Tuesday, November 09, 2021

Fall Back = Fall Apart

Fall Back was ridiculous for me, much more like Fall Apart.

Before going to bed on that fateful last night of daylight time, I had occasion to use the bathroom nightlight as a flashlight. It can be used that way temporarily, if required. I used it briefly, plugged it back in, and headed to bed. I swear it was working when I hied myself thither to hoped-for sweet repose.

I woke up at 4:30 to go to the bathroom and also to change my shirt. Sometimes, I have night sweats, and I soaked through pretty thoroughly on that night. Often these night sweats (not that I have them often, you understand) occur when I am naughty in the evening and have a snack. Chips will do this if I eat too many (not that I do that often, you further understand). I'll have you know that I didn't snack at all on that evening, but I experienced a darn good soaking regardless.

So, those are two awakening occurrences -- bathroom plus night sweats, the latter leading to rummage in the drwer for a dry shirt. There's a reasonable possibility that I would have handled both problems serenely and expeditiously and been able to return to slumberland, for I have done so before.

But lo, there was more. Much more.

Rememberest thou the nightlight? 

Well, I found it out of the socket and lying on the counter. How in tarnation could an electrical outlet eject a nightlight? What shocking event could lead to that, I wondered. I put it back into place, but the light did not come on. I tried plugging in other things that were at hand, like Sue's curling iron. No luck! To do all of this you understand, I had to put on the main bathroom light. I'll have you know, just in case you don't already know, that the blazing of lights is not exactly a sleep aid.

But there was more than just turning on the light. Oh yes indeedy. 

Thought I, the breaker must have tripped, so down two levels to the basement went I. We have a cat barrier down those basement steps, which I had to fumble with and then, of course, there was the need for more lights. Well, darn it all, nothing was amiss in the switchbox; all switches were untripped and in their places. There was nothing left to do but fiddle and faddle with the cat barrier and then trundle back upstairs.

Yeah, I was pretty well doomed to not regaining sleep by this point, but I wasn't done.

In some distress, I then proceeded to experiment more with the socket. It goes without saying that my fussing didn't work.

Upon returning to bed, I checked my watch. Ugh! It hadn't been 4:30 when I had awakened and when all of this foolishness' commenced, but it had actually been 3:30 due to the accursed time change,

It didn't take long for even a slow learner such as myself tp realize that I was doomed and that there would be no more sleep that night. So I got up. At three flaming thirty!

Hours later, when the lady of the house deigned to arise, I learned that she had pulled the nightlight out because it wasn't working when she had stumbled her way to the bathroom earlier than moi. So the electrical outlet had not miraculously ejected the light. If only I had known.

Sue also then recalled that the outlet in the upstairs bathroom is, somehow, connected with the one in the  downstairs bathroom. I kid you not! There is a little breaker on the socket in the downstairs bathroom. Down went she, to push that mini breaker back in place. Please don't @ me about the house wiring because I already know that this is stupid. 

Lo and behold! That outlet was back in working order. 

So dear folk, I don't want to hear any of your experiences on your time change morning. Just don't go there because I think mine was on another level.

Before I leave, I regretfully inform you that that nightlight is, somehow (and I don't know how) the problem, and its life, as we knew it, ended on that most bizarre of nights.



17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What a tale! Unbelievable! You certainly lead a charmed life...though in this case I think a bit bewitched and spell-bound. And I sure am surprised at each of your decisions, which no way would I have made at that hour...except to make sure cat barrier is up. Fix it in the morning is usually my motto.

Marie Smith said...

Lol. Quite the adventure and at such an ungodly hour! Maybe a nap later that day was in order?

William Kendall said...

And to think you could have avoided all that by turning on one hallway light. :)

DJan said...

You sure do tell a good story! I loved hearing about your adventure and how you managed to get up at 3:30am. I laughed at William's comment. :-)

Tabor said...

This is something that happens at our house. The outlet on the deck is somehow connected to another outlet inside the house somewhere! I cannot remember, but an electrician once showed it to me!!!

MARY G said...

Similar mini-switch in our bathroom.
I feel your pain. Still doing the 3:30 bit, two days later.
I will tell JG about the night sweat thing. He does it too. Chips? Hmm.

Marcia said...

My apologies for laughing at your tale of woe and failure to go back to sleep. Hopefully Sunday and Monday's night sleeps went better.

Ed said...

I haven't had a tale like that at night, but I have them quite often during the day.

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh dear. I hear you. We've both terrible insomnia. And other issues.
Back in the day I'd leave a light on if the kids were out for the evening. I could go to bed at my regular time, and when the kids came home they would turn it off and go to bed.
Sadly, JB is up 3 or 4 times a night, and he needed a nightlight. I got these sweet ones from Lee Valley, that come on, built into the cover plate. I have FINALLY been able to sleep with them on, despite never being able to do so in the past.
Sorry, long story... but I hear you!

Margaret said...

That would be very frustrating. (and tiring!) I hate dealing with stresses in the middle of the night. I don't know the name of it, but was it that pop out thingie on the outlet? I have occasional trouble finding the closest one; they are in weird places sometimes.

PipeTobacco said...

A frustrating, but humorously told tale! In regards to the night sweats….. I too have them occasionally, and I think your supposition is likely quite accurate. I too notice I get these night sweats when I snack. The logic behind it would relate to physiology….. when I snack before bed, it will rev up my gastrointestinal metabolism which typically is supposed to happen during sleep anyhow (it is the resting and digesting phase of the parasympathetic cycle hormonally)….. but with more than average food consumption….. it revs up a lot, and the blankets/quilts etc….. insulate and you become excessively warm in core body temperature…. Leading to sweating. Sometimes when I get this to happen, the sheets are literally so very wet that I could wring out moisture.

PipeTobacco

Mage said...

We have the identical problem with switches in both our baths.

Red said...

Your story sounds similar to me when the C0 detector goes. I run all over the house to find out what's beeping. Of course, it always happens t night. Good story!

Vicki Lane said...

Too funny!

Bindu said...

Oh my!!!
Lady of the house is to blame here. lol. Some nights and some things....

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! What a story. I'll have to read this to my husband. We can relate to the electrical part and lack of sleep AND daylight savings which I've already scheduled and written about for next Friday. I really don't like daylight savings.

Kay said...

OK, I just read this post to Art and he's chuckling too.