Thursday, November 11, 2021

Shauna Remembers Her Grandfather

It is Remembrance Day, and I thought to write a little post about my deceased father-in-law, a WW2 soldier.



I had in mind, things to write about him and his service, but I decided to use what my daughter, Shauna, posted elsewhere. She also posted these photos; they are the only ones we have of him in uniform.

I’ve been thinking about my Grampa a lot lately. Maybe because I recently got to see the inside of a tank and even though I was told it was a lot “roomier” than the one that my Grampa drove through France and Italy, it was still MUCH too cramped for me to contemplate. How fortunate and grateful I am that Canadians like my grandfather went to war so I don’t have to.
 
Thank you to those who have, and do, serve.
 
Lest we forget.





18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Lest we forget!

Patio Postcards said...

What a lovely tribute from Shauna.

Vicki Lane said...

Indeed.

William Kendall said...

A fitting tribute.

DJan said...

Lest we forget, indeed. I'm wearing my poppy and remembering all who served, including my dad.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I love that this was written by Shauna, his granddaughter. It speaks well of your family, AC.

Bindu said...

Love that you posted what Shauna has to say!

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, we end up with 2 holidays, Memorial day in May, for those who have fallen. And today, Veterans day, which honors all who served and are still serving...based on the Nov 11 armistice day from WW I. You must tell Shauna that she writes very well about her granddad.

Margaret said...

Beautifully written! I can't imagine what those world war veterans endured.

Marcia said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm afraid too many in US have forgotten or misremembered.

Mage said...

Thank you.

Red said...

A nice tribute written by your daughter.

PipeTobacco said...

Very, very nice! I have been thinking a lot about my Dad today….. he too was in WW II…. He served in the 101st Airborne Division.

PipeTobacco

Tabor said...

Lest we forget...from your lips to God's ears.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A few months ago, we also saw the cramped interior of tanks and wondered the same as Shauna.

MARY G said...

That generation was amazing, both in its willingness to fight and in its strength afterward. My father was Navy, JG's father an artillery spotter in the Italian campaign. What they endured!
You look like him, I think.

Jenn Jilks said...

This was lovely!

Kay said...

That is a beautiful tribute from Shauna. What a handsome man her grandfather was.