Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Maybe My Last Print Sale

Last week, someone from town hall contacted me about this photo.

They wondered if I would permit them to print it and then have it framed. This would be a parting gift be for a long-standing townhall retiree. 

There were a few problems. For one thing, the copy they had was too low of resolution to print: at least not well. I replied that I could supply them with higher quality version for a modest fee. 

I don't mind too much allowing my work to appear gratis on a website or in a brochure, but when you are willing to pay for printing and framing, I have to think that the artist deserves some compensation as well. I was not angry about this oversight, for people just tend not to think. Perhaps, the intent wasn't even that they wanted it for free, but they just didn't mention compensation.

In addition, I also suggested that I had a better photo of town hall, one that was already printed and framed. It was a leftover from when I used to (and also until recently in one location) display some of my work.


I had been saving the print for such a moment, for it has happened before that they have suddenly requested this or a similar photo. It was 11x14 and nicely framed and matted, and they could have it for $100, which might have been less costly than them making a new print and then going to the additional expense of framing and matting.

They wanted an idea of what it looked like framed because they wanted some room on the matting, so I took a quick snap that happened to include my shadow, but it was enough to give them the idea.


This may very well be the last print that I will ever sell. It's okay. I've been there and done that, and I enjoyed doing it. Maybe I will even get back into it in future. Who's to say? I, for one, just don't know. I do know, however, that I am not sorry to leave it for the present.

15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Both photos are fantastic. $100 for a retirement gift is a deal of a fab photo already printed, matted & framed.

Marie Smith said...

Great photos! Great deal!

gigi-hawaii said...

I like the first one a lot, and I can see why they wanted it. If they are willing to pay the extra cost, well, why not? It truly is gorgeous. Love it.

Debby said...

I love that, that you are so comfortable about leaving things behind while looking forward to what comes next. I'm not that way, not so much.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you made that suggestion and I hope that's what they do. It may have been an oversight but nonetheless, the artist does indeed deserve compensation, especially under the circumstances you described. It's a beautiful photo -- both of them. I can see why they liked it!

Marcia said...

$100 for that one is a steal. You should have asked more.

Boud said...

I agree, it's good to see when something has run its course in your life and let it go. But very nice to make this one last sale.

DJan said...

It's beautiful! I think you practically gave it away. :-)

RedPat said...

That seems like a real deal for $100. I hope they appreciate it.

Celia said...

I agree, that was a deal. I used to make art for sale and many people don't appreciate the value of it. Your work is beautiful.

William Kendall said...

These are fine takes.

Margaret said...

You are so gifted and I'm sure the town hall photograph will be very meaningful for that retiree.

MARY G said...

Of COURSE you should be paid. (Shaking head in disbelief)
That is a really nice photo, btw. I like it a lot.

Jenn Jilks said...

That's a nice idea!

Kay said...

Wow! Those are really great shots. You certainly gave them a great deal.