Thursday, January 13, 2022

A New Comment on a Very Old Post

I received an unexpected comment that pleased me. Strange but true: it was to a post that I wrote way way back in 2005: Endorsing Mimico Musings. In that post, I was recommending that people read Dale's blog. Is there anyone here who remembers Dale?

Dale was an railroad engineer and a gifted writer who would sometimes get personal about his life, family, and ex-family. When his blog was discovered by certain people, he decided that it was best to to cease and desist. 

So, Dale stopped the blog but never stopped writing. He turned to authoring a private blog to which I was invited. And then he went on to blog about his health issues after he developed COPD. Eventually, he stopped blogging and simply began posting updates on FB.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs. Symptoms include breathing difficulty, cough, mucus (sputum) production and wheezing. (Mayo Clinic)

Imagine my surprise at getting this ↓ comment 17 years later:

I'm the Dan in his journal. I'm Dale's son. Dale passed away in November of 2020 after a double lung transplant. Our relationship may have been fractured. But we managed to make peace before he passed. Not a day goes by where I don't miss him. I'm glad people were able to see his stories. His musings... I'm a grown man now. With children and a wife. I was lucky enough to have my dad at my wedding as well.

I was surprised and chuffed to read Dan's comment. Of course, I knew about Dale's death, for I had kept in contact with him until as close to the end as possible, and I am still FB friends with his wife.


19 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

What a wonderful connection you created & although I do not know the story or this family, I was glad to read that Dan & his Dad reconnected before all was too late.

Marie Smith said...

Blogging relationships continue for sure. It is four years now since one of my original blogging friends died suddenly and every now and then, I visit her blog and read a bit.

It is great that father and son reconnected before the end. And that Dan connected with you.

Boud said...

Blogging certainly creates real, enduring friendships.

Barbara Rogers said...

That is a good story about blogging friendship...and I see why you mentioned you'd a COPD story in commenting on my post the other day. Dan must have been a very nice person, and I'm sorry he didn't survive the transplant. I've met one person who had survived, when I was in a rehab program for pulmonary conditions. We did a lot of exercises together, and were glad to see many survivors of different issues come to the gym...kind of alumni of the program who kept coming back. It was the same gym where cardio people would exercise with their heart monitors strapped to them. I had also gone through that course. There were many pulmonary rehab folks who would walk the track with a walker. I guess I'm describing all this because I dare say Dan would have had similar experiences had he survived. It was good to hear that his son was able to make peace with him at the end.

DJan said...

Some of my blogging friends are as precious to me as "skin" friends. I have lost a few over the years, and it still feels like the loss of a family member.

Marcia said...

That is an amazing story. I assume you've responded or reached out to Dan to connect with him and thank him for taking the time to reach out to you.

Ed said...

It's always sad to lose a blogger from my reading roll but I'm happy that you at least knew the reason for the absence. Too many times blogs just go silent without word of why and I am left imagining the worst.

William Kendall said...

Every once in awhile a blogger dies and you feel the absence.

Unknown said...

So many rewards of blogging. So many lovely people.
Also, re: commenting on social media - when I get home I'll post about some research findings I read about
-Kate

Marcia said...

Unrelated to this post: I just watched Ryan, Canada Loves You Back.
https://twistedsifter.com/videos/ryan-reynolds-serenaded-by-entire-country-in-canada-loves-you-back/
Though I'm not from Canada I found it incredible moving but here's the thing: I have no idea who Ryan Reynolds is. As the only Canadian I know can you enlighten me? I guess I should google him too.

Margaret said...

This is a lovely although poignant story. I hope that when I'm gone, people will remember me from blogging and have fond memories of me.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sometimes, we never know why someone has stopped blogging, but it's good that you kept in contact with Dale and nicer too that his son, Dan, reached out to you. I was thankful for having kept in contact with blogger Mildred who had stopped blogging due to her health issues, and it was her niece who reached out and told me of her passing. Bloggers do become friends we may never meet, but that doesn't diminish the friendships at all and sometimes the bonds are even stronger.

Rita said...

That as so nice of him to contact you. We often have no idea what happened to people we have known online (even though you actually did know). Those are the simple things that touch your heart. :)

Kay said...

Isn't it amazing how blogging buddies can become very good friends who care about each other? It's wonderful that you now have a connection with his son.

MARY G said...

Nice that his son thought to message you. We are trying to get all JG's brother's connections notified and the clean-up done. Not fun.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's good for Dan to let you know.
Many bloggers just drop away and you wonder what has happened.

I'm wondering about Facebook these days. I found a new site: Next Door. The ads are many, but it's a different space the FB.

Jeanie said...

That was kind to be alerted to his death. I always feel sad when a blogger leaves the blogosphere and you don't know what might have happened. I'm glad you were able to keep connected after he stopped his regular blog. I feel much close to some of my bloggies than people I know in person. I'm grateful his son connected with you.

MARY G said...

I just bought the book - that is what I think of your recommendations and acumen.

Joanne Noragon said...

So many ties that bind.