Thursday, November 03, 2022

Tastes, Dilemmas, and Free Will

We had Sha and the kids over for Monday supper. I baked chicken in a sauce of hoisin, hickory bbq sauce, lemon juice, gingerroot, and a bit of chili powder. We served it with rice and corn. It's a pretty good dish.

But the kids didn't think so.

They have unique taste buds, they do.

They scraped the sauce off the chicken and didn't care for the rice.

Then, JJ didn't want the lemony coffee cake for dessert. At least Danica did. JJ seldom eats desserts unless it's brownies. He doesn't care for chocolate bars or the like, but he does like his Skittles. Danica loves ice cream, but JJ cares not for it.

The Christmas and Thanksgiving feasts are almost pointless. The kids don't prefer either stuffing or gravy, but I have loved the turkey feast for as long as I can remember, and even farther back apparently—  to the point where I am told that I called the stuffing, turkey. 

Danica will have a salad without any dressing whatsoever. I pretty well need it to be smothered in order to make it semi palatable.

The kids don't like pop, but I always loved it, even though it was seldom available at our house.

They like raw carrots, as does Sue, but I only eat carrots that are roasted to the point where they no longer taste like carrots.

It's pretty much like all of life. Nobody can help what they look like, whom they were born to, what their intelligence happens to be, or what talents and abilities they have . . . or lack. Me? I like to sing, but I am not very good at it. Especially now in older age. What a pity, especially for Sue's ears as this atheist belts with fervour the gospel songs from his youth.

Although I had no clue that I would get around to free will in this post, but you also can't help what ancillary thoughts creep into your brain. But I tell you that people don't have the free will that they think they have. There's a whole lot of programming that we didn't choose. In point of fact, there's not much that wasn't pre-programmed, even what we prefer in a mate.

But back to the dilemma of what do we cook for family dinner? Second child is coming for a visit in a few weeks and likes my meat loaf. First child doesn't. I don't know about the kids because I don't cook meat loaf for family dinners because of Shauna, but I am guessing the kids won't like it either.

Shauna also doesn't like ham while Sue doesn't care for pork chops. It's hard to pig out at our house. (See what I did there?)

Meanwhile, Sue can only get me to eat cauliflower when she coats it with mayo so that cheese will stick to it while she bakes and then broils it.

Now I reminded that I bought some hot dogs. JJ will eat those. Sue won't. I must bbq them whilst the weather remains favourable. (Note: we had snow on this date last year.)

Did I tell you that I like fat? I am happy with a piece of roast beef with some fat attached. Just about everyone I know gags at the thought and trims their meat assiduously. Relatedly, I love turkey skin when it comes out of the oven. There's so much flavour there. Once again, I am pretty well on my own although memory informs me that Sue's sister likes it too. She's the only other person of my acquaintance, I think.

And life goes on. No wonder I am eternally perplexed and confused.


31 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

There is accounting for tastes! We're lucky to be able to make choices.
JB doesn't like meat, or turkey or chicken. Holiday meals are quite something!

Patio Postcards said...

While I chuckled through several of your observations ... I saw that pig connection, I thought of my own family & my inlaws family tastes at the table. Sometimes I wonder at my own gene connection or dish-connection (see what I did there). In my large family I'm the only one not to like spicy food, pepper is too spicy for me.

Jean Winnipeg said...

i loved reading this as ‘I prep a lunch fir my grandson —
‘I used to ,make all kinds of things which are not popular now, food is like navigating a series of roadworks,,,a worry.
-






DJan said...

There's no accounting for tastes, but you certainly have your hands full trying to cook for your interesting family! :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, a restaurant does sound like a good answer, where each person gets the dishes they prefer. In your case, I'm amazed at your memory of each person's culinary desires. Bread and butter for all!

PipeTobacco said...

Because you find fat quite flavorful it may be that you are amongst the folks who may have the oleogustus taste bud. It is a fairly new discovery and estimates currently suggest ~20-25% of the population may have this type of chemoreceptor on the tongue. I seem to not have it as foods with higher fat content do not taste better (or worse) to me. Another taste bud type that is not universal is the umami taste bud. Folks who have it notice a very broad flavor if they consume MSG (frequently added to many foods, especially Chinese food). For me, MSG tastes only mildly “salty” so I suspect I am not possessing this tastebud either. Estimates are that ~ 30% of us do have that taste bud, however. It appears I have only the four universal taste buds…. Sweet, sour, salty, and bitter.

PipeTobacco

Anvilcloud said...

@Pipe. You clearly have the tastebud for tobacco. 😎.

Marcia said...

We have one granddaughter close by who is a very finicky eater. Her sister will eat just about anything as will the older granddaughter in Buffalo. No accounting for people's tastes.

Boud said...

It sounds as if family dinners need to happen at a buffet restaurant! So many conflicting tastes.

Marie Smith said...

I know what you mean! Our three grandkids have a variety of likes too. One thing is sure however. If we cook Jiggs dinner, a traditional Newfoundland meal, they all eat it. They love roast chicken, beef or turkey with it.

Our grandson is not a dessert eater either. I thought it was a male thing but my husband’s favourite meal is dessert. He would forego the main meal!

RedPat said...

Wow, you need a spreadsheet to plan a meal.

Ed said...

I've always thought it was due to how we were raised. Growing up I ate what was for dinner or went hungry. As a result, I eat just about anything served to me. I have tried to do that with our children too but unfortunately with a grandmother living in the house, they have learned how to work the system when I'm not looking and they are, I think, much pickier eaters as a result.

I think another thing that plays a part is just the sheer volume of food we have access to these days. Growing up, there wasn't cabinets and massive refrigerators full of food. Now I have a fairly decent size refrigerator and an entire walk in pantry full of foods. There is always something to eat if one doesn't like what is being served.

There is hope however. As my oldest has matured, she has become more willing to try things she previously refused and has found that she actually like quite a bit of them.

William Kendall said...

My mother would boil cauliflower and serve it with a white sauce and nutmeg. I liked it that way.

gigi-hawaii said...

How perplexing! I can't figure it out myself. Different people, different taste buds.

Anvilcloud said...

@Ed. I guess I am disagreeing as I am seeing that taste in innate. I tended to go semi-hungry when I was a kid (I have over-compensated as an adult) because I just didn't like what was on offer. Just try making yourself like some food that you can't stand. In my case raw cauliflower and carrots come to mind. I know that they are good for me and that it would be beneficial to like and eat them, but I just can't.

Debby said...

There is no accounting for tastes. I also like the chicken and turkey fat, crisped and flavorful. I must have that oleogustis thing myself (and boy that makes me feel special!) I must say that there is nothing that cannot be inproved by a bit of butter.

PipeTobacco said...

Hah! That is INDEED true!!! I have a large number of theoretical pipe tobacco taste buds on my tongue. 😜

Of the options you listed….. you did not suggest tofu. Perhaps that could be a unifying choice….. either affirmative or in the negative depending upon the crowd. 🙂

Actually, though….. how about for real….a dish featuring chickpeas? When I have a vegetarian kid coming for dinner, I make many of my favorite chicken dishes….. but substitute chickpeas. Or perhaps lentils?

PipeTobacco said...

Or…. Of course…. Mac and cheese or spaghetti marinara is usually palatable for everyone too.

Margaret said...

I think we like what we like although tastes can change. I used to like beef way more than I do now. I like carrots less although cooked are fine. It must be difficult to plan a meal! Buffets are always good. :)

DrumMajor said...

Jeepers! When your offspring get hungry enough, maybe they'll eat. Meanwhile, I guess prepare a tiny bit of everything for a buffet, then it should all be gone by the folks who like it. Or maybe a new twist on a pot luck meal: everybody only brings what they like, and eat it.
I was glad the "Boston Market" restaurant was open on Thanksgiving, when I was on vacation in Florida with my young son. Turns out, the Alligator Farm run by the local Native American tribe also served Thanksgiving Dinner on Thanksgiving Day. Best Thanksgiving dinner we ever had, WITH the Indians! We had traditional stuff, but also alligator tails, and frog legs, and a wonderful version of Indian bread. Throw some tails and legs on that buffet! Linda in Kansas

Celia said...

I had one very Picky Son and one who would Eat Anything. I put four things the table, meat dish, veggie, salad and some kind of bread. No battles at the table. Could usually get a good breakfast down both kids. Picky's tastes have expanded, the youngest now middle aged has mostly dropped carbs and sweets. Come to think us four sisters were split the same way. My favorite thing at Thanksgiving (apropos of nothing) is dressing and gravy - dark meat. Our holiday meals are potluck so everyone gets something they like.

roentare said...

This is the new generation being more of a fussy eater. There is a lot of identity politics with art of eating these days. In my childhood, I should eat whatever I was given being gracious and appreciative to even have any food on the table!

PipeTobacco said...

Very nicely stated. I agree that too many “politicize” food…. especially true in younger folks.

Red said...

I should eat at your place . I like the food you use and how you cook it. Ya, kids have a small menu when it comes to food.

Joanne Noragon said...

You remind me of telling the grands, "I'm not a short order cook. Eat what you get and don't have a fit!' Imagine my delight at hearing my grandchildren recite it, from their mother's mouth!

Jeanie said...

Sounds like being with the toddlers. I personally think they are growing up with malnutrition, given that about the only thing they like are hot dogs, mac and cheese and grapes and chocolate. Ah well. We all have our faves.

MARY G said...

Yes, happens here too. Looks like everyone loved this post.
Story. I eat like my father. Who was in the navy when I was born and did not get home until I was almost five. So, I obviously did not learn it at his knee - or plate.
But preprogramming for spouses. What!!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You are not alone in having fussy family eaters as it’s the same with our grandchildren. The grandson would only eat peanut butter sandwiches for the longest time. Going out to a restaurant with he and his sister was always challenging as they would order something and then not like it. I agree with you that there is nothing better then crisply roasted chicken or turkey.

Anvilcloud said...

@MaryG. I'll stand by that. Not a specific spouse, but we all have preferences both in terms of physical and personality attributes. There is a range of acceptability beyond which we will not go. The chance part is whom we actually happen meet that fits the criteria and who also finds us within their range of acceptability. I am nailing this thesis to the door. 🤪

Vicki Lane said...

Yikes! What a conundrum a family meal can be.
Thank goodness, my John will eat most anything--but prefers to avoid cilantro. I eat everything--and like you, I enjoy the fat and the turkey skin.

Kay said...

Your baked chicken sounded wonderful. I agree about different tastes. Why does my daughter not love chocolate? I love dark. She will only eat white chocolate if she must. I don't consider white chocolate chocolate. And she never liked turkey at Thanksgiving so I had to make a broccoli casserole for her. Ah well...