Monday, January 10, 2022

Watching with a Star

One sees odd postings on social media. Some are funny but usually unintentionally so.

Usually I shake my head and move one, but then I saw the following post: "Last night I watched Unforgotten with Nicola Walker."

Not able to help myself, I asked: "Did she come to yours, or did you go to hers?"

I sometimes reply in indignation to contentious things on social media, but after getting it out of my system by typing out my thoughts, I usually delete before posting because getting the outrage brigade all riled up isn't worth it. However, this was just a fun thing, and I did add in parentheses that I was sorry but that I just couldn't help myself.

For those who don't know, Nicola Walker is the star of Unforgotten.

Also for those who don't know, Unforgotten is an excellent, cold case detective show on Britbox. There are three seasons or series, each with 6 episodes. It is possibly my favourite current series. After saying current, I do hope for more seasons since we've been stuck on three for awhile.

. . .  Now that I have checked, I see that there is another season. It was on PBS, and they can be prickly about their series being shown elsewhere. I live in hope that it will make its way to Britbox. Otherwise, I will have to go on a search, but it is difficult to get PBS shows in Canada. We can get PBS on regular tv, but so far we haven't been able to subsequently stream their series. Although Americans can stream PBS through Prime, this is denied to Canadians for some reason. Eh?

16 comments:

MARY G said...

eh. And, yes, that grammar error bugs me too. I have almost given up on trying to make the world speak English. Almost.

DJan said...

I haven't watched that series, but it does sound good. I'll check it out. :-)

Marie Smith said...

I saw the fourth series on PBS. It’s great!

Barbara Rogers said...

When I get finished with all the movies I've checked on Netflix...and maybe starting painting watercolors again...well, I do like British who-done-it's. I haven't even tried watching PBS shows that I've missed. I like the "Call the Midwife" and have missed several this last season.

Ed said...

This is a case of tit for tat. I can't watch Britbox either without paying for a subscription.

K and D in the RV said...

I have Prime. I can get PBS through adding Masterpiece as a channel.

gigi-hawaii said...

I don't watch much TV but David is addicted to it. Yesterday, he watched 5 football games!!! One game ends and another one begins.

Anvilcloud said...

@K and D in the RV: Hmm ... I don't think I could when I last checked. I will look into it again sometime. You can do this on both sides of the border? I can understand when you're down south.

Margaret said...

I have PBS and would like to watch this! I'm always afraid there will be some snafu or extra charge though. Then I get frustrated!

Red said...

I'm sure I make similar errors. You're welcome to pick them out and make fun of them.

Marcia said...

I know you've mentioned this show before and I intended to look for it on PBS but was unsuccessful. Must try again. Always on the look out for good evening viewing. Mostly we record old old movies to watch. Some we make all the way through but others are just so bad we have to turn them off. Tonight we'll watch Midsomer Murders.

William Kendall said...

I am familiar with her previous work.

Rita said...

Excellent series! :)

Jean Winnipeg said...

Unforgotten is one of my all time favourites.
I've actually got the last series stored so I can watch it again.

I get frustrated when I see things advertised in the UK that we can't get here. Or else we get one series but not the subsequent ones/

I just bought a subscription to Disney Plus solely becasue I want to watch the Beatles documentary Get Back--my son recommended it saying watching it felt like hanging out with Paul!

We are also enjoying some wonderful productions on the National Geographic channel on Disney Plus.

Jeanie said...

There is a fourth series and it is a heartbreaker at the end. No more spoilers. And there will be a fifth, too -- it is in production (or at least was before the Covid resurge -- who knows now.)

As one who worked for a PBS affiliate, I can fill you in on the streaming in Canada difficulty. It is because of broadcast rights. PBS and/or WGBH/Boston, which produces Masterpiece, must negotiate for the broadcast rights for series done anywhere. Usually rights are seven years (although that may have changed since I got out of the business) and vary in price by reach. So most streaming rights are for U.S. only. I am not sure if one was a Canadian member of a PBS station and had PBS Passport (a member benefit to those pledging to their PBS station at a certain level) would be able to access it in that way. I'm sorry about that. I can tell you it isn't on Acorn. I suspect Britbox may pick it up in due course.

Kay said...

We loved Unforgotten too. I need to schedule that for recording. Thank you for reminding me.