Sunday, November 21, 2021

Works Better for Me

I am experimenting with new hearing aids. They are the over-the-ear kind as opposed to in-the-ear aids. The over ear ones are pretty tiny now. My dad used to wear big honking ones, but in the past mine have been ones that go in the ear.

The thing is that these new ones don't get along very well with the masks that we still need to wear a lot. You come out from inside, begin to remove the mask, and the hearing aides flop and dangle. Someone in town recently found one lying on the ground. I don't know how you couldn't tell that you had just lost a hearing aid, but someone didn't notice the loss. I once found one too, but that was an in-ear model, and FB helped me to find the owner promptly.

The biggest problem I have encountered with the hearing aids getting along with a mask is at our Monday exercise class where we have to wear masks throughout. However, we can remove them briefly while we hydrate, but all too often they half came off. Hearing aids being jarred about was driving me crazy.

Then my ever observant wife, saw a fellow who had a strap that allowed him to fasten his mask around the back of his neck.

She found some on you-can-guess-where dot com, and they work a lot  better for me.



I am even more of a sui generis sorta bloke than ever.


13 comments:

Mara said...

At first I thought Sue had take her crochet needle out to make you a few of those bands.

I have seen ladies using pins and stuff to keep their masks in place when wearing head scarves.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good idea! Sometimes I see women with glasses on their ears, earrings dangling, a mask, and the hearing aids too!

Jenn Jilks said...

Great teamwork! Great find!

Boud said...

Masks have complicated things a bit. What with glasses and mask strings, there's not much room behind ny ear. Add a hat and it's about juggling. I don't think I could add a hearing aid, too!

Margaret said...

Those look very comfortable and they're pretty too! Glad that you figured out the issue since I think masks are around to stay for a while.

Karen said...

I wear masks with soft elastic bands that go behind my head.(Like the old time surgical masks) I don't wear hearing aids YET, but have a problem with eczema so those behind the ear things are a no go.

Vicki Lane said...

Good solution!

Mage said...

That's a great idea. I'd given up my hearing aids, but now I could go back to them again.

Kay said...

Hmmm... I think I shall look for something like that for my husband who also has hearing aids.

Red said...

I hear you on hearing aids and masks. It's terrible. I'm forever checking to see if they are still in my ears. I have Phonak.

William Kendall said...

I just use bandannas.

DJan said...

I use masks that go over the crown of my head and behind my neck, similar to yours. I just could not stand having my tiny ears constantly being pulled out of position. Plus I can wear the mask around my neck when I don't need it over my face. Cool look ya got going there, AC. :-)

MARY G said...

Yeah. My hearing aids are similar. I lost one in a parking lot last summer in a pouring rain and by the time I retrieved it, a car had run over it. Expensive.
I have a plastic strap that does what your cloth one does, but I find it drags the mask down a lot.
My fix is a cloth mask that has a loop for the head and then the straps can be pulled snug and tied behind the neck. fussy to do, but stays put and so do the hearing aids.