Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Beer and Tires

After two golden-hour posts, back to lights at blue hour we go.

I really didn't know where I was going to head on this morning, but I found myself in the parking lot of the biggest and main grocery store in town. It's a big and wide building, but where I positioned myself with the wide angle lens, I was able to get it all in the frame with lots of room to spare: 10 second exposure.

Long before opening, workers are arriving to stock the shelves for the day.

Off to my right in the above photo, there is another large store, Canadian Tire. This time, I decided not to try to photograph the whole thing but to concentrate on the part by the entrance: 2 seconds.

Until wow, there have scarcely been any clouds in all of my blue hour photos. Normally, photographers really desire them, but I have been liking the electric blue well enough. However, there were a few clouds in this one.

Of note: I do understand that these buildings, which I have been photographing, are not exactly architectural masterpieces, but there has been something redeeming about them in my opinion.  I think that there has consistently been two good elements in all of them – colour and light. If those elements are good enough, so is the photo – not necessarily great, but good enough to for a momentary pause of approbation.


14 comments:

William Kendall said...

It's the first one that really appeals to me.

Marcia said...

You are having fun!

Marie Smith said...

The sky colour is super in both!

DJan said...

I sure do like the color of the sky in that first one.

Barbara Rogers said...

As long as you're on an architectural bent, how about some old historic looking homes or other old buildings? Just loving the blues in the skies...and you're right, finding the right exposure for the colorful buildings is of course a challenge.

Margaret said...

Beer! That color blue is so vivid. There is something timeless about pictures of buildings especially in the wee hours.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Hmmm. These don't seem to be up to the usual outstanding photos that I've come to expect from you AC ... however you enjoyed it and I am a wee bit smarter, having learned that "approbation" means praise

MARY G said...

If the dark mass in the sky in the second photo is rain coming in, I have to get JG out with the lawnmower now now. Not looking good.

Red said...

With mornings like that , maybe I should get up earlier and enjoy the view.

The Furry Gnome said...

Do you figure out the exposure just by trial and error? I like both photos.

PipeTobacco said...

I think you are doing well in photographing “common” buildings….. they too have an inherent beauty in their architecture and design….. even if they are “common” currently. I think the images are striking and beautiful.

PipeTobacco

Vicki Lane said...

Nice graphic elements in Canadian Tire one.

Jenn Jilks said...

You're doing so well with these!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So right about color being an important factor in what many would call mundane shots, but I think not as well. The red in the tire company logo and on the building when combined with the blue sky seem to me great urban architecture shots…perhaps a good series title?