Sunday, January 23, 2022

The Nth Degree

Even though I can't post this until Sunday (because I have a Caturday post scheduled) I simply must write this on Friday while it's on my mind.

You see, my mouth dropped open when I saw the temperature that Alexa was showing this morning: -32, if you please. I won't bother converting because Fahrenheit or Celsius doesn't much matter when it gets this cold as the two scales are not very different from each other. Minus 40 is where they become absolutely identical.

I swear that I don't always do this, even in winter, but I continue to sleep in my hoodie these days. Generally, when I arise in the morning, I remove it in favour of my thick sweater, which also has a hood. This morning, I kept both layers on.

We've been in a deep freeze for weeks, but this seems like a step beyond today. Fortunately, there is nothing in the 14-day forecast that is quite this cold although some nights will come close. Unfortunately, there is still much cold weather looming as temperatures will not rise above freezing for at least the next two weeks.

Meanwhile, Sue continues to follow her daily photo prompts, so we did brave the cold yesterday in search of things blue, and if possible, also praiseworthy.

Out we went. These are the pictures that she took although I have done some cropping in some cases to get them to fit neatly.

With all of these choices, she posted the hospital sign, which was her first photo of our little excursion.

Meanwhile, we stopped for a coffee. The drivethru lineup was long and slow. I should have taken a  picture.

So, we took our Nth car selfie while imbibing our Nth cup of coffee in this Nth lockdown of of this interminable pandemic that seems to have gone on for N number of days.

I did get out of the car long enough to take this ↓ photo. Hurrying in the cold with bare hands, I am very pleased that it turned out quite well. There was a snowbank between me and the scene, which I was careful to keep out of the frame.

The ice shelf continues to grow and form some interesting shapes, but with the cold and snow, I won't be photographing those shapes as well as they deserve.





10 comments:

DJan said...

Great shots. I always like the selfies, too. :-)

Rita said...

Been such a cold winter so far. You guys are brave or nuts to be out in it--LOL! I like the photos. :)

Barbara Rogers said...

Well I had to go looking for your post again, due to blogger not putting it on my listing. Glad to find that you had actually put up a couple of photos, as well as a couple of descriptions of your environment! Yikes! I'm cold here when we have a couple of days below freezing. And I'm glad to get outside today when it will be much warmer (and I shant tell you how much as I want you to continue being my blog-friend.) After my raw veggie lunch I shall take care of some outside chores (that are really domestic, but I have to drive to the laundromat to do one of them).

William Kendall said...

The deep cold does seem to persist.

Margaret said...

Brrr! Sue and you got some great shots and the hot coffee would be very welcome.

The Furry Gnome said...

I don't think the lighting in your nth selfie is quite as good as some of your past selfies!

peppylady (Dora) said...

This evening it slightly below freezing here in North Idaho.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jeanie said...

At least you still have smiles on your faces and are getting out but wow -- that's ridiculous. We've not been that cold. I suspect you are farther north than we are here in mid-Michigan. (We're about the same as London, Ontario. When I head that way, I just leave the house, turn left and go straight east for three hours!) Well, I'd be wearing that hoodie too! Take care and keep cozy!

MARY G said...

All Sue needed for blue was you, out of the car. I bet your fingers would have made a fine addition. Provided they did not fall off. Me, I am inside reading my book on iPhone photography, recommended by a certain person. It's good.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done getting out and about! That river looks really cold.