Thursday, November 25, 2021

One Chickadee January

Despite not attracting any birds on our recent forays to the woodland, in the past we had a great experience – or more accurately, a series of memorable experiences over a few weeks in January 2005.

We went to the cottage in December 2004 and remained for much of January, with a break at Shauna's over Christmas. Sha lived within a few hours of the cottage while we lived 6 or more hours away.

Wanting to make it a little more festive in the wilderness, Sue festooned a tree with a Christmas garland of popcorn and cranberries. It was upon our return early in January that the bird magic happened.

That was when Sue decided to put apple slices and peanut butter on the branches of the same tree. Or maybe she started this before the break and simply resumed the practice. I can't remember for sure.

We weren't looking for or expecting the close encounters that ensued, and I don't remember exactly the first step. I do think that a nuthatch was the first one to land on Sue's hand. At least I believe that is what happened, and the sequencing of photos from back then seems to indicate that I am correct. 

Here s/he is. This one had an orange breast. Another variety is white. I have attached a photo of one of those at the end of this post.

Although the nuthatch broke the ice, the chickadees were very quick to follow, for it sure seems like the very same apple in Sue's hand. She is in the same place too.

Once they began to visit, they came in droves, or so it seemed. 

Shauna visited for a weekend and was overjoyed to be blessed with visits.


Heather also received the blessing.


Et moi.


It got to the point that if we left the cottage with the peanut butter jar, they would land on the jar almost immediately. I wish I had a picture of that. Not only that, but we would sometimes be followed on our walks around the extensive property of more than 100 acres.

One day I put some peanut butter apple slices on my head, shoulders and both hands. I was hoping for five birds for a photo. It didn't happen although I think there were once three, and there may have been other flittings. Once again, I don't recall for sure.

Here's what we did capture.


Even though the peanut butter was on apple slices, I distinctly remember getting pecked on my bare scalp, and it did smart a bit.

It was such a joyful experience. Too bad it seems all but certain that it is not going to happen here. However, we do cherish these memories, which I love revisiting. It has been quite a long time since I looked at these photos, and I feel warm pleasure all over again.

=============================

And here, we have the other kind of nuthatch from the same winter. I can't remember if it landed on our hands. I don't think it did, but it was a long time ago..



14 comments:

William Kendall said...

They are very good company.

Barbara Rogers said...

What great memories and captured in photos too!

PipeTobacco said...

Wonderful photographs!!!

Chickadees are my favorite bird! They are utterly cute and I like their happy “peep” songs. They always remind me of my Mom as well, as they were her favorite of the birds that would visit her feeders.

PipeTobacco

Margaret said...

Those are wonderful photos! I love birds; they are beautiful, inquisitive and some are very smart.

DJan said...

Aw, thank you for these delightful pictures. I laughed at the one on your head, but your smile doesn't make it look like you cared about the pecking. Thank you for this series! :-)

Patio Postcards said...

What a wonderful connection to have with nature. I am sure it will happen again, locally, for you & Sue. IMO this is what having a camera is all about :)

PipeTobacco said...

With those photos being from 2005 or so….. it is interesting that you kept mostly dark hair for a long time. My own salt-and pepper (more salt than you) arrived earlier for me.

PipeTobacco

The Furry Gnome said...

What a wonderful experience!

Red said...

It's quite a thrill to have these critters come to your hand er head!

Mage said...

You, sue, and the birds look wonderful.

Debby said...

I love this! What an experience this would have been! Makes me determined to try it!

Mara said...

You brought a smile to my face today. What lovely photos! And you have given me an idea about what feed the birds this winter.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh, John! This is just amazing. What an unforgettable experience.

MICHAEL JAY said...

I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/WhatsApp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.