Tuesday, September 07, 2021

La Hosta, Baby!

As I have reiterated from time to time, we mulch our backyard, mainly because grass didn't grow well there and also because it was a chore to take the lawnmower from front to back around the neighbouring property. So, we opted to mulch and place a few flower pots about. It is a pretty clean look, or it was until hordes of petunias decided to pop out of the mulch en masse.

Aside from the flower pots, there isn't much else except the joe pye of a recent post and one large hosta back in the corner.

On the evening when I tried to photograph the bees, I also noticed one fresh stem blooming on the hosta. It's was very late bloomer, indeed, for all of the other flowers were long since spent and even deadheaded.

I had my camera out already, so I decided to try a few photos. I rather like the results.



These were photos with which, ideally, I should have taken my time and used a tripod, but I like them anyway.

How strange that my perennials have already come and gone for the year, and I have hardly taken any photos. You may recall that I did photograph the last daylily, and this post is of the very last hosta flower, which a day after the photos was rather limp and bedraggled.

As an afterthought, I decided to play with the above photo. I applied various transformations and filter and came up with this result.


That's almost it for the perennials in our garden and certainly for the hosta which was pretty limp even one day after I took these photos. We do have annuals in pots, however. They should last the month, and the new pots of mums will  probably continue well into October.

13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Love that last photo.

DJan said...

If I didn't know what it was, I would never have guessed flowers. Nice pictures, though, especially the last one.

Tabor said...

I have been photographing all my flowers, annuals and perennials. Tons of butterflies this year and plenty of different kinds of bees. It is nice to photo something at a new and close up angle. Most people walking by do not appreciate that Hosta bloom. I have been having fun with the filters and lighting changes in my photos.

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad you caught that last hosta, and had creative fun with it in the photo editing!

Marcia said...

Is that a fragrant Hosta meaning the flowers have a scent? I do like most of their flowers though the guy that had the seminar on Hosta doesn't like the flowers and clips them off except for the fragrant ones.

Mage said...

I'm glad I live in a land without the cold.

Margaret said...

Mums like cool weather so they are the perfect fall flower. I've never had hostas and didn't realize they bloomed. I love the color!

Joanne Noragon said...

Lovely hosta pix.

The Furry Gnome said...

That last artistic pic of the pink Hosta is great!

William Kendall said...

Wonderfully taken.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done. Most of our hostas have been trimmed!
Our gardens are nearly done.
You are very artistic, I think.

Vicki Lane said...

Ooh, I like that last one a lot.

Kay said...

I really love the contrast of the black background. I've always loved hostas and had 3-4 different varieties in our backyard in Illinois.