Friday, November 04, 2022

Morning Habits and Greetings

 After morning computer time, which among other things may include uploading a photo to Flickr and very often either writing or editing a blog post, I eventually get around to a little bit of braining. I start with Sudoku, first a hard level game and then a medium difficulty one. You would think that I would begin with the medium to warm my brain up, but I am not prone to doing things in the usual and sensible way. I do make the medium one harder by not permitting myself to use notations. I leave every cell blank until the final number goes in. 

It may take me up to 20 minutes, and sometimes, more, to complete a hard game and fewer than 10 minutes to finish a medium-level game. My average time is 18:12 for hard and 9:45 for medium. I don't play either Easy or Expert levels. Expert just takes way too much time.

Golly gee wiz, I got sidetracked again. I mainly want to tell you that after computer time and Sudoku, only then do I turn to Wordle. I leave it until the end because I know that I will want to communicate my results to the family, and I allow them to at least wake up, with Sue excepted sometimes.

Recently, my little posts have been turning into morning greetings, perhaps with a bit of news. This ↓ was from yesterday.


No one really responds. Well, I understand that Sha is very busy at work. The kids are at or on their way to school, and they really don't care about a farting, old grampa's doings anyway although Danica needed some clarification on the McDs yesterday. I was speaking of our friends, the McDonalds whom we meet at McDonalds', but Danica was wondering if I meant the cousins, whose name also begins with a McD.

Sue doesn't respond because she is lost in her own headspace, usually trying to figure out her daily photo prompt. Besides, we do talk on rare occasions, and the message is meant mostly for Sha.

On most days, Sha will eventually share her own Wordle score, sometimes with comment and sometimes not.

13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Our grandkids don’t have phones yet. Yet is the operative word!

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to have a game to check in with the relations. I've stopped any tests of brain in the mornings...but do my solitaire later on, filling gaps when waiting for things during the day, then last thing of the day to let my brain fizzle down.

Ed said...

I have a book of expert Sudoku puzzles and the one in our daily paper that varies from Level 1 on Monday to Level 5 by Saturday. I generally only do the newspaper one and one from the book before calling it a day. I find if I do more than that, I tend to make stupid mistakes. I have to do notations. On rare occasions, I get to a point where I can't seem to find a way forward besides making a 50/50 guess somewhere. Sometimes I get lucky and sometimes it doesn't work out.

For some reason, I gave up on Wordle. I'm not sure, but I think when people stopped posting their results, it lost its charm.

DJan said...

I do Wordle every day, unless I forget. I share results with a friend, but sudoku is not easy for me at all, so I don't play it. Maybe I should.

Celia said...

Most of my friends do wordle, I do not. Never did the crosswords or other puzzles. No idea why. But I congratulate you, especially your morning activities. Good for you, Mine is starting the coffee. Then drinking it.

Anvilcloud said...

@DJan. I figure you either have a sudoku mind or a crossword mind. I don’t do crosswords very well.

William Kendall said...

I've never gotten into wordle.

Margaret said...

I do Worldle, Statele, Statle, Wordle and Jumble Crossword Daily. I share my results with John and my daughters just like you do and they reciprocate. I love having my little morning routine!

Joanne Noragon said...

I do coffee and dressed and news.

Red said...

Neat idea to leave a regular morning message.

Kay said...

I've tried Sudoku a handful of times and gave up. My brain just can't do it. WORDLE takes me a while too and it's a battle with our kids in Illinois and Sri Lanka. Right now, our son beats us hands down.

MARY G said...

I do Sudoku with notations. Not good enough to do without. And if you want a Wordle buddy, three lines today (Saturday) but six yesterday. I think it is partly luck as to whether your start word gives a decent clue. I am stubbornly attached to my start word.

I need my coffee, cigarette (yep, stupid addict) and about half an hour to be ready to join the world and be issued my Sudoku.

Jeanie said...

I love this. Rick loves Sudoku. I do less than he does but I love word things so I start my day with the NYT's Spelling Bee and then on to Wordle. If I don't get it done in the morning, Rick will co-opt it to do together with me and on the phone with his friends Nino and Marie in Detroit who are blind but somehow remember what letters have already been used on that keyboard better than I do when it's in front of me!