Sunday, January 09, 2022

Twas a Fine Frosty Friday

I am not sure if Friday qualified as Fine exactly, but it was Frosty, fer durn shore

Having a few errands to run, we opted to add a little stroll in the park by the river. It eventuated that the bright day was a little less hospitable than it looked. 

The thing about January, here in The Great White North, is that when it looks bright and inviting, it is invariably frigid. Indeed, Friday was most definitely frigid despite the beckoning brightness. If the -12ºC/10ºF air temperature isn't cold enough for you, how about a feels like temperature of -20ºC/-4ºF once the wind chill is factored in? While I have felt comfy exercising in snowshoes in the forest at colder temperatures, my tortoise-paced walking these days doesn't generate an abundance of heat.

While grasping my cane with one hand, my fingers were still pretty exposed even under gloves, and therefore, darn cold. While I have photo gloves which keep my hands covered while exposing only 2 digits on each hand when taking pictures, they are not as warm as normal, fleece-lined gloves.

I decided that the bench with the grasses in front and a tree beside was worth a shot. I was so focused on ... um ... what I was focusing on that I barely noticed the ice on the river.

I help but notice the ice more as we trudged along, and I liked the sweep of it in the next photo.


While the ice shelf will likely grow, the river never freezes in the centre because of the current.

So that is our brief walk in the park on a Fine Frosty Friday. I am glad that we got out for our little stroll but was quite relieved to get out of the coldness. 

Maybe I am just getting soft in my old age.

Naw . . . I always was a softie.

Addendum: As I sit and write this on Saturday to post on Sunday, I note that the temperature was -22ºC/-8ºF when I awoke ~7 o'clock this morning with a feels like of -28ºC/-18ºF. Anticipating that the cold would seep its way indoors because we do lower the thermostat at night, I went to bed last night with my hoodie on. An uncovered, bald pate can get pretty darn cold after all. It worked, and I slept quite well, which is not always something that I can claim to be the case.

16 comments:

Debby said...

I am not a fan of cold weather. I'll just sit here by the heater with my hot cup and admire your pictures. Sure beats opening the door.

Marie Smith said...

Maybe the hoodie needs to be regular attire for winter sleeping?

Walking in that kind of cold is invigorating for sure. It always takes time to warm up one’s core afterwards though.

Boud said...

Sleeping in a pixie hood used to be the norm in the North country where I grew up, for older women whose hair was a bit thinner than it useta be.
I'm more if my feet are warm I'm fine.

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad you braved the cold for these 2 beautiful shots of the river/stone/tree and snow! Yes indeed, keep your head warm at night! Good thinking!

Rita said...

The hoodie sounds like a great solution to better sleep!
Love the bench shot in the snow. :)

Tabor said...

i need photo gloves! I also need a winter coat that fits better. I am too large for my recent coat!!!

Jenn Jilks said...

JB often wears a hat to bed. And a hoodie!
I enjoyed your photos!

DJan said...

My hubby always sleeps in a little fleece cap at night, since he's bald, or almost so. I also like the bench picture. :-)

MARY G said...

Alliterative and lovely. The current formed a whirlpool up the river at our end and there was a perfect circle of ice going round and round. Someone posted a video on Facebook. I am going to try to repost it - it was beautiful. So is your second shot. Cold fingers though, yes. I used to carry a hot pad in my pocket. Or pick a warmer day. I know what you mean about the blue days being cold. yes, indeed.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I don't know if it's old age or just living in the south of the US for the past 30+ years ... but I actually have to grab for a sweater ... just reading your words (despite the lovely photo) chills me to the bone !

Margaret said...

I can't imagine temperatures that cold and feel guilty that I whined about 17 degrees.:) Those are impressive shots; I love the one of the bench!

Red said...

Most of our body heat is lost through our head. We always wore tuques at night when we were backpacking in the Rockies.

William Kendall said...

Even though my apartment is warm, there are nights I wear a toque in bed. It helps.

The river looks frigid.

The Furry Gnome said...

That is a tad chilly! You could try wearing a toque at night. I've done that while camping, even in the summer.

Joanne Noragon said...

Did I ever mention how young I was when I ventured out in sub zero weather to take pictures?

peppylady (Dora) said...

Quite cold. We here in North Idaho, end of the year had our cold snap. But it all well come back though.
Coffee is on and stay safe