Tuesday, February 01, 2022

How the Protest Went and How it is Going

You may be curious about what happened on the dreaded convoy demonstration weekend.

Let me say that it wasn't as bad as I feared, but it was bad enough. As you know, I feared that there would be violence, but there was little of that although there was aggression to those passersby who were unsupportive and to others. I do wonder whether it was too cold to get the blood boiling. As I sit down to compose this on Monday, for Tuesday's post, many protesters have, apparently, remained in town. Police have asked for people to stay home today.

I don't want to belabor my reporting, so here we go with bullet points. I am trying to be careful to stick to the facts.

  • Although I called it a pickup convoy, from my early glimpses very many transports did show up. I think a lot of the big ones came from nearby places, like Toronto. They could make a shorter trip for just the weekend.
  • They jammed downtown causing gridlock and blared their horns incessantly, making life difficult for local residents.
  • They hindered the passage of emergency vehicles. One person died in transit. The driver claimed that he was deliberately hindered from getting through the congestion. The trip was prolonged for sure.
  • Vaccination clinics had to be closed.
  • Some felt free to urinate and, reportedly, sometimes worse, outside. The city provided 15 portable toilets. Fifteen potties for a mob that size aren't much, but this was not a community sponsored event. Unfortunately, the organizers did not think to make any accommodation by bringing or arranging their own. 
  • As part of the lockdown. Ontario restaurants were still closed for indoor dining, but we have been able go in, masked, to purchase refreshments to take away. There were reports of unmasked protestors forcing their way into establishments and demanding both sustenance and bathroom usage.
  • A soup kitchen, The Inn of the Good Shepherd, was entered by a group who demanded to be fed. They were accommodated.
  • The downtown mall decided to remain closed on Monday. I understand that other eateries are continuing to do the same.
  • Some locals reported still being harassed on Monday and were told to remove their masks. I don't know if they did or how threatening the encounters were. 
  • There are/were many Confederate flags on display.
  • Many, many swastika flags were sighted.
  • The Canadian flag was often, if not always, displayed upside down.
  • At least one upside-down Canadian flag had a swastika added to it.
  • F*ck Trudeau flags were very popular.
  • There were signs that only some people would understand to be racist: dogwhistles. They were saying trueblood or pureblood. (I can't remember which.) If you didn't know what they meant, they might be seen to be innocuous, but the insiders know and understand. 
  • There was a video clip of a group mockingly imitating a native dance with drums. It was accompanied by hooting and laughter by the onlookers. 
  • Terry Fox is a much loved Canadian icon. His statue was festooned with protestor regalia. This was sure not to garner goodwill.
  • The National War Memorial was dishonoured and crowded with protestors at times.
  • The Tomb of The Unknown Soldier which is part of the memorial was trod upon and, reportedly, much worse. I will leave it to your imagination.
  • The Aboriginal War Memorial was also dishonoured.
  • Both memorials needed to be cleansed on Sunday, and to their credit, the organizers were reported to put their own guard around the National War Memorial. I don't know about the aboriginal one.
  • As of Monday evening, many were still in Ottawa with horns blaring and people being harassed.
  • Three emergency vehicles reported rocks being thrown at them. I don’t know what type of vehicles they were. 
All of this over a prick in the arm. 

19 comments:

Debby said...

I wish that everyone celebrating this event could read your report. This is sickening. It feels as if the worst of America is growing and spreading its disease to other places. Sadly, what will happen is that people who aren't there will continue celebrating it, calling the people that were there liars.

Marie Smith said...

It didn’t stay peaceful too long when the extremists showed themselves. So sad! I saw the mayor of Ottawa speaking about the situation. The city doesn’t want a confrontation with these protesters which would only add fuel to the situation. It will be interesting to see how this progresses. Their rights not to get a jab preclude the rights of the people in that area working and living peacefully there. Freedom…

Marty said...

In Canada, yet! What most Americans consider a bastion of decency. The world is becoming uglier and uglier.

William Kendall said...

We are under siege by the misguided at best and white supremacists at worst.

The police need to step up, do their job, and remove them. This is no demonstration.

Boud said...

Whatever happened to the quiet, polite Canadians? These protesting folks never made it into the official national story before. But they must have been there all along. Maybe this is part of their rage.

Ed said...

All this made a five second blurb on our evening news so I knew something was up.

I assume the confederate flag reference was to the American version? I wouldn't have guessed that it would be used across our borders but I can be naïve about things like that.

If the virus would only mutate into a form that was lethal to the unvaccinated, things would look a lot different up there as well as around here.

DJan said...

I am horrified that the ugliness has crossed into our usually peaceful Canadian cities. Confederate flags and Nazi stuff is reprehensible. I am saddened by it all. :-(

MARY G said...

My daughter lives in Sandy Hill and walks to work at U Ottawa. I have not heard from her, and hope that she and her partner were not messed with by these cretins.
They are not all disgusting people. One of my neigbours sent his logging trucks in and the report from his daughter, who went with them, was positive. But ... the noise, the disgusting lack of toilet facilities (what were they thinking?!) and the hassling are deal breakers for me.
And, yeah. I wonder how many of them have all their childhood shots. I bet they do.

Shammickite said...

I have been avoiding listening to the radio and have not watched the TV News.... I can't change the situation, and I'm so glad I have had all my vaccinations.

The Furry Gnome said...

Scary!

Joanne Noragon said...

Not a pretty post.

Red said...

There are some very ignorant people in the s group. I hope authorities make plans on how to handle groups like this. I hope the police can go back and arrest some of these creeps.

Margaret said...

This is sad, disgusting and frightening. I can't imagine why people would act like this; I've seen it here but was hoping that it would die down and not spread its evil tentacles into other places. Confederate and Nazi flags? I am sickened.

Debby said...

Interestingly enough, on facebook an acquaintance was cheering on the truckers and had gathered a group of like minded souls who were all decrying the 'fake news' that didn't mention the protest in the depth they felt it deserved.

I posted a link to your post and said, "Here's another view." After the fact, I thought that perhaps I should not have done so. But single minded simpletons that they are, it doesn't appear that they were much interested in reading the facts of the situation. Their minds were already made up.

Jeanie said...

What a bunch of pigs. This just makes me so angry -- and mostly it makes me sad. (It doesn't sound that far off from some of the awful stuff we've seen here in the States, unfortunately.)

I'm sad because in my mind, I have an almost idyllic picture of my friends to the north of us. Every experience we have had in Canada has been so civilized, polite, friendly, courteous. I think of Canadians as smart, fair, better than this. Better than us. It's a bit like bursting a bubble and realizing that Canada has its dark parts, like we do. Probably like every place does. But still, it makes me sad. I hope this protest brings them nothing. A waste of their time and money. I just feel bad for all those in their path.

Vicki Lane said...

It is baffling how some people behave. And disgusting.

Patio Postcards said...

Well said. There are so many things to unpack in what is happening in Ottawa. I am absolutely disgusted with ALL of our politicians in not dealing with this "hostage" situation. We should also be afraid that these rebel rousers from the US of A are here, funding & leading.

Rita said...

Sadly, crazy is also contagious. :(

Blondi Blathers said...

First I was disgusted, and then I was angry. What a bunch of assholes and the idiots who believe the crap they spout. -Kate