Friday, January 14, 2022

Into and Out of the Cold

You may recall that Sue was blessed with an iPhone13 for Christmas, and you may also recall that it was just in the nick of time as her iPhone6 gave up the ghost just a few days earlier.

She was also gifted with Scott Kelby's, The iPhone Photography Book, and I am pleased to say that she is gingerly picking her way through it and learning as she goes. In my opinion, Kelby is the best teacher-author for photography, Photoshop, Lightroom, and now phone photography. In the distant past, when Photoshop was a new thing to me, it was his book, after I had tried several others, that helped me a lot. But that is me getting off topic again.

Sue found a 365 photo theme/challenge on fb. They give her a daily prompt, and, along with many other enthusiasts, she posts her results to the private group.

Her Monday prompt was to post a photo using a macro in a landscape that connoted power. Those are my words; I don't don't how the prompt was precisely phrased.

This ↓ was Sue's post. She held my phone and directed me how to take the photo with her phone. Can you see how it fulfilled the requirements of the theme?


The landscape part is obvious, and her hands and phone are close, so that is the macro part. The phone is also powerful: her iPhone13 particularly.

I might add that the cold was also powerful on that day. It took us about 10 minutes to get what she wanted, and with the mercury very deep in the minus, our fingers were just about dropping off. We were both pretty adamant that whatever the prompt, we wouldn't take it outside on the next day, which was to be even more frigid if that were possible.

That Tuesday prompt had to do with landscapes and sunbursts. Fortunately, Sue had, just a few evenings prior, photographed a sunset from our bedroom in which you can see rays emanating from the sun. They aren't vivid, but they're there.


I'm glad that she has found a challenge to go with her new phone. There is a 365 challenge on Flickr to which I was invited to participate this year, but I declined. That particular challenge would necessitate taking a photo on every single day and not using a photo like Sue's, above, that she had taken two days previously. I just don't want to be forced to take a daily photo. I like to do my own thing in my own time.

Since I can't think of many photos to take right now, I can look back at old photos and edit or reedit them. I have recently reimagined two of JJ from 2015 that I have converted to b&w in a very fine art sort of style. I enjoyed both the challenge and the result.



After a relatively mild winter up until last week, we are really in a deep freeze, and the long range forecast isn't giving me much hope. Maybe I will be able to find some more photos to reprocess within the relative warmth of our modest domicile.

22 comments:

Boud said...

I'm glad sue's enjoying the challenge. It's fun to have something to look forward to when weather keeps you home.

I've always liked b and w. In movies, too. There's plenty of color in the grayscale.

Barbara Rogers said...

Not trying to be an artist like you, I do have a similar shot of my son standing on rocks in a river in FL. They were about the same age, and loved hopping around on the rocks when the water was low. No fear at that time of alligators, which were definitely somewhere nearby. I bet JJ didn't have a worry in the world either!

MARY G said...

That first shot of Sue's hands with the phone is a real winner - as are the others in their own way. I too got an iPhone for Christmas and am now after the book you mention. Working on panorama shots in the meantime.
I know what you mean about the challenges. The best one I was in gave us a prompt per week, giving lots of time to think and pick a warmish time to shoot outside.
Gusty and dern cold this morning. But nice light.

Marie Smith said...

We’re staying in here, too. Another storm on its way as well. That photography challenge sounds interesting.

DJan said...

I like that first one of JJ, the lines are very provocative. And Sue's first one, too, is fun. :-)

Ed said...

My wife recently checked out a book from the library on maximizing her picture taking with her iPhone (11 I think). Just from our discussions, I have learned several things I didn't know I could do with mine.

Jeanie said...

Well, kudos to both of you. That sunset is a stunner and I love the reimagined photos. They're very dramatic. My camera phone isn't all that great. It'll do in a pinch but not my fave. Maybe an iPhone next time!

Jenn Jilks said...

Wow. I'm going to write down the name of that book, but I'll lose it for sure. That's the way things are going.
I thought of young photographer Josephine, who has a laptop, iPad and phone of some sort. It's fun seeing them grow up, nostalgic to look back.

Karen said...

Until I get a new camera, my photo challenges are done.
It is -23 here as I type. Don't think I'll be going outdoors today.

Marcia said...

Outside in minus temps with no gloves is painful. Glad it wasn't longer than 10 minutes.

Tabor said...

She is talented just like you! I struggle with black and white, but maybe should just look at some of my older photos and see what I can do.

Vicki Lane said...

She's doing great with the challenge! And I love that first picture of JJ on the whateveritis.

gigi-hawaii said...

That is a very nice photo of Sue's hands holding her phone. Very well done. I don't like frigid weather either.

Bindu said...

I like the first photo of JJ. Might be nice to have it printed on canvas!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You are right in saying that Scott Kelby's books are great as I also had one years ago, which is now sadly out of date due to ever changing technology. Sue's iPhone photo challenges were very creatively done. I'm with you on not one who would want to be forced into daily photos, but then it does work well for many others.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots. We are in the deep freeze.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice photography - for both of you.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's cold here, too, and no pictures to show it.

Kay said...

Yay for Sue. Gosh! She's got the 13! I'm still on the XR and Art is on the 12 which takes a LOT better photos in low light. The lighting on your black and whites are awesome.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I actual like challenges. But it usually has to be on my terms.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Rita said...

Every day challenges are difficult to keep up with. More power to her!
It's -11F here this morning. Brr!

Margaret said...

Those are incredible photos and what fun for Sue to learn about her new camera by joining the group. I don't like daily challenges though either--too much pressure. It's why I don't do those blogging challenges.