Sunday, September 05, 2021

Birthday Dinner

The Birthday Event continued for one more day. Sha and the kids came for supper on Friday. I brought Mediterranean Chicken and salad home from the good ole SmokeBox, which Sha augmented with fries that she purchased from another food truck. The chicken was supposed to provide a meal for 4, but we were 5, and Sue and I also had enough for dinner the next night. Mind you, the additional fries helped.

After a cozy dinner around the kitchen table, we repaired to the living room for cake etc.

The cake is always marched in to a rendition of Happy Birthday.


Of course, in these times, we no longer festoon the cake with candles, but they put one on a single piece for me to extinguish with my hot breath. I did.so with gusto, despite the fact that the one-candle challenge is no longer daunting. But one has to play one's part.


With only one gift to open, much fun was put into the presentation and unwrapping. First I uncovered a ginger ale carton. Then, I pulled out several filler bags before finding a box to unwrap only to unveil yet another wrapped box inside the first.


The second wrapped box produced a plain cardboard box. Aha! We're getting to it. But no! There was yet another wrapped box inside. That cracked me up.


Eventually, an iWatch was revealed. It wasn't a total surprise, but neither did I have an expectation. I wouldn't have been surprised if it were something else.

As the last one in the family, including the kids, to get an iWatch, expert help was on hand to set it up, and JJ was glad to provide it. I was certainly glad of his help.


And here it is.


The first watch face that I have chosen is the GMT face. It can tell you both your local time and the time of another selected area. I have set it to Vancouver time where the child #2 resides, but that part wasn't set up at the time of this screen capture.


In the 4 corners, starting at top left and going clockwise, I have it set for sunrise. Next is the weather, followed by a calculator (bottom right) and a moon indicator (left).

We most certainly don't always bestow such pricey gifts, but sometimes there is enough of a need or want that it seems like the thing to do is for everyone to chip in.

By the way, although I am the last in the family to get an iWatch, and was also the last to get a smart phone, I reminded everyone that I had been the very first to get an iPod. That was back in 2005. Who knew back then that phones and tablets and watches were coming along in such rapid succession?

But my reminder of how I had once been at the forefront of technological adaptation was met with hoots of laughter.




18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

You always have fun birthdays. You deserve them, AC.

Vicki Lane said...

What a wonderful celebration! Re technology--I only recently got a smart phone and I don't actually know what an iwatch is. I do have a Kindle--my third or fourth. And I don't even know how to turn on the tv or dvd player--there are too many different power thingies involved. Oh well.

Barbara Rogers said...

Congrats on your new toy. I love talking to friends who say, wait, now I've just walked 1000 steps today, or now I've been told to stand up after an hour at the computer! Your loved ones are sweet to make the wrapping be a fun event for you...and great pics that someone took of your opening stages! Happy happy another year!

Debby said...

LOL. I love your family. I am impressed by the fact that you owned an I-pod first. I've never been on the cutting edge of technology. Moreover, I think that I've missed my opportunity to achieve this. I. Just. Am. Not. Interested.

Would a smart watch announce that you were leaving the house with a pot of boiling water on the stove, I wonder? In that case, I may have to get myself one

Karen said...

What fun! Best Wishes!
We always have to consult with a teenager to set or reset anything in the car or house. The clock in our car has stopped correcting itself with the seasonal time changes, grrr.

Mage said...

Happy birthday. Happy unwrapping day too. :)

Margaret said...

Being together and the unwrapping are the best parts of a birthday! Love the photos and it's obvious that you are enjoying yourself greatly. Is an iWatch like an Apple Watch? Are you two hours ahead of Vancouver? (or three?) My geography is quite suspect, even in the U.S. Hopeless for Canada.

DJan said...

Well, congratulations on getting an iWatch. I love mine, and I was one who thought it was silly, but now I can't imagine not having it. And happy birthday, too!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Happy birthday and many more. You are a long time blogger friend and you always have fun things to share.

William Kendall said...

It sounds like you had fun.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Congratulations on both the birthday celebration and time spent with family. And, getting a nice gift is also a plus, so now everyone can connect😀 even more! We don’t have Apple watches here, and still prefer the analog ones…maybe one day when the battery charge lasts longer we will reconsider😉 Enjoy your new rech gadget and you have plenty of folks to ask for advice.

Red said...

Stuff these days knows far more than we do.

The Furry Gnome said...

Hope you do enjoy your new watch! I figure us old guys need to keep our brains alive by learning to use these new things. I use my smart phone a lot, but no watch here. I note that looked like a pretty small slice of cake.

Rita said...

Nice! I'd never be able to figure one of those out myself but they sure do look cool! :)

Jenn Jilks said...

You are fun!
I love this post.
I haven't had a watch since my last one broke. Or when I retired in 2007!

MARY G said...

If it were not for the offspring, we would be stuck in the 20th century. Latest headache here is WhatsApp. Sigh.

Peruby said...

Ah, I thought you got some Canada Dry Ginger Ale (which is my favorite) and I would have been happy with that!

Kay said...

Happy Happy Birthday, John! And congratulations on the new Apple Watch. You are going to have such fun with it.