Friday, November 05, 2021

The Boneyard, Part 3

When I was roaming about The Boneyard, I would usually take a photo and move on because there was much to see. I have previously mentioned that I certainly didn't see it all in 90 minutes, more or less. However, I did make a few photos of this one car that someone has identified as a 1939 Dodge Six Touring Sedan.

I held the camera over my head for this photo. Using a wide angle lens like this really elongates the front end, but I don't mind this effect at all. I did take all of my equipment, but I left it in the car and just ported my wide angle lens. For once, I think I made the right decision.


Side view from normal height. I used my tripod for most photos, but not for this series, probably because I removed the tripod for my previous overhead photo. My cane is also on the ground by the tripod. I must have looked unusual carrying camera and tripod on my right shoulder and using the cane in my left hand. If I ever decided to print the photo, I would edit the photo and remove those items as they would only distract for those who didn't understand the context.


I also did a mono conversion of the above photo. I find that I like it very much. I, personally, prefer it to the colour. If I were to print this photo, I think that I would choose this b&w version. But of course, I could change my mind 6 or 7 times.


Finally, I toot a photo of the steering wheel through the window, which wasn't really a window, for there was no glass.


I haven't had great success with interior photos. I think this might have the only such photo that I attempted on that day. If I were to return to The Boneyard, I would be tempted to do more studies of single vehicles that I liked rather than photographing vehicle after vehicle. I could have done that had we stayed longer, but I was poopdicated and had to get back to the car. It is just as well as the driver, Bob, was already there waiting for me. He's a quick shooter, squeezes the trigger and moves on. And he does well this way.

16 comments:

Marcia said...

Those photos of that one car are neat. I see why you like the b&w it really tells the car's story.

Marie Smith said...

I love that second photo. It has an artistic quality to it.

Barbara Rogers said...

The B&W doesn't look as a rusted old car, just an old car! The story of the rust would be another way to focus on the changes that happen to these wrecks!

Bindu said...

I love that B&W photo. It invokes curiosity. Will be a good one to frame!

Ed said...

I must have been lived another life because I'm always attracted to those old cars with all the curves, swoops and lines. My life now full of cars that all look like each other from a distance just doesn't appeal to me.

gigi-hawaii said...

Imagine a car from the 1930s. Oh my! It belongs in the bone yard all right.

Mara said...

My favourite is the top one.
Ibthink I could spend a whole day there.

MARY G said...

Top photo tops for me too. Winner for a handheld, impressive man that you are. No cane for you, no tripod for the camera. I would leave them in the wide shot, just a statement.
I like the colour - grey shade loses something of the age of them, for me.

MARY G said...

Just read the other comments and am amused at the differences between those of us who like the colour and those who really like the greyscale. Two different and opposing but equally viable tastes - neat.

Margaret said...

I love the B&W and its ambiance.

William Kendall said...

Left to rust, they look older than they are.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like both the first two photos, but I do prefer colour.

Mage said...

I really like the black and white one too. Did we both visit boneyards today

Patio Postcards said...

That looks like a fun day out with quick draw Bob. I like the first two photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done. You've a keen eye.

Kay said...

And again, I would choose the black and white too.