Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Consequences, Sudoku, and the Longest Season

Two things today, that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I thought you'd be interested in the first item , and I wanted to talk about the second thing.

First: once again, we see that decisions have consequences. If you don't want to contribute to the common welfare, then can stay home by yourself.


=============================

Moving on to a much lighter topic, pause to consider how in thundering tarnation a person playing Sudoku can make a mistake if said person has only one square left to fill and only one possible number to with which to fill it.

It takes talent. I am quite probably the only person on the planet to possess such a supreme ability.

All I had to do, in order to finish the game in question, was to tap that one open square that was still blank and then tap the only possible number that remained. Indeed there were no other options displayed for the number. I could not have picked a different one.

Simple really. So I did it – selected the square and then tapped the number.

But lo and behold, I messed it up. Yup! One square, one number, and I still goofed.

You see, I didn't tap the open square hard enough, so the previous square was still highlighted. Of course, I didn't notice that and tapped the number anyway. Said number, therefore, went into the wrong square and an error was recorded.

The game does allow me to take a move back and replay it. I did that and supposedly won the game, but the error still remained noted. Fuddle duddle! (to quote a famous Canadian politician of a bygone era)

That is also a problem with coding, though. Once someone has entered the correct number in a square, that should freeze the square and prevent any other number from being erroneously entered. I think the iPhone version is coded correctly, but not the iPad version that I play, and I am not going to play the the game on that tiny screen unless I am in a waiting room somewhere. 

=============================

In point of fact, I will be in a waiting room tomorrow morning when I take the car to the garage to have them change over to the winter tires. This appointment is just barely in the nick of time because we've had two snowfalls already this week. 

And so the longest season begins.

13 comments:

William Kendall said...

Admittedly I do not understand Sudoku.

Marcia said...

Hate to hear winter as described as the longest season. But you're right. Its already started and won't be done for many months that I used to consider months of spring.

Never got into playing sudoku. I have three solitaires of choice: regular solitaire, free cell, and a new one called Yukon. Once a day for each or in the case of Yukon until a win a game. All completed on the iPad.

DJan said...

I'm not much of a game player. I used to play solitaire on my iPad, but I got bored with it and now read books on my kindle instead. :-)

Vicki Lane said...

Bravo for Austria! As for Sudoku--I've never played it.

Blondi Blathers said...

Austria has the right idea. -Kate

Ed said...

Although I like the thought of what Austria is doing, I also realize it would be impossible to enforce since one can't really tell an unvaccinated person by how they look or walk. Really the only way to enforce such a thing is require proof of vaccination to do anything which places a burden on the store owners.

Why can't we just all use common sense and do the right thing instead of having politicized it?

Marie Smith said...

We haven’t changed our tires yet. Ugh! It snowed this morning.

Margaret said...

I wish we could do what Austria is doing. So many still remain unvaxxed and defiant. (like that idiotic football quarterback) I need to have my winter tires put on too. But first I have to wrestle them into the car. They're heavy with the rims on. I don't do sudoku but I do a daily wordscapes puzzle (which I sometimes flub on by letting go of the letters too early) and a jumble crossword. The crossword is timed which sometimes causes me to freeze. Then I remind myself that it doesn't mean anything and that I get nothing for it!

Mage said...

I do understand lockdowns tho.

Red said...

Okay. Don't beat yourself up. I enjoy sudoku.

PipeTobacco said...

Hmm…. Sudoku….. for some reason, I generally enjoy those types of games, but Sudoku never seemed fun to me for some reason. My wife loves to figure them out, but, not me for some reason. Perhaps it hits the same neurons I need to use in statistical analysis of my research data….. and that is just a chore to wade through to me….. the tiresome part of research which is otherwise fun.

Australia is wise to do this. I wish it could be done in the US, but I cannot imagine how it would be successfully enforced here. Do you think if such a stratified lockdown would work/be enforceable in Canada? I am not sure if it would work there either….. but likely at least a bit more successfully than in the US.

PipeTobacco

MARY G said...

We use paper and an eraser. The same for crosswords. Very 20th century, but man does that eraser come in handy from time to time.
Yeah, consequences. MY BIL has had one shot and cannot get the second on time for medical reasons. No restaurants, no nothing much, is open to him. And when he could have got the damn shot, he didn't.
Stubborn and Stupid both start with S.
I cannot imagine why people will not get vaccinated against this disease. It has really changed our world and I think the fallout would be less if people would just smarten up and get the damn shot.
Sorry about the profanity. I can be much worse on very little provocation.

Kay said...

I'm afraid I'm not into Sudoku either. In Hawaii, the public libraries require you to be vaccinated or tested recently before you can enter. You have to show your ID too. It caused a bit of a ruckus in some areas, but I feel safer.