Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Defining Problematic Autumn

In my part of the world, and likely for most who stumble across this post, autumn is said to begin when the sun is directly over the Equator on its southward journey to the Tropic of Capricorn. This occurs on September 21 or close to it; it does vary slightly. (Of course, we refer to the sun as moving when, in fact, it is the earth.)

There are other notions of autumn, however. Aussies, for example, view autumn (actually their spring) as beginning on September 1st.

If we need to distinguish between the two versions, in Canada, what we call autumn (or more commonly, Fall) can be termed Astronomical Autumn. However, Meteoritical Autumn begins today, September 1st.

Again, here in the Great White North, it makes absolute sense to declare that September 01 begins autumn. It's when we go back to school and when temperatures begin to become more pleasant after the high heat of summer. 

Of course, temperature change doesn't occur automatically on the 1st, but it isn't usually long afterward. I often began teaching on a very hot day early in September, but that heat soon dissipated into the much more agreeable autumn temperatures, not at all like July and August.

The meteorological definition makes sense to this poor clod. We always say that kids go back to school in Fall. Then we make it confusing by saying that Fall begins on the 21st or thereabouts.

The meteorological calendar divides into 3 month segments. link


But that's confusing too, at least in this country, because November temperatures are definitely not autumn-like.  Especially by month's end, it can be pretty doggone wintry. In many years, continuous snow cover begins before the end of November and continues into March. It has lasted into April a few times. Indeed, I personally think of winter, not as being 3 months but close to 5.

Once upon a time, in English-speaking countries, autumn was thought to begin on Lammas Day (August 01), and end around Hallowe'en. I am not entirely sure, but this may still be the way it is seen in the Irish/Gaelic calendar. Considering August to be autumn, may have worked in the more moderated climate of Eire and Old Blighty, it wouldn't work for Canada where August is far too hot.

On top of all of this, I have my own definition based on sun observations in my own little den. I deem that autumn begins when I no longer have to pull the shade to keep the sun from glaring off my computer screen. We haven't quite reached that point, but it's getting close.

14 comments:

Marcia said...

I like the meteorological definitions. That works better in my mind.

DJan said...

Me too. I like thinking of seasons in reasonably even months of time. I think it's Fall already, the trees are beginning to change color.

Barbara Rogers said...

Any other day I would join the quibble...but today Ida gently passed through here, what's left of her is mainly lots of wetness. And today, Sept. 1, I turned the heat on...perhaps to get dried out a bit. I'm thankful that my shelter is intact and thinking of those who suffered just a few miles down the road when Fred flooded. I imagine this continued rain has not pleased those folks at all, not to mention those in LA and AL. Weather is fickle these days (all days?)

Ed said...

I have always followed the meteorological calendar. As for the occasional trespassing of winter into the fall and spring seasons, I rationalize that is similar to a slap on the face. It can be hard enough to get your attention but the pain quickly subsides and it is forgotten about.

William Kendall said...

Given that Canada has such long winters, it makes more sense to define seasons astronomically.

Margaret said...

I feel like autumn starts on September 1. We had a low of 45 this morning and the evenings feel fallish, although we're expecting warm weather this week too. It's always a mix with 30 degree differences between highs and lows.

gigi-hawaii said...

Very interesting post. I would not consider November autumn, either, as it seems more like winter. Of course, here in Hawaii, we do not have 4 seasons as you do, but there is a definite change in the weather in terms of heat and rain.

Marie Smith said...

September usually has pleasant summer days but early in the month. Late Sept is definitely autumn.

The Furry Gnome said...

It certainly feels like fall here today!

Red said...

And here I expected a definitive answer about fall! You let me down! Throw in another variable that there are many varying climates. Anyway , many times I started school on a miserable rainy day.

Vicki Lane said...

Interesting take on the various ways of defining autumn.

Jenn Jilks said...

It certainly feels like autumn at night! I'm ready for it.

MARY G said...

Where the sun hits works for me.

Kay said...

Sigh…. I don’t even notice the change of seasons in Hawaii.