Monday, September 13, 2021

Focus Stacking the Hawthorne

Believe it or not, I have two more golden hour photos for youse or yiz guys. I have strayed from my morning blue hour photos once again. But I urge you not to fret as we will return to the blue hour theme in short order.

I have had this photo op in mind for sometime, and finally around got to it or A Round Tuit. The idea was to photograph the derelict Hawthorne Mill from the opposite riverbank. The other part of the concept was to use grasses as a foreground element. Well, the grassy field that I seen seen previously had been mowed, but I found some weeds to use instead. As they say, needs must.

With the foreground and mill so far apart, I would have to take two photos and focus blend them in photoshop. One version would focus on the foreground and the other on the distant factory. I took the best part of each photo to, hopefully, come up with the seamless result with everything in focus from front to back.



Mission Accomplished: I managed to work the technique, and the golden light plus the reflections make the photos good enough, despite the iffy foreground element, particularly in the first photo.

I finally got A Round Tuit, and here is one for you in case you need it.





16 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

You do work magic with your Photoshop skills. The final result is definitely a calendar entry.

Be sure to keep your Round Tuit under lock & key, as I have a great fear that who ever wins the election will be gathering up each & every one - oh the election promises!!!

MARY G said...

Second shot!!!!

Marie Smith said...

Love how you blended these photos! Beautiful work.

Barbara Rogers said...

Those are both great, but the foreground in the first makes it calendar worthy, IMHO. Good editing job!

gigi-hawaii said...

Good play on words. Must remember it, though some people might not get it. LOL.

Mage said...

I like the odd grasses in the first too. Frankly, I wish I knew how to do what you do. Thanks for the round tuit. :)

Marcia said...

You do a lot to get some beautiful photos. I don't think I have the patience for all that.

DJan said...

You are a very accomplished photographer. I like the second shot the best, though :-)

Margaret said...

You are great with Photoshop because I would never know. The golden light to those pictures is very calming.

William Kendall said...

Very well done!

Kay said...

I love what you’re able to do with Photoshop. I can only do basic corrections. Sigh…

The Furry Gnome said...

Good work on those photos! I think most men even tually get A Round Tuit.

Rita said...

I like the second shot because the clouds in the water show up better.
They used to sell round tuit pot holders back in the...70s? 80s? Long time ago, anyways. Maybe they still could be found on Amazon or etsy somewhere. So funny. I like it as a token.

Joanne Noragon said...

I gave away my round tuit.

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you about the round tuit! Well done.

Vicki Lane said...

Those are beautiful!