Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Buppa's and JJ's Grade Seven Handiwork

I have never been a handyman sort of guy, even though I was forced to take industrial arts in grades 6 and 7. We would walk to another school that had that facility and then return back to ours. Then in grades 8 and 9 of high school, I took lines of woodworking, metal work and drafting.

From the metal work course, I remember making a little spice rack that my mother kept around, I guess until she passed. Back in 7, I made a ring toss toy based on a comic book cover. I remember walking home to lunch one day, thinking what the heck can I use for a ring toy. Then I remembered my mighty mouse comic book with an arm raised. I copied the picture and made the arm longer. While I can't draw from my head, I can sometimes draw a copy resembling what I see. I don't know what happened to that. I do wonder because it wasn't too bad. I expect that it didn't come with us when we moved from Montreal to Toronto.

There were two other items that were kept for awhile. One was a trivet made out of wood, with various cuttings on the top. That one was poor, but I think it hung around for a long time, much to my embarrassment.

This other thing I still have. For whatever reason, I hung on to it after Mom passed. I did it in grade 7 when I was 12 years old. I wrote on the back and identified the grade and school, so I am not just going by memory. It is just a copper ornament. I think, but I can't be sure, that the little hook to hang it was part of the project.

Last school year, when Jonathan was in grade 7, he brought us one of his creations from school. Since we both had knick knacks from the same school grade, I thought I would photograph them together. There is some distortion here ↓ for his piece is actually a bit smaller than mine.

I lit the tea candle and took another photo. Again, his seems comparatively larger than it is because I placed it in front.

I just thought that the two grade-seven pieces by grandfather and grandson should be immortalized together.


18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

These are great pieces for 12 year olds to have made!

Jeanie said...

I love that you photographed them together. I also think you are selling yourself short. I would call BOTH pieces very nice and ones I'd be happy to have in my home today.

Boud said...

Pictures for the generations! I like the beaten copper one particularly.

Barbara Rogers said...

Very nice workmanship, which is what it's all about. Learn the technique and apply it to an object, and if you're lucky it comes out well, and is imortalized in photos too!

Marcia said...

JJ's looks like a wooden puzzle too. Is it? I bet he's proud of what he made.

Patio Postcards said...

I like the idea of the photo together of Grandfather & Grandson school projects ... it reminds me of The Repair Shop when several men bring in projects their Grandfathers did & they want to keep them going.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is really fun!
My kids took both Home Ec and Tech. When I was a kid in Toronto, they didn't offer tech to the girls. I nearly failed Home Ec!

Vicki Lane said...

I really like the little copper thingy. We still have (somewhere) a lamp John made in 7th or 8th grade-- a little wooden pump with a pull chain in the handle so that you turn on the lamp by pumping. I think every student should take both shop and home ec. And maybe basic cr stuff as well.

RedPat said...

Memories.

Margaret said...

That's a beautiful idea--a very special photo!

roentare said...

That is a good excellent craftmanship in making these.

William Kendall said...

That last shot is my favourite.

Red said...

Cool to have grandfather and son do a similar assignment.

The Furry Gnome said...

Definitely immortal!

Debby said...

Very nice. I would like to see JJ's candleholder. It looks like a puzzle. I like the ornament as well. I still have my father's cutting board that he made in high school 70 years ago.

DrumMajor said...

You're a cool grandpa! I still have my 34 year=old son's handiwork from school. Linda in Kansas

MARY G said...

My daughter's Grade 7 woodworking class project was a bowl. It sits in our front hall to this day, holding keys. I had a bit of envy about this as in my school days, only boys got to do woodworking and shop.
Hey, you had good hands.
Love the side lit photo.

Kay said...

This is very cool. I'm impressed with both pieces.