Thursday, September 30, 2021

Reconciliation in Orange

Today marks two concurrent and noteworthy days in Canada – National Truth and Reconciliation Day as well as Orange Shirt Day. Both recognize the tragedy of the residential school system perpetrated on the indigenous people of Canada.

Although I don't remember hearing of Orange Shirt Day until recently, it has been observed for a number of years.

It was created as an observance in 2013, and is designed to educate people and promote awareness in Canada about the Indian residential school system and the impact it has had on Indigenous communities for over a century—an impact recognized as a cultural genocide, and an impact that continues today.[2] It is held annually on September 30 in Canadian communities, where people are encouraged to wear an orange shirt.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Shirt_Day)

It was the discovery of the 215 unmarked graves at a former residential school in Kamloops that I wrote about here in June that brought it so my attention. Sadly, there have been other discoveries since then. 

You may recall that I was gifted with an orange shirt obtained from an indigenous supplier on Father's Day, and we also hung it in the doorway on Canada Day in lieu of flying the Canadian flag.



The federal government has since declared September 30th to be National Truth and Reconciliation Day, and today 2021 is the first.
The day honours the lost children and Survivors of residential schools, their families and communities. Public commemoration of the tragic and painful history and ongoing impacts of residential schools is a vital component of the reconciliation process. (https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/campaigns/national-day-truth-reconciliation.html)
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission began its work in 2008 and made its recommendations in 2015. One of their recommendations was the creation of this day.
We call upon the federal government, in collaboration with Aboriginal peoples, to establish, as a statutory holiday, a National Day for Truth and Reconciliation to honour Survivors, their families, and communities, and ensure that public commemoration of the history and legacy of residential schools remains a vital component of the reconciliation process.

I shall wear orange today as we, once again, travel to meet with Heather for a distant park visit at the midpoint between us. I also created this graphic to honour the occasion – of the day, I mean, not of our meting. lol

In a fit of hubris, I both signed it and also added a logo that I have sometimes used on cards. If you click, they should be large enough to see them, although I am sure you can resist that dubious pleasure. Of course, I would gladly and easily remove my watermarks if I needed to use this image elsewhere.

=============================

I almost forgot to add the following background information to Orange Shirt Day. It is from Phyllis (Jack) Webstad's experience.

I went to the Mission for one school year in 1973/1974. I had just turned 6 years old. I lived with my grandmother on the Dog Creek reserve. We never had very much money, but somehow my granny managed to buy me a new outfit to go to the Mission school. I remember going to Robinson’s store and picking out a shiny orange shirt. It had string laced up in front, and was so bright and exciting – just like I felt to be going to school!

When I got to the Mission, they stripped me, and took away my clothes, including the orange shirt! I never wore it again.

You can read a little more of her story here.


16 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I like your specialized logo of the orange maple leaf - very creative. I wonder how many of those that get today off as a paid holiday will actually use the day to learn, honour or engage in reconciliation. For me, today I start the UBC's online course Reconciliation Through Indigenous Education as a first step.

DJan said...

I wish our government would do something like this. I won't hold my breath, though. Even the words "truth and reconciliation" are considered controversial. Thank you for this annual reminder, AC. :-)

William Kendall said...

It is a concept well worth pursuing.

Marcia said...

It's good of your country to honor the memory of those children. US could do more in that regard and for other national concerms.

MARY G said...

Nice logo. I do wish the government would do something substantive though. A Day is a fine thing, I guess, but not as meaningful as not having to boil their water.

Margaret said...

I agree with DJan that talk of truth or reconciliation can elicit arguments here in the U.S. Your orange shirt and graphic are wonderful!

Marie Smith said...

We haven’t been able to purchase orange shirts yet. We had a great conversation with our grandkids about the day however. They are learning a lot about the residential schools. There is hope!

Mage said...

Thank you. I too wish we would do something like this.

Barbara Rogers said...

Hi AC, I found a site which I shared on FaceBook, but like your orange maple leaf design very much. Thanks for posting it here!

Vicki Lane said...

Heartbreaking stories wherever indigenous people are treated as 'less then.' And it's so important that we hear them and face the truth and make amends.

Joanne Noragon said...

Thanks for displaying the shirt and telling its story.

The Furry Gnome said...

I need to get one of those orange shirts! I do like your orange maple leaf, watermarks or no waremarks.

PipeTobacco said...

Your logo is very impactful and the meaning of it is important!

PipeTobacco

Jenn Jilks said...

I've been trying to find an orange shirt, but haven't been able to.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I was unable to get a shirt this year. All the local indigenous suppliers sold out quickly and I left it too late. I have ordered in advance for when they restock. My wife had an orange blouse that she wore, but I had nothing orange at all unfortunately. I did add #HonourTheDay to my emails, however.

Kay said...

I agree with everybody else. We need to have something like that here in the US too. We also have too many tragic stories like that which were covered up for too long.