Tuesday, January 18, 2022

A Right Walloping

When we our first big snow of the winter finally arrived, it was a really big snow. A doozie, as a matter of fact. A right walloping.

With a prediction of a 4 bag of chips & 15 hot cocoa storm, I had hoped that Shauna would not try to drive to work, but I knew she would.

We are in the pink: 4 chip bags and 15 cocoas.

Shauna, is the executive director of a retirement home and doesn't feel that she can expect her workers to go in if she doesn't. But she lives a half hour away — a rural highway half hour away, if you please.

So, she did try: shovelled her driveway, got onto the highway which is only a block away, drove a mile, turned around because she couldn't see the road.

It was so bad that they actually closed that highway about an hour later. You know that it was a serious storm because they don't close highways for a mild or even moderate storms around here. Or even normal heavy ones.

I had been disappointed when I got up at 6 because the snow didn't seem too thick then because I couldn't see any snow on the trees. Mind you, I also could see that the major road behind us was snow covered and not plowed.

An hour or so later, our window views were getting obscured by the heavy fall although the view had lifted just a little by the time I took these photos from the front and back windows.



Then I zoomed in on the cars out front.


A little later, neighbour was blowing the driveway. That is quite a blow!


The neighbour on the left, above and not the guy blowing. contacted us early on and told us that he would shovel the walk. We would have done it, but he  likes to help, and we like him to help. We call him our Snow Angel.

I opened the garage long enough to catch him in the act just before he finished.


Our contractors didn't get around with the tractor until late. There was little point starting their rounds until the street plows had made their first pass. After they were done, we went out to shovel the walkway again as well as the looser snow that the plow (actually big blower) hadn't picked up on the driveway. As you can tell by the blue tinge, evening was encroaching.

Sue gets rid of a shovel full.
Most of the snow had not been there previously.
Mind you, a lot it was thrown by the blower.
It didn't all fall in place yesterday. lol

The sidewalk is something closer to the actual accumulation, and you can see that it drift got deeper to the let of the shovel.


This may have been the biggest walloping since we've been here. At least, I don't think there has been a bigger, single storm. The chips and hot cocoa were good, though.








24 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

These are awesome photos. The top one is especially beautiful, almost like a painting. The lower ones, well . . . pretty daunting. I'm glad Shauna turned around and returned, as she might have been stranded for quite awhile. Meanwhile, how lucky that you have such a helpful neighbor. Shoveling snow is no picnic. Glad you and Sue could enjoy cocoa and chips after such a day.

Patio Postcards said...

Storm chips are making it to the US talk shows, yeah NS. We were in the 3 Bags of Chips & 10 Hot Cocoa region but thankfully we did not loose power at any time (a rarity for our village). Glad Shauna decided to turn around & get safely home. In Toronto they closed both the Gardiner & DVP which is also quite rare. My Mr Man is the Snow Angel for neighbours on either side of us - he will use the snow blower to blow out the end of their driveways after the snowplow has been around. He leaves the young teen boys in either house to do the rest of their own driveways (lol).

MARY G said...

JG's nice new red snowblower got its inaugural workout. Our road was opened out late morning. Impressive, given the amount they had to shift. As of Tuesday morning we are still shovelling. What is fascinating is our deck where the boards have cracks - the snow is sculped into beautiful swirls. Not sure I can record it, but I will try when the light is better. Some of my daughter's friends are calling it 'snowmagedon'. I think.

Marie Smith said...

Ahead of the storm last weekend was our grocery day. We avoided storm chips and the like, the first time in a while. We had regrets at the peak of the storm though. Glad you didn’t!

DJan said...

Love seeing all that snow and kudos to your kind neighbor for helping out. I wondered if that was Sue and then you told me yes indeed. I never heard of rating a storm in terms of chips and cocoa, but it makes perfect sense. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh I love the thought of chips and cocoa. I've got the makings for chips, my last purchase before Izzy struck was a bag of potatoes. But I'd rather have a bag of chips!! And I can always make cocoa. Glad to hear Shauna went back home. Smart cookie. Your cleared places will be used gladly I'm sure, if you need to get somewhere. I have nothing plowed...but it's due to start melting. So I'll try a drive-about before it all freezes again. Tomorrow will be ice everywhere till noon probably!

Boud said...

This is the snow equivalent of three dog night. I'm glad Shauna turned back before she got stuck. That was a big stirm, yes.

Boud said...

Storm, too

Ed said...

I can only remember one such snow here and that was probably 15 years ago now. We only got 8 inches or so but further north got 14 inches. Both our interstates were closed down for the first time I can ever remember. Usually they just tell you not to try them but this time they posted cars blocking entrances to prevent I assume the same thing that happened out east a week earlier.

NGS said...

Snow is so beautiful when you don't have to travel! It looks gorgeous, but I'm sure the practicalities are not so much fun. I hope you are able to stay safe and warm!

Margaret said...

Glad that Shauna is safe at home. Will the highway be open tomorrow? My biggest dislike of snow is that loved ones will have to drive in it. My younger daughter isn't the best driver to start with. Being retired, I simply have an extra cup or two of coffee! That is a TON of snow; we've gotten a foot a few times, usually in February. Thankfully, it usually goes away in a day or two.

Rita said...

Yes, you really did get dumped on--wow! Glad Shauna turned around and got home safe. You have a wonderful neighbor! :)

Marcia said...

Never heard of the chips and cocoa forecast. Cute. You got more than we did. Just posted some photos. Daughter in Buffalo got even more. We have a contract service to plow our driveway. They can do it in 10 minutes and it's wonderful that Dan doesn't have to shovel.

Jenn Jilks said...

That was quite the storm. It's wonderful you have good neighbours! I'm done, and feet up.

Christina said...

That's some snow! I feel an exclamation mark is in order here. I am glad Shauna turned back, too big a risk of being stuck on the highway in freezing temperatures. I am sure here staff will understand.

Paula C said...

That is a crazy storm. So far this season hasn't been too bad. Hope it stays that way.

William Kendall said...

I stayed in yesterday but did go get the papers. I got back around eight thirty in the morning, and at that point it was bad.

Vicki Lane said...

Now that's a serious snow!

Celia said...

That is a whopper indeed. Glad your friend Shauna got back home safely. Great photos though, good for you.

The Furry Gnome said...

As your map shows, we were on the outer edge of this and only got a little.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, the biggest single dump since 1977!

Kay said...

Good gosh! That is a TON of snow! I guess I won't complain that I'm feeling too warm here in Hawaii. I do remember hating to drive in snow and not knowing where there might be black ice.

Karen said...

You folks sure did take a licken! I'm surprised we only got about 25 cm. The plow roared by twice for the duration. We bundled up and walked the dog about 3pm. It was still pretty deep, but it felt good to be out.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You sure got the snow we have been missing with recent storms going around Southern NH and Nashua. I had never heard of having chips with cocoa, but was thinking of cookies instead.