Tuesday, November 01, 2022

A Dramatic Conversion

I hadn't ever considered converting an autumn photo into b&w. Autumn is all about colour, after all. But I am willing to consider new ideas and learn. When I came across a YT vid of someone doing just that, I decided to give it a whirl.

This was the original. You have seen it before but in cropped form that time.

The object, as I learned it from the tutorial, was to turn it into a dramatic and contrasty b&w, and I think I achieved that.


I don't think I would apply this technique to just any autumn image, but if you think about it, there was a lot more than just fall colour in this one. In this case, I think the conversion worked, and I also think it is a much better edit and image than the original.

You might also notice that I removed a certain object as part of the edit. You can't always control what is in outdoor photos, but you can remove them in post. Most photographers give themselves permission to do this to some extent. Adding objects , however, tends to be frowned upon although I have once or twice added birds into the sky, just as a trial and for fun. I don't think I would ever print such an image, but you never know for sure.

Speaking of printing, I am not doing any of that these days. I hope to do so again someday, but my printer remains, at least partly, on the fritz. I definitely need a new one, but pickings have been slim to none in the supply chain for the past few years. I also think I need a new computer before that.

Since the café closed, I have only sold one or two at my other venue at Sue's hairdresser. Considering my inability to print and, therefore, update my display, I have asked the proprietor if he would consider raffling them or some such for a good cause. So, my six remaining prints are going to a silent auction for a very good cause.

I may print again someday, and almost definitely will for my own pleasure, but for now, I am happy to have done that and been noticed, received compliments, and made a few sales.

15 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sometimes, turning a color image to b&w works better, I agree, and your choice was a good one as was removing that car. Offering the unsold prints for a silent auction was a very nice thing to do. It has been years since I have printed any of my own photos, but should you need any done, I am sure you know that many online sites are available and that could be an option for the future. Of course, doing your own printing may offer more control should you eventually decide to get a new one. Like yourself, I also need a new computer, but have been postponing the purchase.

Patio Postcards said...

Interesting change to b/w. I like the car gone. I'm going to be in the group that prefers Autumn colours :)

How kind & generous to allow your photo art pieces be raffled off for charity. I am sure they will be glad of the donation.

Marie Smith said...

Experimenting with your photos is a good hobby, AC. I like the black and white version!

DJan said...

I too like the B/W version. And it does look better without the car.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great idea to donate your prints to charity, and someone else to do the sales! Love both of these views, depending on my mood I guess.

Boud said...

Nice idea to pass on your work in good cause.

I always like grayscale, and old movies in b and w. There's a lot of interest in the range.

Margaret said...

Black and white images give me the feels more than color, but the topic has to be appropriate for that starkness. That scene worked perfectly. What an excellent use for your photographs!

RedPat said...

That scene works really well in B&W. And the removal of the car was a great idea.

Red said...

Experiments sometimes give a good surprise like this one.

Jenn Jilks said...

That was really well done! Good for you for raffling them off.
That supply chain is so tough. We've been spoiled!

Vicki Lane said...

The B&W definitely brings out the barn very nicely.

William Kendall said...

Both versions suit me fine.

MARY G said...

Ah, it was a car. Duh.

Jeanie said...

The conversion definitely worked. I tried something similar and definitely picked the wrong photo!

Kay said...

I really like what you did with the conversion too. The b/w really is beautiful. I love erasing things from photos too.