Wednesday, January 19, 2022

My Mind Drifts Way Back

What is it about the bathroom that causes my mind to wander into tidbits that you would think I should have forgotten more than five decades ago? I never know what will pop into my head when I am brushing my teeth or showering or . . . 

Mind you, the way my mind works, which I admit to not actually working too well, this phenomenon can occur anywhere at any time: driving the car, grocery shopping, peeling potatoes, or watching a less than gripping tv program. I might very well even lose concentration and go off into space while writing a post.

. . . Now, where was I?

However, this time I was, indeed, in the bathroom when the lines and music of a song from 1959 popped into my head. as you will read below, it did well enough on the charts for a time, but I don't imagine that I've  heard it much since then. The fact that it faded from society quickly is probably not a bad thing.

I speak of the states song, Delaware, by Perry Como. 

"Delaware" is a popular song, written by Irving Gordon. The song was published in 1959 and has references to 15 states of the United States. The states were portrayed, in the form of puns, as: Della wear, new jersey, Calla 'phone ya, how ar' ya, Missus sip, mini-soda, Ora gone, I'll ask 'er, taxes, Wiscon sin, new brass key, Arkan saw, Tenne see, Flora die and misery . . .

The hit version of the song was recorded by Perry Como on December 28, 1959.  Wikipedia

Apparently, one is not permitted to post the lyrics although people do. I shall spare you the whole song, but you can read the entire lyrics here if you so desire. If not, you can hear them in the subsequent clip, below, which is not a long one. Meanwhile, I present you with a few of the puns.

Oh, where as ore gone, boy ...
She went to pay her taxes,

Oh, what did della wear boy ...
She wore a bran' new jersey

Oh, how did wiscon sin, boy,
She stole a new brass key,
Too bad that arkan saw, boy,

As poorly as they read, they do come off better in the actual song by Perry Como. It's not a very long clip, thank goodness.


So . . . I would have been 11 years old when the song came out. It stuck with me because, even then, I have an affinity for word play, even though, having lived a sheltered life, I didn't yet know what a pun was. Unlike Samuel Johnson, who claimed that puns are the lowest form of humour, I consider word play to be clever. But yeah . . . one can go overboard, and Delaware may be an example of that.

20 comments:

Marcia said...

Sounds vaguely familiar. Hope I don't get an ear worm from listening to the clip.

William Kendall said...

I have never heard of that song. It sounds like a groaner.

Barbara Rogers said...

I think it's fun, and don't remember it from my childhood, though Perry Como was an entertainer who we heard some.

Boud said...

Oh, that ear worm song, arghgh, save me!

Marie Smith said...

I hadn’t heard that song. Interesting! Thank you for an amusing start to the day, AC.

DJan said...

I remember it from long ago, and I will spare myself hearing it again to spare myself from getting an earworm. It is clever, though, I admit. :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

I like puns, too. You certainly don't have dementia!

Ed said...

I remember singing that song in my elementary music class.

KUBET said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful blogs.its very useful.It is a site where you can watch Korean dramas, movies, webtoons, and videos for free. Click our website to see https://mtpang.com/%eb%a7%81%ed%81%ac%ec%82%ac%ec%9d%b4%ed%8a%b8/

MARY G said...

Drat you, AC. I had, mercifully, forgotten this.
Yes, word play. Game of choice.

Margaret said...

A clever punny song. I've never heard of it before! But then I'm a "spring chicken" of 65. :)

Bindu said...

I never heard that song before. Thanks for sharing. Bathrooms have a special ability to make the mind wander, I guess.

Red said...

I don't recall that song at all and I liked Perry como.

The Furry Gnome said...

I would have been 11 then too, and I do have a vague recollection....

PipeTobacco said...

I remember that song from elementary school .

PipeTobacco

peppylady (Dora) said...

Never heard of that song. But last Monday I was in Antique store and they were playing some older country western songs my parents listen to. And one of the tune got stuck in my mind.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Celia said...

I like puns too but the song is brand new to me. In 1959 I was a senior in high school and my ears were full of The Drifters, The Platters and The Everly Brothers. I will have to share this with a friend of mine who is a true Pun Queen. She will love it.

Rita said...

Never heard this one.
My dad would have loved it with his delight in word play. :)

Jeanie said...

This is delightful. I hope I remember this when the Bigger Grand (he's nearly 5) gets old enough to get the jokes and understand the states! It's very clever and they must have had fun writing it! Never heard it before so thanks for sharing it!

Joanne Noragon said...

I remember this. On my little red transistor.