We had lots of bear activity when I took my bag of garbage out a minute ago...strewn plastic garbage bags up and down near the bins. I kept an eye out, but Ms. Bear seemed to have moved on! Whew, now that's a species I'm definitely wary of!

DJan said...

It was the squirrels that got me to stop feeding the birds. They were everywhere, and after awhile I realized what you just said: they are a force of nature and will always win. :-)

Margaret said...

The squirrel obstacle course video on youtube made me understand how crafty and determined squirrels are.

Marie Smith said...

Those rodents are clever and persistent! Poor chickadees!

MARY G said...

Cayenne pepper. It does not hurt the birds at all, but it sure bothers the squirrels.

RedPat said...

Unfortunately squirrels don't hibernate. They just stay in their nest if it is a bad day and pop out the next. A bit like me.

William Kendall said...

I find squirrels adorable.

Debby said...

They are acrobatic little thieves. Google 'squirrels, slinky birdfeeders'

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Squirrels can be quite determined whenever there is free food provided.

Red said...

Squirrels are a pesky nuisance. right now I don't have any because they can find better places than mine.

roentare said...

Good enough to be a gymnast!

Patio Postcards said...

I am not a fan of squirrels - rats with busy tails. Squirrels are a big reason we no longer feed the birds.

On a note please do not put cayenne pepper out - it is agony for them or any other little creature that gets it in their eyes & they will claw at their eyes until a bloody mess, so please please don't put out cayenne pepper.

Kay said...

We had a chestnut tree in front of our home in Illinois so yes, we had a ton of squirrels from miles around. They kept raiding the bird feeder so we got a feeder with a plexiglass like dome on top.

This is sort of what it looked like:
https://www.amazon.com/281-Protective-Stabilized-Polycarbonate-diameter/dp/B000HHJGO2/ref=asc_df_B000HHJGO2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141503333&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16240481209654565395&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032796&hvtargid=pla-273391447854&th=1

It was the funniest thing to watch the squirrels trying to at first jump to it, then curl their bodies around it, etc. They always failed and FINALLY gave up and had to content themselves with all the chestnuts they buried around our yard.

Jeanie said...

I feel your squirrel pain. I actually broke a window pane on the inside window as I tapped (OK, a little more than a tap) on it to scare away Bushy the Squirrel a year or two ago. I don't mind seeing the chipmunk there but the squirrels tick me off (though I'll admit, they are incredible acrobats!)

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm beginning to wonder if it my news feed?! Sigh. Here I am, though, you are such a faithful reader of mine!