Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Jeepers Creepers

Sue had a park meetup with a friend. I had an hour to wander about and take some pictures. One of my notions was to drive directly, opposite across the river and take some snaps of the pair from the other bank.


I had to use my longest lens, fully extended, so I opted for a very fast shutter speed to try to minimize camera shake. That, along with stabilization activated on the lens, yielded a pretty good result, all things considered.

In the next photo, I didn't have the lens quite fully extended because  I was happy to capture some of the nearer foliage out of focus for effect. This blurry effect is known as bokeh but more often occurs in the background than the foreground.


The area that I was in is woodland but very scrubby. I ambled along the path (it's not long) and managed to photograph a few instances of leaves turning colour. Once again, I was at a distance and using my telephoto fully extended. Even then, I had to do a lot of cropping in post to get what I wanted. Note: that is out-of-focus bokeh in the background.


Despite cropping, there remained much distraction in the next photo, so I replaced the background entirely with black. While I am able to recognize maple and oak leaves, I remain ignorant of most leaves and wild flowers, but someone on Flickr has advised me that this is a Virginia Creeper, which surprises me quite a lot. Conditions were very contrasty, so a part of the leaf is pretty well blown out.


Who knows what kind of a colour display we'll have this year with so many trees having been ravaged by gypsy moths. Little bits like this might have to suffice. We shall see what we shall see.

15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Great leaf photos. Nice photo reminder for Sue & her friend & their summer end meet up. :)

Marie Smith said...

I love the reflections on the water in the first two photos, AC. Amazing what you can do when you know what you are doing!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Wow, AC, you are really producing some amazing effects. My favorite is the 2nd shot of Sue and friend.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh thank you so much for posting some early autumn colors! And the first is my fav. of the Sue and Friend photos. I think I prefer the bokeh in the background, maybe. Yes, the colors in the reflection are superb!

Marcia said...

Didn't realize you could change the background of a photo. I learn a lot from your posts about photography though will never put the knowledge to use.

William Kendall said...

That last shot is my favourite.

Karen said...

The colors are just getting spectacular up the Valley. It's quite vibrant out my way, right next to Algonquin. Down at my Brother In Laws place on the Opeongo Line, it's still pretty green with spots starting to appear. I think they will be right in the peak long after ours have started to drop.

gigi-hawaii said...

The foliage looks nice. I am glad that Sue and her friend had a good time chatting.

Margaret said...

The photos of Sue and her friend are so peaceful. I love leaves and their different shapes and colors. Like you, I don't often know what they are!

Ed said...

Years ago, I carried a tripod with me when out and about with the camera. These days with image stabilization being as good as it is, I'm not even sure where my tripod is at. Where ever it is, I'm sure it has a thick layer of dust on it.

Mage said...

Sue and her friend make wonderful models. I too like that last leaf.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You did a great job with the leaves. It all looks very artistic.

Joanne Noragon said...

Nice photo of Sue and friend.

Jenn Jilks said...

On our recent travels we've seen lots of trees changing! It is a lovely time of year.
Excellent photowork.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have not seen vast color shifts on our road trips, but I suspect that there are some isolated incidents in the local parks. Your leaf closeups may have given me the impetus to go for a walk this weekend to the local park if the predicted ☔️ holds off.