Friday, November 12, 2021

Blogrolls and Tamaracks

I have a relatively small blogroll, which keeps me busy enough. Yesterday, Thursday, I checked in and saw that I had 31 posts to go through and more came in while I was doing just that. I commented on most although most of my comments were and are terse, but that is kind of the way I am – succinct. You may not be able to tell that from my posts, but some would take much more space to write of the same things that I do.

The backlog tends to occur when I miss a day, which I did on Wednesday. Checking blogs in the morning is such a habit that when I miss, I tend not to think about them until the next day.

On Wednesday morning, I went to the nearby park shortly after sunrise. It was a clear morning, and I suspected that the few tamarack (aka larch) trees might be in full colour. Their colour mostly changes  after the broad-leafed deciduous trees are all but done. The tamaracks are needle-leafed, deciduous trees – the only conifers that I know of that turn colour and lose their leaves.

The photos turned out not badly although it can be a tight thing to avoid the houses around he park. You will see that I didn't avoid them in one photo (the third, below), but I liked the framing of the foreground tree so much that I took that photograph anyway. I did open the aperture so the houses wouldn't be too sharp, and I think it worked not too badly.

This first photo is my least favourite. I think there's just too many distractions on either side.


The next photo is of just one of those above trees, and I think it works much better. The colour came out differently for whatever reason, but I like that better too. I included just a bit of the reflection, and I chose to also utilize the barren branches of the huge background tree for effect. I did this photo first, and it is the one that I envisioned best. The others were extras in a sense.


I've already mentioned this next photo, but it was a casual shot. I saw the framing of the tree as I was getting back in the car, so I grabbed the camera again but didn't bother using the tripod. It was a quick snap before heading back home. I do still like it, though. Unfortunately, I can't see a way to take this photo by using the tree as a frame but also excluding the houses. 


I wonder if I will find any tamaracks elsewhere. If I were to find more, I would need both the weather and the colour to converge, and that convergence just might not happen at this time if year. We have a had a very nice November as far as Novembers go, but one can't expect such clement weather to continue. In point of fact, we had quite a weather-shift just yesterday when it became cold and windy.

16 comments:

Debby said...

That second picture: I looked at it, and the words that popped into my head were: 'As I am now, so will you be'. It's an epitaph on a tombstone. Standing there in the middle of the young bare tree, and the old bare tree, the tamarack seems to be pondering what lies ahead.

Note to self: more coffee, STAT.

Patio Postcards said...

I do like the first photo-good reflection aspects & I was thinking of it from a scrapbook perspective of how I could (cut) trim. I like the pop of background colour in the 2nd photo; some good contrasts of texture & colour.

Marie Smith said...

Love the first photo, AC. The reflection makes it a perfect November day!

MARY G said...

The tamaracks are already shedding out here, but we have a lot of them. They have been spectacular. I suspect this rain will bring them down.
I like photo 1, even if it is busy - reflections are lovely.

William Kendall said...

Tamaracks are enchanting. There are a couple of them in the Landscapes of Canada Gardens, but they were just getting started when I took my shots a few days back.

Bindu said...

Beautiful photos as usual. Love the first one more! If I have that photo, I will make a canvas print for my home.

Karen said...

Our tamarack have shed, other than the little ones. Anything under five feet seems to be holding on. Perhaps they are sheltered by the taller trees.

Margaret said...

I too am a fan of the first since reflections always give me the feels.

gigi-hawaii said...

I love the reflections on the water. That is always my favorite scene. A compelling picture for an oil painting! I notice that you have been blogging since 2004. Awesome that you have kept it up for so long. I began blogging in November 2006 so it has been 15 years for me.

Boud said...

I like very much the first picture. I'd have cropped it a bit left and overhead, just enough to move the balance a bit. Excuse my inability to refrain from making suggestions! I taught adult art workshops for many years and find myself, on seeing something good that only needs a touch to be excellent, unable to refrain from commenting. I can't help myself! A helpless prawn of fate..

Mage said...

They are lovely. Terse be me too. That top one could be cropped tight and you might like it more.

The Furry Gnome said...

Photo #2 does it for me. Nice photo. Tamaracks are golden here too.

Jenn Jilks said...

I tend to binge read. It is faster reading several posts by one person. It varies, when I read my blog roll. The kids are coming over for JB's birthday party. Sometimes I can multitask! I do forget, as well, and things do come up.

Vicki Lane said...

Si beautiful. And the reflections!

Kay said...

Gosh... I've never heard of tamarack trees or larch trees. Thank you for the education. I looked it up too. Gorgeous photos.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Water reflections are always wonderful especially with a colorful tree to take center stage. As for blogging, sometimes it is hard to keep up with posting or reading other blogs, so we all do the best we can. It’s not a worry because life does give us other plans like going out to photograph these lively images to share with all of us.