Monday, November 15, 2021

Once Upon a Time I was Conservative

I was informed by a little bird that I started a contretemps when I made a comment on someone's blog about conservatives. I don't know what I said, but I am not going back to find out, thus avoiding the possibility of becoming embroiled. I do imagine that I stereotyped conservatives on the basis of what I see from the worst of them. While one shouldn't really do that, for surely there are still moderate conservatives left in the world, the image that the worst of them project is close to deplorable..

Ironically, I voted conservative for a long time –  up until the mid-nineties, really. There was a major party in Canada called the Progressive Conservatives. I liked the concept of being progressive but in a controlled way. I wanted to advance but measuredly and rationally.

Then, just like their American counterparts, Canadian conservatives took a pretty abrupt shift to the right although not quite as drastically. Federally, the Progressive Conservative Party was taken over by a party that called themselves Reform. It wasn't about reform the way that it is meant to be thought of but more like reforming the progress that had already been made. Many Reformers want the death penalty, but not abortion or women's rights. They are not on the side of dying with dignity, or of banning gay conversion therapy and so on and so forth. They will be quick to aid the rich but slow to aid the poor. These are not my values.

The Reformers were smart enough to ditch their moniker and rename themselves the Conservative Party of Canada. This fools some voters, but it doesn't fool me. Provincially, the party has kept the old name, Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario, but they are progressive no longer. For example: when they took power in 2019, they stopped the scheduled minimum wage hike from $14 to $15 that would have gone into effect. To their credit, probably because we are nearing an election, they will raise it to $15 in 2022 – three years later. If we assume a 40 hour week for 50 weeks a year for 3 years, the cost to minimum wage earners was $6000 (40x50x3). That's a lot money for hard-working people living on the edge.

Federally, the Liberal Party is now in power, but the former Conservative (aka Reform) government had a sneaky plan to extend the age to qualify for what we commonly call the old age pension from 65 to 67. Trickily, they grandfathered it to start for those born after 1958 so it didn't seem so bad, but it would have been a massive hit of roughly $12000 to those retirees (assuming $500/mo x12mo x2 years) or $24000 for a couple. The Liberals were quick to rescind it when they regained control.

So yes, I may have gotten carried away in a comment, but modern conservatism annoys me. It can be harsh, uncaring, and socially regressive. Never mind that in the USA they have been taken over by whackjobs* that would love to see a perpetual Trump presidency (aka dictator) in charge: someone who they hope would promote Christian Nationalism** because that is what many want are are willing to become militaristic in order to achieve that blessed state of perpetual holy happiness.

* Having written whackjobs, I have a vague recollection of, perhaps, having used the word, whackadoodle on that other blog. Just perhaps, mind you.

** If you need proof of my Christian nation claim here is a direct quote from Michael Flynn: "If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion. One nation under God and one religion under God ..." Newsweek

*** This tweet contains a video clip of Flynn saying that. For some reason, it will take you an extra click to get there, but it is safe.

17 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

That's a lot think about on a Monday morning - thanks for putting it so clearly. IMO, in spite of having 4 parties to vote for in the last federal election, the choice was poor. Whackadoodle & whackjob are two terms often used now & I like the terms, just sad that we can use so often now to describe leaders of national parties, again IMO.

William Kendall said...

I consider myself a Red Tory, and as such will no doubt be voting Liberal for the rest of my life. The ignorance of the social conservative is appalling to me, and the vindictive hyper-partisanship of the party at both levels is dismaying. Provincially speaking, the fact that they allowed a proven incompetent nitwit like Doug Ford come in and take over was the last straw for me.

Marty said...

I’ve never seen such cruelty and blithe disregard for others by America’s conservatives as I have in the past few years.
I’m constantly appalled.

Marcia said...

I've always identified as a Democrat, result of my very liberal father and the values he instilled in. Just read that the redistricting here in the states controlled by too many Republican legislatures will result in enough safe red districts for the House to flip back to Republican majority. Where have we Democrats gone wrong that voters can't see the hypocrisy and idiocy of the Republicans?

Jenn Jilks said...

Well written. You sum it up nicely.

Some Conservatives are upset when you lump them together, but if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem!
I dared to disagree with Hootin' Anni once, and she's banned me from her blog. It is important to debate and discuss, I think. And we are all entitled to our opinions without clutching our pearls or getting our knickers into a knot!

DJan said...

I have always been a Democrat and liberal and am constantly amazed at how many people here in the US support authoritarianism. Sigh. I love your blog and am glad you are taking a stand.

gigi-hawaii said...

I tend to be conservative, preferring to be pro-life, not pro-choice. But, I believe in gay rights. For me, being conservative is not so bad. In my youth, I was a radical, participating in a sit-in, rallies, and demonstrations against the Vietnam War. These days, I believe in a strong military to counter China. How I have evolved! How I have evolved over the years from a flaming radical to a quiet conservative! How did that happen? LOL.

MARY G said...

I live in a strongly Conservative riding and for a while had a neighbour who posted a Trump sign at his gate. He moved and took his sign. I was brought up Liberal, became liberal as I matured and am now, according to the CBC site that allows you to graph such things, right in the middle. I feel sorry for O'Toole, who seems to be an unassuming and sensible man, trying to run the old Reformers and the even older and crankier PC's. 'The state', as is often misquoted, 'has no place in the religions of the nation.' Nor their bedrooms, but we did that, surely?
Yeah.

Ed said...

I hate being labeled politically because I don't identify with any political party. I guess if I had to come up with a label, it would be an a la carte independent.

Blondi Blathers said...

An excellent explanation of why decent people don't vote Conservative anymore. Thank you. I'll be linking to this from my own blog. -Kate

Marie Smith said...

My parents were conservatives but I’ve voted for a variety of parties over the years. Never for the reformed conservatives though. A step too far back in time for me.

Margaret said...

Well-written and I share your values and your distaste for what the conservatives have become. I don't subscribe to every liberal talking point but they are much more aligned with how I see the world.

Mage said...

The Christian Conservatives make me angry. Then again, I lean far left...an unpopular space these days.

Kay said...

Aha! I know who your little bird was. ;-D

But seriously, I smiled when I saw your comment on that post because you know I agree with your 100%
Oh fun! I just got your email. And actually, I do miss snow (when it's light and pretty).

And right now Republicans have really gone off the deep end with their Trump cult. It's scary. We had 13 Republicans who did the right thing (listening to their conscience) and voted for the NEEDED Infrastructure bill and now they're being harassed and punished by their party because they voted for something the country desperate needs. Those Trump Republicans forget that Trump promised to get an Infrastructure bill done too and couldn't do it even when they had control of the House and Senate.

Red said...

This is a great down to earth post. You cover history and policy in a brief concise way. I voted for John Diefenbaker. that's my venture to conservatives. The conservatives have moved much too fat to the left to be credible.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well written and clear. You won't upset me by denouncing the Conservatives, federal or provincial. Let alone American conservatives! I read American news regularly and I've gone beyond being appalled and now I'm simply scared!

Vicki Lane said...

Well put. Though I'm sorry to hear Canada has some of the same sort of Conservatives as the US. Where will we escape to if the Right down here takes over and sets up a Handmaid's Tale Autocracy?