Friday, January 21, 2022

The Icy Tree

On Sunday before the big snow on the next day, we took a little drive. Sue wanted to look for some photo ops, and after more frigid days, it seemed like a good idea to take the car on a little spin, especially since we knew that it wouldn't be drivable in the storm that was about to ensue.

Sue wanted to get some pictures of the faces on this installation in Almonte. 



I didn't even look at them but took these photos and a few of the four Canada Geese sitting on ice by the edge of a bit of open water on the river. I fired off a few pics but deleted them when I got home as there was nothing noteworthy about them.

Before leaving the parking lot, Sue wanted to take a picture of the church through the frame of the trees. I tried this once before a long time ago and knew that it would be a messy photo, but I took a shot anyway rather than just standing there with my bare face hanging out. Not that a bearded face is ever truly bare.


On the way home, while driving through the little hamlet of Appleton, I glimpsed, in passing, an icy tree on the other side of the river. It resulted from the spray of water falling over a small dam. I felt compelled to stop for a photo, which I later converted to b&w.


That's ↑ the zoom, but I like this ↓ photo better because I like the old building in the background. I can't remember for sure whether the building was a power station or a mill, but I think it was the former.


It was a nice day (the calm before the storm as it were), and there were blues in the sky, so I may also process these photos in colour. Even if I do that, I have a feeling that I will always prefer this mono version. 

19 comments:

Boud said...

What's the art installation about? Is it a community work? I'm interested to know more.

Marie Smith said...

Getting out like that breaks the winter blahs! Love the b&w.

Barbara Rogers said...

I wonder what the art installation is, being winter and outdoors and all. Loved how you captured the icy branches...and yes B&W is a good choice. It's light outside here, but totally B&W through my windows!

Patio Postcards said...

I would also like to know more about the art "faces" art installation. I like your ice photos.

DJan said...

I too wonder about those faces. Are they people who died or what? And I like the last photo the best. :-)

Bindu said...

That ice tree in B&W is so very nice!

gigi-hawaii said...

I love that photo of the church. It has clarity.

MARY G said...

I will be interested to see the colour shots, although these, especially the last one, are excellent. Nice blue sky and sun today. I bet you are not out with your camera though. Brr. I am staying home and reading my copy of the iPhone photography book.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've not heard of this installation.
That was quite the storm. You did well getting the car and yourselves out.

Margaret said...

I was intrigued by those faces. I love the black and white shots of the snow. As I've said before, very atmospheric.

J said...

Great pictures, I especially like the one with the building in the background, of the tree with the ice.

Vicki Lane said...

I, too, really like the mysterious building in the background.

William Kendall said...

That church photo appeals to me.

PipeTobacco said...

The art instillation seems interesting and I would like to know more. I thought your photos of it were interesting. Your other images were very nice as well! I wish I would muster up enough energy to begin trying to photograph again. And it is true…. A bearded gas is NEVER truly bare! My wife has take. To calling me a furball since I let my beard and mustache grow out much fuller than I had worn it before.

The Furry Gnome said...

I also prefer the final photo.

PipeTobacco said...

Gas = face…. Sorry (autocorrect)

Celia said...

More about the installation please. The photos of the iced up tree were great, both of them. What a good eye you have. Thank you.

Rita said...

I'm not sure about the hanging faces. They are a little creepy.
I actually like the zoomed picture of the tree the best. :)
Have a great weekend.

Jeanie said...

Wow -- I love those icy trees. Looks like something out of Narnia or some slightly eerie Snow Queen sort of thing. Yes, the building gives it scale but the close up is very intriguing! I had to google those towns -- you are in Eastern Ontario, aren't you? I've never been that far, apart from on a train back from Quebec City to London and maybe not through that territory. It looks really lovely. I don't think the church photo was as "messy" as you thought it might be. It's a handsome building.