Saturday, November 19, 2022

Caturday 43: The Waiting Game

It takes a lot of patience to be a cat. Lacey will sometimes hover and wait for hours — always for food, of course.

First thing in the morning, she waits for me to get up. I do not take pictures of this, for it may be 3:30, and I'd like to sleep some more. Sometimes I do get a little more sleep, and sometimes I don't.

Typically, once I do get up, make coffee, and sit at my desk, she looks at me and waits for me to feed her kibble by hand.


Then she waits for breakfast. If it is early enough, she will sleep because I don't head to the kitchen until it gets close to 9. But she is nearby and keeps track of my every movement. For example: it is just past 7:30 as I write this, and she is lying on the floor between me and the door. It's pathetic really.

These are two, recent waiting-for-breakfast shots, both taken from my recliner.



Once she breakfasts, she will enjoy a nice long nap, then she is back to playing the waiting game for her two o'clock lunch. On this day, she met me on the stairs to remind me to keep to the schedule.


While lunch time usually isn't a terribly long wait, supper often is. Sometimes, she will be ready at 5, but I won't feed her until 7. Although this might seem cruel, I know from experience that if I do feed her at 5, she will still expect the 7 o'clock feeding.

These are two of her waiting-for-supper poses. Isn't the second one heart-rending? 



She gets a small tin of some sort of seafood pate daily. It cannot by turkey, chicken or beef. Oh no no no. And it can't be chunky; it must be pate. It took us almost three years to come up with this regime, but here we are.

I divide the can it into thirds. If I give her more, she will tend to leave some. She also has free access to dry food, which is of good quality, so she is well taken care of and will not starve. Strangely enough, the dry food is chicken, and in this form, chicken works for our very strange moggy.

Oh . . . it is almost 8AM, and she has come back to the computer chair to importune me. It seems like her pitiful, pleading stare might just soften my stone heart today, and get her an early breakfast.



18 comments:

DJan said...

She has quite the stare. It's almost scary how strong it is! And she doesn't look like she's starving, does she? :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Hppy Catterday to Lacey! The queen of the house! She may have lots of soft fur, but her stare is definitely demanding.

Karen said...

My two have pretty much the same routine. What is it with the canned cat food? These two will only eat either salmon or turkey pate in the tiny cans. Sometime I try to squeak in a small morsel of something else. Occasionally it is a success but more often it ends up being the dogs desert. (SHE isn't fussy at all)

Jeanie said...

Hello, Lacey! All those black-and-white girls are the same. They love the men and at certain times of day, all they think of is their upcoming meal -- and not shy about asking for it! So far, Lizzie is pretty "I'll eat anything from a can" which my vet tells me is a good thing -- in case she goes off one, another will do!

Boud said...

That stare! You WILL feed me. If I had opposable thumbs I wouldn't have to beg and plead like this!

Margaret said...

She is manipulative like most (all?) cats. I love how cats have such a fixed routine. And definite preferences!

RedPat said...

She rules her empire.

Kay said...

That first photo of Lacey really captures quite a bit of impatience on her part. It's amazing how much emotion seems to be emanating from her eyes.

Red said...

I think this cagey character has you well trained to supply food when she wants it. She has you on a guilt trip!!!

Marie Smith said...

I laughed a lot at these shots, AC. Thank you!

William Kendall said...

She's trained you well.

DrumMajor said...

YOU are her walking vending machine! Linda in Kansas

William Kendall said...

She's trained you well.

Tabor said...

I agree with William...she knows how to train her owners.

Debby said...

If she is doing this in silence, you are a lucky, lucky man. Mine always got quite vocal.

MARY G said...

Aw, poor thin, neglected pussy!
Snort.

Patio Postcards said...

Lacey seems to be very polite in her waiting - she's such a beautiful kitty girl. A few of her stares do seem a little judgey (lol). One of my two fur girls is not so polite, she will walk all over me until I respond by getting up

Jenn Jilks said...

She is a sweetie. We've stopped buying canned food. They simply don't eat it, beyond a mouthful.