Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Another Blue Hour, Another Gas Station

My sleep patterns have become more irregular in the past few months, so I haven't been getting out as early or as often as I was in June. It's not that I am sleeping worse, and it may even be that I am sleeping better. It does mean, however, that I am sleeping differently. In addition to perhaps sleeping a bit longer, on some days at least, I have been tending to go to bed later. Consequently, I have also been getting up later.

Fortunately, sunrise has also been occurring later. Although I have been more interested in blue hour than sunrise recently, it also means the blue hour is happening later as well. So you have recently seen some photos of a car wash, a medical centre, a big pharmacy, and a gas station.

My most recent escapade took me to another gas station. I didn't quite get the same angles that I got at the first station here, but I like the results well enough regardless. You have to work with what is in front of you. My original idea of shooting from across the street (off left in the photo below) put too many wires in the frame for my taste.

Serendipitously, there was also a bit of sunrise.


I wanted to get more sky, so I turned the camera to take a vertical photo. That meant that I couldn't get the whole building in the frame, so I took a sequence of photos (4, I think it was), and had Lightroom merge them together. Of course, I see that it is better with less sky, as above, but one has to try things. Perhaps if the sky had interesting clouds, I would feel differently.


Finally, I zoomed in on the store in the background. There was sky in the original, but I decided to crop down to the roofline in edit. The black line at the top is the edge of the roof, but I think I should have cropped it away.


As usual, I converted each to mono. Of course, the blue sky is a major feature, but sometimes I like the impact of bw. I'll just post one, however, to save my dear readers some repetition.


One problem with going out later is that morning traffic will soon be heavier. I will miss the solitude of very early mornings.



16 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

This is really amazing. You've a keen eye.

We're having sleep issues, as well. I was up early at 5 today. sigh. I keep telling JB that sleep when you are tired, get up when you are awake!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The blue sky really adds impact in the first photos, so those are my preference for this photo outing. i have been meaning to get up and out during early morning, but then meaning to and doing so are quite different in reality.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm up early, because I have someplace to go. Other's depending upon me again. If I were on my own, even with the wonderful little bird singing outside my open windows, I might just stay in my warm cot. So to the photos...I prefer nature scenes, but since we're dealing with a gas station...I like the pink of the sunrise coming into the sky and the first one, and second are my favorites.

Patio Postcards said...

You'll be getting known for taking fabulous photos of the less than businesses & you'll get hired to do publicity photos - your 2nd career begins :)

William Kendall said...

Good ones!

There are times I'll get up early and head out.

gigi-hawaii said...

You are addicted to the camera. I like that. It keeps you out of trouble, eh?

Margaret said...

Is it the change of weather and of the lessening light that alters our sleep patterns? I tend to sleep in more as sunrise gets later, even with my black out blind down. That first photo is my favorite! Perfectly balanced and evocative. The world waking up.

DJan said...

I like the vertical one with the sun just coming up. Nice!

PipeTobacco said...

I like all the images…. but in this case, I think the color reveals more depth because of the hues of the sunrise. The contrast is lost in the B&W image. I do like the B&W image…… but it seems to tell a different story to me.

PipeTobacco

David M. Gascoigne, said...

As we get older sleep seems to be an issue one way or another. I go to bed fairly early - around 9:30 to 9:45 and then I read for about a half hour. When the lines on the page start to blur, I put down my book, turn off the light and get to sleep quickly. Often, however, I wake up about two hours later, lie awake for a while, or get up to pee, fall asleep again, wake up again...and so on. Getting an unbroken night's sleep is the issue for me.

Vicki Lane said...

Good for you--turning that sleepless time into art!

The Furry Gnome said...

I like all those images. Good photography.

Rita said...

I especially like the first one with the pink and blue sky where the focus is still on the gas station. But I like them all. :)

Marie Smith said...

The sky blue is gorgeous!

Red said...

You had fun with this challenge.

Kay said...

OK, I'm impressed. These are totally awesome photos.