Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Pizzas, Surveys and Junkyards (5)

What do pizzerias and auto junkyards have in common?

Nothing really, but when someone on our local FB site asked about the best pizzeria in town, all 6 pizza joints were named in the responses. To my amusement, it is the same when best Chinese are asked for, except there are only 4 of them.

That brings us to auto junkyards, although The Boneyard is not really a junkyard but a display that is well dispersed so all parts of it can be enjoyed and photographed. I don't think that I would go as far as to call it a museum, but I imagine you get what I am trying to say. Maybe collection fits.

When I recently posted both a colour and monochrome version of one old wreck a few days ago here (but a fine old wreck it was) some preferred colour and others the b&w.

Folks, there is no right answer . . . although I guess we all think that our own is the right one.

It isn't that I asked for opinions, but people have them and give them, and that is a good thing, for I like to read what others think. However, I learned long ago that it pretty much fruitless to ask opinions about certain things if one wants a consensus. I didn't need a consensus in the case of that post, for I like reading your opinions.

It was after my first year of teaching when I gave the kids a survey about the course as we had been prompted do to back in college of ed.

One student would like x best and y least while the next student might have the exact opposite opinion. Opinions were so all over the place that the survey was of no use to me, so I never did that again.

From then on, I figured that I was wise enough to evaluate courses without all sorts of contradictory opinions.

And that is what they are, opinions and not facts, except in the sense that everyone's opinion is factual to them. If I prefer Pizza Plus to Pizza Delight, that is a personal fact. What isn't a fact is that Pizza Plus is actually better – unless, perhaps, a general consensus emerges. Even then, if a minority were to prefer Pizza Delight, who could say that they would be wrong?

Now, although this post wasn't originally heading toward more photos from The Boneyard, I have decided to present two versions of another image, for unlike the students, your opinions are most definitely worthwhile. 😊

Here we have a photo of a 58 Chevy. The second is as the camera saw it (I wish it were first, but I can't be bothered to change the order), but the first photo is desaturated although I decided to leave some colour in the car by only partly desaturating it. I first tried a full b&w conversion (not shown here), but I wasn't feeling it as some are wont to say. However, when I returned just a little colour to the vehicle, I rather liked the effect.

I still don't know which version I prefer, but you might, so speak up with confidence. By the way, the right answer in this case is not neither. 😊



I await your insights with bated breath. 



14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Opinion, we see a lot of that shared on our blogs & other social media forms.

I think I like the 2nd photo of the two, but maybe after a tea & some breakfast I may change my own mind ... that's the thing about opinions, they often change when more information comes in :)

Christina said...

Your post reminded me that my course evaluations are due soon... these are delivered to our students by course admin and I have no say on the questions asked. I then have to respond to each and every comment, which is time consuming and also a bit mind numbing because of what you described, someone liked this but not that while the next student love that but hated this... someone else hated it all but is not quite sure what, some say it is too much work, others were bored... I have to include ways forward in my response. I might just have to go and hibernate now that I have remembered this tedious task.

P.S. I always enjoy your photography, colour or not. Your eye for detail is wonderful

William Kendall said...

I think the first, but both versions work.

Vicki Lane said...

Though I normally prefer color to B&W, the first works better, in my opinion. The car stands out better. The photo is fraught with mystery while the second is just a nice pic of an old car.

Mage said...

There is so little left that's recognizable. I like the bottom one as I feel the color makes the dying car "more."

gigi-hawaii said...

Actually, both are interesting to look at. I guess I will always prefer color.

Margaret said...

You are so right about opinions. Much of the restaurant ones depend on what was ordered, when the person went, and other random events. I avoid giving my own opinion unless I'm very specific: I enjoy the x pizza at y place because I love these ingredients. I laughed a little at your school survey, having experienced the same scenario. :) I think that wrecks lend themselves to black and white (or close to it) since it looks more old fashioned and stark. Just my 2 cents--that and $5 will buy me a Sbux mocha. LOL

Barbara Rogers said...

I looked all day for your post...and finally just clicked on yesterday's, and here you were. I have no idea why blogger thinks you've already posted, and just skips a day or so. I haven't got a clear opinion about the 2 car photos. And I also hated those post class surveys...even after workshops. Poor students. I should have offered them pizza if they could choose favorable listings.

Marcia said...

Not going to read what others said and be swayed. I like the first with more B&W. In the second the color pulls your eye away from the car which is what the picture is all about.

PipeTobacco said...

For me, for these images and for the prior two….. I like both the B&W versions and the color versions. Both look very nice. And, also for ME….. even though I TEND to really especially enjoy B&W images…… in both of the above mentioned cases….. there was something about the COLOR images that spoke more strongly to me. Perhaps it was the vivid colors of the patina & rust that just invigorated the images for me….not sure….. but perhaps those hues really helped me to FEEL the ages of the objects more…… both by the time specific paint colors, and the vivid umber and orange colors of the rust. I am not sure if that is why I found them more “vigorous” or not….. but I am thinking this may be why for me.

PipeTobacco

Jean Winnipeg said...

I like the second one of the two. The colour gives greater contrast and definition, it draws the eye in more.
Somehow it makes me think too about the car itself and its past glory days.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm not a big fan of B & W. Our seasons are so short!
You do have a keen eye, and you do manage to make them amazing. I like the 2nd one, though.

Kay said...

Looks like there are a lot of differing opinions. I guess I like the first one that is desaturated because it has more of the deathlike look of a car in a Boneyard.

Kay said...

I just showed the 2 cars to my husband and he votes for the first one too. :-)