Monday, September 27, 2021

A Two Minute Stop

With the colour change beginning, I got out early on Saturday morning to take a fairly short rural drive. I don't have to go far from town to find myself in the hinterland. In fact, the photos which I am about to post, were taken just a few minutes out of town and close enough that we almost consider it to be part of our municipality.

There is a little farm where I have taken the occasional picture in the past, and, attracted by low-lying fog, I was drawn to it once again.

I parked on the road for there was nowhere to pull off. I put on my flashers and grabbed the camera. Even though no cars went past on this early morning, when I make stops like this, I want to be quick, so I left the tripod in the car and began to shoot.

This was my first photo attempt, with the barn as the focal point and with that green swath providing a bit of a lead-in. I included the bush on the right to give some balance. I wish it were smaller, but you do the best you can with what is in front of you.


Less than a minute later, I photographed the farmhouse. It's my fave of the morning, not only from this stop but from others that I subsequently made. I confess to adding the smoke from the chimney in post although I think I could have done a better job. 


Next and only a few seconds later came this second photo of the barn. I don't think I moved my feet very much from the house photo. I think I was drawn to the light beginning to strike the tree on the left.


I had one more quick shot to make – trees through the fog. I like it too. It's my second favourite take of the morning.


These photos were all taken in a 2 minute span. It is not the recommended way to go about photography, but since I was parked on the road, I wanted to hurry. I probably could have taken more time because no cars passed by, and I had left enough room for any that might come by. Still, one wants to be both careful and considerate.


13 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I particularly like the last photo. Morning mists do make everything look mysterious.

DJan said...

I am a fan of low lying fog, which adds mystery to any photo. I like the first and the last best.

Marcia said...

We have been having that kind of fog in the morning here. Makes for your lovely photos for sure.

Barbara Rogers said...

Alas, I woke too late this morning to see the fog. Usually I can't view the distant mountain ridge when I wake, but haven't got a good place to photograph it, like you did. Loved the little house, and the yellowish tree with barn/shed.

gigi-hawaii said...

Yes, it is always better to be safe when parked on the road. It is interesting to see the fog in your photos. Makes the pictures look so mysterious.

Margaret said...

I like the barn shots. I am a fan of barns.

Kay said...

That low-lying fog looks almost unearthly. I LOVE it!

William Kendall said...

The mist is a good touch.

The Furry Gnome said...

It's a challenge to take photos in the fog. You did well!

Joanne Noragon said...

Darn shame the photography fairy doesn't lay scenes out in a better fashion for us to photograph!

Jenn Jilks said...

Wow! These are lovely!
BTW
Yes, Rideau Antiques is still going. I think Cliff had a heart attack before COVID, and his daughter is helping out. Or running it. Hard to say. He has a developmentally disabled son who lives with them, as well. My late client was good friends with them for many years.

Red said...

You had a great scenic view and got some good photos.

Rita said...

Oh, I love fog and these are great! :)