Monday, January 31, 2022

Tidbits from a Boring Life

A theme that I picked up from someone whom I follow. Grab it if you wish.

Time I woke up: I got up with the cat all over me at 5:20 after 6 hours sleep. Once I awake, or am awoken, after 6 hours, there is very little chance of going back to sleep. This was the cat's second visit, but I managed to get back to sleep after her 4:20 pestering. I keep going pretty well during the day if I can get 6 hours plus a 10 minute afternoon nap. If I get only 5 hours for a few days, particularly if I also miss my little naps, I can get very tired and a bit grouchy.

First thing I did upon waking: The very first thing was to start the coffee. I then washed my face and hands, also doing a hot compress for my eyes. After that, I put on my socks and sweater. I may have done that before washing. I sometimes do and can't remember the exact order this morning. Those three things are almost done concurrently, so I am including them all.

I feel compelled to also mention the very next thing, which was to sit at the computer and hand-feed her highness. This ritual is why she gets me up in the first place. Yes, we do this. She then goes off for a nap and leaves me up all bleary-eyed.

Today's weather: Although it is not quite as cold as some days, it is still cold at -22C/-8F. I was feeling the cold more than usual, so instead of taking off my thin nighttime hoodie and putting on my thick daytime hoodie, I put the thick one over the thin one. I even took a selfie (or three) for other reasons, not even knowing that I was going to use it for this post.

Can you see how impressed I am with the temperature?

Last thing I read (not on the Internet)The Heron's Cry, Ann Cleeve (audible version). I quite enjoyed it and look forward to it being adapted into a series, as was The Long Call.

Last thing I read (on the Internet): Reports and analyses of the hockey game last night and various tweets about the truckers' protest (Canada) and the Australian Open. (My fave, Nadal won after being down 0-2. Too bad I couldn't watch it.)

Last text I received: Sue was asking me about subscribing to a new streaming platform.

Last text I sent: I replied to the above, wondering where the heck I could stream Unforgotten, series 4, which is a big favourite series of ours. It Later turned out that Unforgotten isn't on that stream. So where is it?

Last website I visited: Aside from Blogger, I did look up a french toast recipe from allrecipes.com. I don't feel like making it this morning, though. Cereal, it will be.

Last show I watched: We are watching Vincent on Prime. The best recent series was The Missing, series 2, on Prime. Tonight we will watch Vera, series 11, episode 6 (sadly the final episode for now).

Last thing I said: I agreed that we should look into that streaming service.

Last thing I ate: I had some potato chips last night while watching the hockey game. I shouldn't have because they resulted in some nighttime sweats. This can happen, and I know it, but I sometimes take a chance anyway because it doesn't always happen. I've been up for more than 4 hours, so I should go down for cereal soon. I am not exactly hankering for it, though.

What I was doing an hour ago: Sitting in my chair under a toasty, electric blanket  and catching up on social media, including my Flickr posts and also those of friends. That was all on my iPad while I was also procrastinating about taking the cat downstairs for her breakfast, which I did soon after.

Current whereabouts of the other members of the household: Sue is doing her thing on her computer that is set up in a little corner of the bedroom. She may be in the midst of posting a photo to her 365 group. 

One thing I crossed off my to-do list today: It's a little early to accomplish much, but I did take a last look at today's blog post, about the convoy, before posting it. I am writing this one on Sunday for tomorrow, Monday. I am usually a day ahead and often several. I almost always write in the morning. Writing a blog post is an accomplishment after all.

16 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Oh my that is a grumpy man photo. I believe it's going to warm up a bit this week, enough so that there's raindrops showing on the weather forecast page.

Maybe try overnight French Toast recipe so all you have to do in the morning is pop it into the oven :)

I cannot wait for the library to get Vera's latest series

Jeanie said...

I love a post like this! I blog because I'm interested in the people behind the blogs -- not so much a blog where every post is on the same topic -- decor or crafty or even books, which I love. There are a few exceptions, but what I love is seeing people (probably even more these days than before I locked myself in!). Loved The Long Call and waiting for The Heron's Cry to come in paper. I can relate to the cat. The things we do for love!

I really want you to find The Unforgotten because it will break your heart. These folks know how to write.

Boud said...

I doubt if my memory would hold up for this approach. Last thing I ate? Saw? Read? Don't ask me! Name of the friend I sat next to in kindergarten? Ah, more like it. Marnie Quinn, why?

Marie Smith said...

The Unforgotten, Series 4 is excellent but so sad. It is interesting how we fill our lives in such similar ways.

NGS said...

When will the cold ever go away? I'm grumpy, too, because we made it into the single digits, but it's still so cold that I think my fingers are going to fall off.

Anyway. I love how grumpy you look about it all.

gigi-hawaii said...

Well, now I know so much about you! Haha.

Jean Winnipeg said...

I really enjoyed The Herons Cry.
I also enjoy Elly Griffiths series set mainly in Norfolk, where her lead character is an archaeologist.

Mara said...

I usually wake up from the sounds of the school children arriving, as I live right next to a primary school. This morning there was an added extra: some sort of digger going back and forth. By then the cat knew I was up and added her two cents worth of trying to get me out of bed and to the kitchen.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the photo. I snuggle under a blanket first thing, too. We've worked our way through 60% of our Dec. 24th propane delivery. Sigh.

I like reflecting on my day. That way, I remember more of the good stuff, while not letting the bad stuff haunt my brain cells.

Margaret said...

I wish I could watch Vera and Shetland but they're not on any streaming service I have. Or cable which I already pay way too much for. That is a grumpy photo! My morning routine is embarrassingly mundane. Coffee, Wordle, Wordscapes, Jumble Crossword, Alexa Question of the Day and reading blogs. Petting the cat.

DJan said...

I enjoy knowing what your mornings are like. Too bad you are feeling like that photo. Maybe it will be a good rest of the day, and I too love to hear how you start your mornings. :-)

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Oh, AC ... I've known you for many years and know that the picture (selfie) is NOT YOU !! Of course it's you .. but it's not the REAL you. That's the guy with all those wonderful photos, great family and good looking to boot. Please don't down-grade yourself again AC ... none of us are delightful upon awakening.

William Kendall said...

Your selfie fits how I feel right now. I am very, very angry. And sliding into depression because of what's happening.

The Furry Gnome said...

Now I know a little more about you!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I also have coffee in morning. No sugar or cream for this girl.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Rita said...

I really enjoy these kinds of posts. Such fun to read! :)