Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Razzmatazz

It’s Sue’s third morning home, so I’ll post a wee update.

She was given stool-softener tablets, and I think they have wreaked more havoc than anything. Aside from that, or along with that, she feels very bloated. The pain, however, is more under control — not gone, but lessened in intensity.

After the first night in the chair, she tried the bed for the past two nights. Finding a stool to help her climb in and then arranging the pillows better, led to a better sleep last night. And she wanted a full mug of coffee this morning. Progress.

Somewhat miraculously, she has managed to keep up with her daily photos. Yesterday, her prompt was something to do with unique perspectives. When Sha and JJ dropped by with milkshakes in an attempt to get something more into her, she set up a photo with JJ.

She had him hug her while I snapped a picture of his hands. Then, I took a picture of her hands holding him. She superimposed them in one of her programs and then added some magic razzmatazz.


Meanwhile, I’ve managed the laundry. I am struck that with all of the knobs and dials on the machines that she only adjusts one or two. I think that I more or less have it down, but I will likely require more repetition, especially with the sorting, to get it firmly implanted in my wee, male brain. I learn slowly, but I learn.

Also, after washing many dishes by hand, I relented and used the dishwasher last night. I’ll have to empty it in a bit. Then, I will pick up this week’s grocery order. I ordered online because I didn’t want to leave Sue alone for too log whilst I wandered abut the store. Oh, and I put the garbage out this morning, which is a first since Sue had been attending too due to my convalescence. 

We're not doing too well with food, but we have bananas, cereal and toast, so we are surviving. Really, neither of us have had much of an appetite.

So, there we be.

27 comments:

Ed said...

For some reason, your use of "stroll" softener tablets had taken my mind down a much different path. I imagine someone bebopping down the street at a slow pace instead of walking at a fast and stiff gait.

But I get your point and hope Sue heals up fast.

Anvilcloud said...

@E. Doggone, I thought I had caught and corrected that. Sigh.

Barbara Rogers said...

Having been in that same position, my only suggestion is strolling around, as much as possible. That's advice to myself often as well. Loved the modern art approach to the hug. Very pretty. Keep on keeping on, and you might want more veggies somewhere in your diet!!

DrumMajor said...

Maybe Sue should visit a doc before any possible blockage gets worse; with xrays and CT scan? 3 days is a long time for such pain. Linda in Kansas

Jenny the Pirate said...

Wanting her coffee is a good sign. I hope you both have a peaceful, relaxing day. xoxo

Boud said...

Hoping you both feel better. Gentle walking is a good idea for Sue. It takes a while for the digestion to adapt to a change.

Karen said...

Hope Sue starts feeling better. I always find the third day after surgery, things either start looking up or go south.
That photo with the hands is a keeper! I'd frame that one for Grandmother and the Boy.

gigi-hawaii said...

It's a good thing you have each other.

Granny Sue said...

The photo is a real work of art! I am glad you found a stool to help her get into bed. I was advised to use stool softeners too, but it took a good 3 days for any "action"! I agree that more veggies are definitely needed. The bloat comes from all the fluid and air they pump in for a surgery, miserable but I suppose necessary. I still feel a bit bloated a week later.
Sending prayers for both of you. We are kinda in the same boat, as my husband somehow hurt his back last week, and can't do many of the things that I also can't do. The challenge of getting older!

Margaret said...

That's a beautiful and evocative photo. I'm delighted that Sue is making such progress and sorry I missed out on the typo because it's corrected now. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

I am glad you are making progress. Both of you!
Take it easy!

DJan said...

I never saw the original typo either, but it sure made me smile to read the comments about it! Glad she's making progress, and that hands production is stellar! :-)

Damselfly said...

Sue should ditch bananas until her gut is in a more normal state. Grapes would be a good replacement and are helpful in keeping the gut on an even keel.
Best wishes to you both!

RedPat said...

Her system has been through a lot so I'm sure she doesn't feel like eating much. I never eat much when stressed. Thinking of you guys.

Marie Smith said...

It sounds like Sue is making slow and steady progress. You are too when it comes to the house part. Well done, AC. Take care, Sue.

Liz Hinds said...

Just catching up, It all sounds horrible. Poor Sue, but thank goodness she was able to have such speedy attention.

Christina said...

I am glad to hear Sue is feeling a little better, improved to previously. Healing takes a long time but I hope she'll be a little better every day. It is never too late to learn to do laundry, a very useful skill to have. I hope both of you find your appetite soon.

roentare said...

It is great that Sue is progressing as passing bowel movement is the first goal with any bowel surgery. The bowel movement is needed to train the ongoing peristalsis otherwise the bowel would not be viable.

You should just get a sophisticated washing machine like me. One button does it all!

Joanne Noragon said...

Thank you for the fun update.

Red said...

Things are looking up. I hope Sue continues to recover.

Patio Postcards said...

Interesting photo Sue took of hands. While Mr Man is still in strict recovery mode from the last eye surgery, I'm learning some of his tasks to take on ... starting the lawn mower & mowing the lawn in a designated pattern (lol).

Let's hope that coffee aids in getting things moving along.

Debby said...

Oh, how I love salad! I would put together a salad and skip cooking at all. You seem to be finding your way. Sue will get you trained in no time! :) Take care.

Jinksy said...

Stunning artwork here! *smiles*

William Kendall said...

Not something I'd want to go through!

Jenny Woolf said...

Well done to Sue for keeping up the photos. That's a good one with the hands- so creative. I do hope you are through with this soon, both of you.

Jeanie said...

That hands photo is totally amazing. What a tough time you two have been having. I hope things ease up soon.

I'm wondering if Sue's ER adventure the following day had anything to do with a reaction to the medicine she was on...

MARY G said...

Sue should be eating to get her system working (voice of experience here). Rice, if she can stomach it. Fruit. Oatmeal, in small quantities. Lots of fluids, if no nausea.
And all I have is a new metal knee... And a recliner for my nightly, between ice pa k, naps.
Love to Sue and to you, and hold the black socks.