Sunday, September 26, 2021

Democracy Has Been Served

Almost a week after our recent federal election, I keep reading the prevailing opinion that it was a waste because it produced a very similar result to the parliament that we already had. I see this on FB and TW but also in news outlets and the occasional blog, and I even hear it from the person on the street as they say. I understand that sentiment, but as usual in my unconventional and contrarian way of thinking, I have a different view. What else is new? lol

Background: this is probably not necessary, but first, let me explain that in our parliamentary system, we can have minority governments in which the party with the most seats does not have a clear majority of all the seats. In other words, when you combine the seats of the several other political parties, they add up to more seats than the governing party has. The system works for the most part as at least one of the other parties will be inclined to support the governing party. However, minority governments don't usually last for the full four year term either because they lose the support of the other parties or because they tire of the constant haranguing by the opposition and decide to seek a further mandate from the people. 

In this election, the vote indicated that almost no one had changed their minds over the two years since the previous election, and we returned a result very similar to the previous parliament. The same party, the Liberals, enjoy the most seats, but they are still in a minority position overall. Therefore, many consider this election to have been a futile waste. 

Before I spout my disagreement with the consensus, I do wish to categorically state that I don't think the election was ether necessary or desirable at this time, especially during the pandemic. To repeat: I don't think this was the time for it. (Having said that, I also realize that the sitting government faced a huge barrage of attacks and understand how they would desire validation at the polls.)

Whatever the case, I don't consider the result to be futile or the election to have been a waste, for democracy has been served. 

The country has given the Liberals a weak mandate (if mandate is the right word) by showing its general support. I think that has some value. The Liberals know that they must exercise caution and prudence in governing, and the oppositions parries must recognize the public's will, or at least they should recognize it.

I do think the result has value. To reiterate: democracy has been served, and that should always be seen as significant positive. We have learned than the citizenry, in general at least, is content to continue to have a minority government led by the same party. Only an election could show us that for certain. I mean to say that one never knows for sure what the public has to say until they get to say it. How were we to know that the election would turn out the way that it has? I am sure that all parties, the opposition parties included, hoped for better support. You simply can't know until you know.

There has been another aspect of the outcry, and it has to do with the cost, which was $600 million. That is, most assuredly, a formidable sum. On the other hand, it amounts to $15 per person, and that doesn't strike me as too high a price to pay in furtherance of democracy.

I also read that the funds could have been spent elsewhere, but it doesn't work like that. A government never says to itself, "We are not going to have an election this year, so let us put the equivalent funds into this other worthwhile endeavour." We all know that it just doesn't happen that way.

To summarize: I do not think that this was the best time to call an election, but I also think that the results are important and that the expense has been worth it.


14 comments:

Marcia said...

I think you should send this to your local paper. It's well written and you convinced me though being south of you I couldn't vote. I hope our 2022 elections will boot some Republicans out and give Biden a stronger position. Unfortunately that's not what the pundits are predicting.

Marie Smith said...

I like the idea of minority government. It keeps the governing party on their toes, which is a good thing. We didn’t need an election but now, onward!

Barbara Rogers said...

Democracy is the goal of both our countries, though it often seems we fall short. The scary thing these days is the attempt to have an autocracy continues to loom in the wings with the Repugnicans. It amazes me that they have such strange goals.

Vicki Lane said...

I appreciate your reasoning and it has improved my hazy understanding of the parliamentary system.

Margaret said...

I have a better understanding now of your political system and agree with you on the value of the vote.

DJan said...

I wish we had a similar type of government south of you, but we have a winner take all government which doesn't work all that well.

Karen said...

I'm hearing that a lot of people who were dissatisfied said they wouldn't bother to vote because they didn't feel it would change anything! Maybe it's time they stepped up and mark their dissatisfaction on that ballot! My significant other was once in that group, but this election he dove right in head first and participated as a volunteer and a voter. He is looking forward to supporting his candidate and his party again.

Jenn Jilks said...

I agree with all you wrote. Time to move on.

I'm tired, too, of reading or hearing about the 'popular vote' which doesn't apply to our system.

This is the time for us all to work together.
It's so sad about the Green Party. My SIL predicted that it would implode, he resigned as Green Party council president because it was just draining him. They blame Annamie, but it was Elizabeth May who let them attack her. May won't let go.

Mage said...

Thank you.

Blondi Blathers said...

And let me add, AC, that however many dollars were spent, a good portion of them went to pay workers at the polling booths, trainers, rent for municipal halls for polling places, transportation companies for the campaigners, and so on in every province and territory. A lot of people were employed, which is good for them and good for the economy. -Kate

William Kendall said...

I agree with you.

Red said...

I agree with your opinion here. Elections are not simple. If we knew what was up we wouldn't have one.

Kay said...

Good for you.
Down here, we have Republican states paying oodles of money to try and prove the election wrong. We have 25% of Americans who still think Trump won. Sigh... You have it much better.

Patio Postcards said...

Ummm an interesting read as were the comments. I agree we must do all we can to keep our democracy alive & voting is a primary way. We must also encourage every one, that is eligible, to vote.