Saturday, January 08, 2022

Caturday 32: Fabulous Farm Felid

I promised that my Saturday post would be a Caturday post of a great cat that I met at the riding stables. Now, I trust that I didn't overhype and that you are not expecting a huge, striped tiger or lion with a majestic mane. Nope, it's just a cat. But is any cat just a cat, I ask you.

When we pulled into a parking spot, right next to us was an impressive orange and white cat on the hood of the adjacent vehicle. I thought it was picture-worthy, but as you can see in the picture ↓ it had already moved from the hood to the roof by them time I exited our vehicle and fetched my camera from the back seat. You can see how curious it was about what the human was doing in the trunk.


I approached the strange cat cautiously because not all cats welcome human advances and have been known to show their ferocious, feline displeasure. However, it turned out to be a super friendly puddy tat, even if the human in the trunk ↑ was studiously taciturn.

I offered my hand and arm, which was immediately butted, licked and gently nipped as cats sometimes do when they are feeling very friendly. Our Lacey has been known to do this when she tries to rouse me from my repose in the middle of the night — headbutting. licking, and very gently biting with no resulting pain. It is the only time that she does this biting thing.

It was clear from its sturdy health, beautiful fur, and loving friendliness that although this was a farm cat, it was not a barn cat. Or perhaps this is just an assumption since I haven't really known any barn cats.

With the cat on the roof and with nothing but sky in the background, I decided to try for a quick photo. When you're working quickly, you never know, how well you will do, but I love how it turned out. It is slightly edited but not much: one retouch being to remove of the few of those branches that you see in the above photo that crept into the frame on the right (below)


As Bob and I walked around, poking our noses into two barns, le chat followed us around. Here it is in the barn in which I took the two horse photos that I showed you the other day.


What a fabulous farm felid in both looks and personality. 


13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

She is a beauty with a wonderful demeanour.

Boud said...

Sounds like my late great Duncan, who greeted guests and showed them around. The MC of the house. Great pix and narrative.

Tabor said...

I have taken photos of cats (not mine since I am allergic) in the past, but realize from your post, that I should attempt more!

DJan said...

Not to mention, well fed as well. Beautiful creature.

Barbara Rogers said...

How lovely this cat is, and must belong there. A great critter to capture several times...and the loss of branches was a good idea for his closeup.

Debby said...

I guess you met the one running the show.

MARY G said...

Great shots. The first one really tells the story. And the portrait is amazing.
My recall of my grandparents' barn cats is imperfect, but I do think they were well fed and groomed. What I do recall is that my grandfather could squirt milk directly into their open mouths as he was milking. (One particular cow, a Jersey with a very placid disposition). I am sure they got food in addition to the rodents they were there to control.
The colour in the portrait is striking. I am still thinking about it with pleasure.

Marcia said...

That cat has a lovely face!

Vicki Lane said...

A very handsome cat, worthy of your photographic skills!

William Kendall said...

Quite a sweet kitty cat.

The Furry Gnome said...

I get the impression you might have a somewhat positive disposition to the feline species!

Joanne Noragon said...

That cat indeed is worthy of the name.

Margaret said...

She is a gorgeous kitty! I love her coloring. In my experience most barn cats don't like people and aren't friendly. They're working cats, not really pets. But it depends on the farmer.