Monday, November 21, 2022

A Busy Weekend with a Reunion and a Victory

This weekend, child #2, PJ, visited from British Columbia for the first time in 5.5 years. There has been COVID and upheaval, and that is the way that it has gone.

Friday Evening

This was a sit-about-and-talk session while Jonathan was off playing his first game of the weekend tournament. From my seat, I was able to grab a few candid photos. In each case, I decided to convert to b&w, but my muse took me to a different styling in each case. In a sense, shooting candids is something like photographing hockey in that you try to capture a gesture or moment.

Danica tried to avoid the camera, but when I caught her fussing with her hair, I had the shot.

Sue doesn't fuss about photos being taken, I processed this with a high key style.

PJ had a contemplative moment, and I also like the geometry of the staircase behind.
Developing it king it into very high contrast was the choice that I made in edit.

In the next photo, they  are both wrapped in their peppermint afghans. Sue just finished PJ's in time for the visit. She has made five in total and is now moving onto another very difficult pattern.

Great mirth ensued.

Saturday

We all went to the 10 o'clock game, after which PJ decided that we should then go for a snowy and cold walk amidst blistering winds. First, I had them stop for photos on the little bridge.



From the park they continued along the trail. I went back to the car and drove it to the access point where they would exit. I photographed them walking toward me in the first photo and then stopped them for a minute to take the second picture.



Then, Sue took this me and them. Shauna looks darn cold in all of these pictures. Indeed, it was very chilly.


When the game, the second of the day, was over, several photos were taken in the lobby whilst we waited for JJ to emerge from the changing room.

This was the only whole-group photo in this very busy weekend but short weekend.

PJ grabbed my camera for this photo.

We headed back to Sha's (where PJ stayed for the weekend) for lunch and games of Wizard. I have no photos of this. Danica was at work, but JJ was with us until he had to go to his second game of the day and third of the tournament..

Sue, Sha and PJ went to the game, but I picked up Danica from work and then went to the game in progress. I only got to see and shoot the last half, but I am not going to show my action hockey photos in this post.

JJ was scheduled to stay with Dad who would take him to the Sunday morning game. But he dropped by to show us his team award as King of the Game. PJ posed with him and his crown.



Sunday


Jonathan was off winning another hockey game, and Sue and I visited with PJ and Shauna until PJ left for Toronto around noon. PJ will fly back to Vancouver on Tuesday.

Conclusion


All in all, it was a brief and whirlwind visit, especially with the tournament to work around. But it was a good visit and it seemed that 5.5 years had not elapsed. You will excuse me, however, for wishing that we won't have to wait so long for PJ's next visit.

But Also . . . 


Before I go, let me tell you a bit about the tournament. They played five games in three days. Under the circumstances, I only photographed one-and-a-half games. They won their Friday evening game, and got through Saturday with a win and a draw, before winning their semi final match on Sunday morning.

The championship game on Sunday evening was a real humdinger, which the boys won, 4-3. I was happy to enjoy it from the stands rather than take more photos. I have many hockey photos already, and after the hectic weekend, I decided that I just wanted to sit and enjoy the game.

The immediate victory celebration.


Jonathan gets his medal.



They are having their victory team photo taken here. Jonathan is the one boy in shadow: back row, left.



We waited in the lobby to cheer the emerging hero, and of course, we took a photo. On the right are his dad and two stepsisters. You know the rest.


Later, his dad sent this photo.



There was a lot in this post, which has not been the type of post that I prefer to write, but needs must as they say. I decided to include the victory photos, even though PJ had left, for it feels like the tournament was part of the PJ visit. I'll show some of my action photos soon, probably tomorrow.



16 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

What a wonderful weekend with your family & yes let's hope that PJ's next visit isn't so long between visits. Some great candidate photos. Well done JJ & the team.
PS - I really like those peppermint afghans.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It was nice to see and read about this family series of photos from a quite busy weekend with a seemingly long overdue family reunion and a championship hockey game (congrats to grandson JJ). It did seem rather curious in that you mentioned a future get together with PJ might be even further in the future than this one, but then it I may have missed some earlier reference as to that reason.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful family activities well documented here! Thanks so much for sharing them with us. You have some winners for sure!

Anvilcloud said...

Thanks Beatrice. I don't know what I meant and have rewritten that part. I had probably edited over something previous and didn't quite get it right.

gigi-hawaii said...

Well, that was such a sweet visit by your other daughter. My, she is so tall; she towers over everybody. Loved all your photos. Always nice to see your photos of your family.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful family pictures! And the profile shot of PJ is terrific.

Red said...

That's almost too much excitement for one week end. congratulations to Jonathan and his winning a medal.

Margaret said...

I love these family photos and that you had such a wonderful time during PJ's visit. It's been hard to be so far away from our loved ones, but it feels like things are opening up a bit more. Hopefully that will continue, and you'll be able to see each other more frequently! Is PJ tall or is it just an optical ilusion?

RedPat said...

That certainly sounds like a very full weekend. How nice that you could get the family all together like that.

roentare said...

This is like a wonderful family reunion altogether. No one is uncomfortable with the portraits either. BTW looks getting cold there too

Debby said...

PJ has obviously inherited the 'photography gene'. What a nice picture of you and Sue!

It sounds like it was a standout weekend for your family. Congratulations to JJ.

Marie Smith said...

A whirlwind visit but a great one by the look of it! It must be great to see PJ after all this time! A great family weekend!

Boud said...

What a fabulous smile PJ has! Happy time all round. Yes, let's hope not so long till next time.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been a while since I been to hockey game.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jenn Jilks said...

What a wonderful visit! So good to see all the family. Funny we have kids in Vancouver, too.
Caitlin picked up COVID, she thinks from her friend, and has been ill this weekend. No visits for us...
Take care.

William Kendall said...

Quite a visit!