Saturday, September 04, 2021

Well, I'll Bee, Joe

They say better late than never, but I am too often late and too seldom better.

When I go out to water both the potted and the volunteer petunias along with other plants in the evening, I notice many bees around our prodigious joe pye (Eutrochium ) plant. It really is a big plant, standing fence high and loaded with blooms. (If I think to take a picture, I'll post it at the end.)

The bees were all over the thing, flitting quickly from one petal to the next. I decided to take a picture, but they were flitting so fast that I couldn't track them and focus in time.

This was the best that I could do. Actually as I look again, it isn't that bad, but the bee is not tack sharp, which is what one wants.


As time passed, I must have gone out to do the watering a lit later, or maybe it was just darkening earlier, I noticed many bees being very quietly on the plant and not flitting furiously. Thinking that might have a chance to get a better photo, a few nights later, I set out with my macro lens and a flash.

Dang it all, I was thwarted again. They were now few in number and those few were flitting again. Sigh.

I did get a few photos that I don't like better than the one above. They are somewhat sharper, but the flash is harsh.


The joe pye, at least at this stage, is almost spent and is not attractive. I did attempt to blur it a bit in this this more cropped version of the same photo as above.


I have two other photos to share. They're not terrible, but they sure aren't noteworthy either.



Do bees like Mums? I don't know. I will have to keep an eye on the newly purchased pots.

Oh, I did remember to photograph the joe pye. It's a big-un, a perennial that grows from nothing to this size every year. This impresses me because it must begin anew from under the ground every year. I do find it remarkable, and the bees do like it, even if they won't stay still for a photo. But perhaps you can see why it might be difficult to get a prime photo under the circumstances.








13 comments:

DJan said...

I really like that first one, I think it's perfect. :-)

Vicki Lane said...

Excellent captures!

Barbara Rogers said...

Buzzz...at least you aren't worried that they'll sting you. Many folks are (worried.)

Margaret said...

Love the first one and they're all good as far as I'm concerned. Your standards are way higher than mine!

Marcia said...

I have always liked the Joe Pie Weed. I had several around the pond when we lived at the house we built in MD. I have seen them here in NH in wetlands but not in yards. Don't think I'll find a place to plant one here.

Mage said...

I like them all even those of the man in Cadmium Red light. Like the new shirt too.

William Kendall said...

They're as busy as you would expect.

Kay said...

I’m always impressed with the amazing captures you get. I like those photos you took at night. They are very dramatic.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well, I like the first photo, even if it's not perfectly sharp.

Marie Smith said...

The bees are impressive. It’s wasp time here again.

Red said...

You made a great effort to photograph bees and got some good photos.

Rita said...

I enjoy pictures of bees and seeing them from a distance, but I don't want to get close to them. Even more scared of wasps! These pics are good! You are braver than I. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

Good for you to get the macro out. I had one, but I'm not sure how well I could photograph with my eye balls!
I like the photos. It is a snapshot in time, and a record of our endeavours.