Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Highly Cropped Fireworks

I threatened to foist more fireworks upon you, and here are a few that are highly cropped to focus more closely on town hall, specifically the clock tower.

First though, some were wondering how I do fireworks.

Of course I use a tripod, and I also use a remote shutter release. I can then enjoy the fireworks and keep clicking the shutter without actually attending to the camera, which is stable and pre-focused.

The aperture is f11. the ISO is 100, and the shutter is 4 seconds. I always use these settings.

I just start clicking. Once one 4 second shot is done, I press again within another second or two. I usably don't try to guess the timing but just keep clicking over and over again.

On to the photos. 

I played around and experimented with various crop ratios. I left the lighted side of town hall in most of the photos, but I think cropping that out is really best, as in the second and fourth pictures.





That's a wrap for today, but you just know that I am not done (or Donne although I am also John), doncha?

12 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I can imagine you there shooting the fireworks, AC. What a wonderful hobby it is! Love the shots with the tower!

Vicki Lane said...

Well donne, John!

Barbara Rogers said...

I agree with you, leaving out the side of the building works best for my eye too!

MARY G said...

Second shot does, it for me, but they are all, worthwhile.

William Kendall said...

Dazzling.

RedPat said...

I agree with you but still think they are all great.

Catalyst said...

Sensational but I'll pick #3 as my favorite.

roentare said...

Great work! Love the night long exposure.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like the second one best.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I really like the tower clock in background.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Since my luck at shooting fireworks has been not that good, I appreciated that you provided the settings, John. These seem to work, so why diviate from a good thing.

Jenn Jilks said...

They really are wonderful photos.