Thursday, November 04, 2021

Blogs and Beards

I have a folder in my mail program called AC On. I created it up a long time ago as a place into which my blog mail would go. I had set it up, so that the mail would go in there directly. If I recall correctly, I would also get mailings of my posts, as a backup as well as the comments that people would make. But it has been awhile, so maybe I don't recall correctly, and perhaps it wasn't both of those things.

Whatever the case, one day, Google decided that it would no longer provide this service, so the folder became void. I didn't delete it, empty as it was, but left it in place for some reason. At that time, some bloggers wrote that they found a way to keep receiving these emails, but their method didn't work for me when I tried to follow their instructions..

Now, after the folder just sitting empty for the longest time, the weirdest thing has happened. That folder is receiving copies of the posts, not from my blog, you understand, but someone else's blog. The even weirder things is that this isn't a Blogger blog but a WordPress one. I follow several WordPress blogs, but this is the only one that does that. There are nine posts in the folder right now. Of course, I shall delete them, and of course, I shall get more copies of that one person's posts and only that one person's posts. 

Go figure! It is a head-scratching mystery to me.

=================================

On an non-related note, when I was experimenting with growing my beard longer earlier this year, I purchased several beard care products. One was an after-shampoo conditioner that I like and continue to use. I don't suppose that it does anything that a normal conditioned doesn't do, but it is made specially for beards and is pleasingly thick and creamy, and I like applying it. When I use regular conditioners, I realize how watered down they are, although they probably work just as well, or as poorly, as the case may be.

Even though I apply this conditioner regularly, my beard can sometimes still get quite dry and straw-like. From those longer-beard days, I still have a small bottle a beard oil to ameliorate the dryness, and it does work pretty well. However, I haven't been using it because I don't like the odour. The fragrance is sandalwood, and I don't like it very mcuh. Sue says that it is mild, hardly noticeable, and not unpleasant, but that is to others. I notice it because . . . well  . . .  because the beard is very close to my nose. I mean, that is how faces are constructed. Right: with noses close to chins?

After not using it for some time, I just applied it again recently, and I still don't love the aroma. Shall I try a different fragrance, or shall I just forget about it? It really does moisturize, but a dry beard is really not something to fret over too very much. Eh?

18 comments:

Mara said...

I receive all comments to my blog to my email, which you can set up in Blogger. I think.
On the second subject I cannot help you, having no beard, but you could try a different fragrance?

Jenn Jilks said...

I stopped getting comment to my email. IT just clogged my mailbox. I have to approve them all, anyway. Too much spam!

I find my gray hair is very dry. The same is true for hubby's beard. He quite liked the oil. The oil keeps a beard soft. That is good!

Marie Smith said...

Comments on my blog, which I was receiving in my email in-box, don’t all go there any more. Now, most only appear in the Blogger Comments section. Peculiar!

Barbara Rogers said...

Of course you should use the products that are comfortable for you...including living with the scent you like. I scratch my head (un-conditioned) at blogger. I used to love changing things on the blog, like the background colors, typesettings, etc. No longer, they are all screwed down tight. And I don't like being where I am. But the posts work, so it's another one of those things/

DJan said...

I have only gotten comments to my blogs in the comment section, so I'm unaware of whether I would be losing emails. It is easy for me not to worry about keeping my beard soft, since I don't have one. But scented stuff really drives me crazy, and I can just imagine what it would be like to have a scented beard! :-)

William Kendall said...

I use regular shampoo for my beard, which is the only reason now for me to use shampoo, and it takes a long time to get through a bottle, since I keep my beard trim.

Ed said...

I used to have comments sent to my email account but several years ago they started becoming sporadic, only certain ones would come through and more recently, it was rare for a single one to get through. I finally just gave up and went to full comment moderation and handle them now through blogger's comment tab section.

I should try beard oil and/or conditioner. I really have never done anything to it other than what it gets from my shampoo in the shower. But I keep it fairly short most of the time.

Karen said...

There are beard salons in Ottawa that might have some options for you,

Bindu said...

Chin is close to the nose. That can be a problem with the fragrance on the beard. Women are saved from having that issue!

Margaret said...

I have comments to my blog sent to my email. It generally works perfectly until it doesn't. I answer those emails privately since I doubt that most people return to a post to read what I've responded. As to the beard, I've dated several bearded guys including the current John. They weren't beard product guys but I know from others that there are many products out there these days and a multitude of fragrances. You just have to find one you (and Sue!) likes! :)

Red said...

Now I know why I had such a scraggly beard! I didn't get the right chemicals.

Debby said...

My daughter's fella is a giant with the big red beard of a Scotsman. He uses beard oil and has a special brush. But he shaves his head. I don't believe that I'll ever understand menfolk.

PipeTobacco said...

I have used only bar soap (usually Irish Spring) to wash my hair and beard (and body) for probably close to at least 40 years….. because bottles of shampoo and/or conditioner feel like too much “hassle” to me. My wife finds it “odd” but that is par for the course, I think….. she finds many of my habits a bit outside the norm. :)

PipeTobacco

Marcia said...

I have blog comments coming to my email in box but funny thing is many of them say they are from one commenter when in fact they're not. I think that's my email issue not Blogger. My problem with Google right now is that in Safari I don't stay signed in to Google so can't comment. Shifted to Chrome and it works fine.

Tabor said...

I fail to check the email folder that comes with my Blog. I just check the comments section and see what people say, and like most writers I love comments. I never knew a beard required so much work!

The Furry Gnome said...

Used to have a longer beard, but never got into special beard products!

Boud said...

I don't have a beard, but I do have curly hair which by definition is dry. I use a mixture I made of almond oil with rosewater and glycerin. I spray it from a spray bottle and it's very good for moisturizing. In fact I spray my whole self after showering, possibly tmi..

Kay said...

That is definitely a head scratcher about that blog file. I was trying to do a back-up of my blog, but really can't figure out how to do that either.